How do you open the door at home?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How do you open the door at home?

Post by Excaliber »

speedsix wrote:
johnson0317 wrote:I am not sure if I have related this story before. This happened when I was a travelling nurse, around 1992. I was living in Prince George's County, in Maryland. At the time, it was the car-jacking capital of the United States. If you remember the story of the lady who was dragged to death by a car-jacker, that was from my apartment complex. My company put me and my room-mate up in a very nice complex, but the drug dealers could afford it also. One night, Halloween, I had ordered pizza. The doorbell rang and I opened the door. Four young men walked right into my apartment. Trust me, they were not invited, and they were up to no good. I instinctively held up the candy dish, and they grabbed huge handfuls of candy. Something clicked in my brain and I called out, over my shoulder, "Hey, we are out of candy, bring some more out". The four young men turned and bolted. I guess the unknown in the other room, which was actually a short, young lady, was too much for them to take a chance for.

Opening that door, without looking through the peephole first, could have been a huge mistake on my part. I think God was looking out for me, cause I did just the right thing, after doing just the wrong thing. I can promise you, I do not open my door, anymore, without peeking first!
...an exceptionally good example of thinking on your feet...
:iagree:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Poldark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Poldark »

I recently installed a Lorex IR wireless camera high in a corner of the porch ,I also have one covering the rear patio and garage doors . If the door bell rings I nip into the bedroom where I have a 4 station DVR linked to a monitor screen . The DVR splits the screen into 4 for use with up to 4 cameras, I can see who is at the door day and night. Still have my small snubby always handy in my owb holster at home . The DVR has a motion detector so can see on playback if any one has been sniffing around the place whilst we have been out. . :thumbs2:
Term Limits, Please.

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Poldark wrote:I recently installed a Lorex IR wireless camera high in a corner of the porch ,I also have one covering the rear patio and garage doors . If the door bell rings I nip into the bedroom where I have a 4 station DVR linked to a monitor screen . The DVR splits the screen into 4 for use with up to 4 cameras, I can see who is at the door day and night. Still have my small snubby always handy in my owb holster at home . The DVR has a motion detector so can see on playback if any one has been sniffing around the place whilst we have been out. . :thumbs2:
We also have a Lorex 4 camera wireless system. We do have one periodic problem with it: One or more of our cameras ceases to transmit to the receiver on the recorder unit with black screen message "connecting". We do the drill, punching the receiver module button, going to the camera button and punching it... Usually this re-sets the camera. However, on occasion the dang thing won't reset!! We have line of sight wireless transmission. The only obstruction are some small upright tree leaves, branches that only affects ONE camera of TWO that are at same location. (The user manual and customer service doesn't help much...)

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do??

Appreciate any help!

Bill
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

Poldark

Post by Poldark »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:
Poldark wrote:I recently installed a Lorex IR wireless camera high in a corner of the porch ,I also have one covering the rear patio and garage doors . If the door bell rings I nip into the bedroom where I have a 4 station DVR linked to a monitor screen . The DVR splits the screen into 4 for use with up to 4 cameras, I can see who is at the door day and night. Still have my small snubby always handy in my owb holster at home . The DVR has a motion detector so can see on playback if any one has been sniffing around the place whilst we have been out. . :thumbs2:
We also have a Lorex 4 camera wireless system. We do have one periodic problem with it: One or more of our cameras ceases to transmit to the receiver on the recorder unit with black screen message "connecting". We do the drill, punching the receiver module button, going to the camera button and punching it... Usually this re-sets the camera. However, on occasion the dang thing won't reset!! We have line of sight wireless transmission. The only obstruction are some small upright tree leaves, branches that only affects ONE camera of TWO that are at same location. (The user manual and customer service doesn't help much...)

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do??

Appreciate any help!

Bill
We have one camera unit that will sometimes shut down, I power down,power up the camera and to date it resets. We do have a Nightowl DVR with internal hard drive, also use a 17 inch HP monitor and it works well with my set up. I am wondering if our high daily temps might be causing some issues.
Term Limits, Please.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

kjolly wrote:If you don't answer the door they may assume no one home and procede with a break in.
Which would make a shooting even more justiied.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I answer the door by looking though my pipsite and asking who there and what they want. If I am not excepting company I have my 45 out cocked and unlocked.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Security camera mounted above the porch wired to my flatscreen in my office. I switch the TV to "AV" during the day and when the door bell rings, I can see who it is.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Longshot38

Post by Longshot38 »

The glass in my front door allows my to see who is there before opening the door. However the best methodology for this is to put your foot against the leading edge of the door and open the door just enough to see who is there. Your foot makes an excellent door stop that is much more effective then your body due to center of gravity being so low. Ones upper torso has mass but if you utilize this part of your body then the center of gravity is sits to high thus allowing ones own body weight to be used against them. As for a weapon that is up to you but I generally operate under the premise that is my pants are then so is my pistol. But it is not unheard of for me to answer the door with a 12 ga was well.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Have you tested that with a large friend trying to bodycheck or kick the door past that improvised door stop?

Longshot38

Post by Longshot38 »

Actually yes. Just not with my front door. When you have spent your entire career doing things like forceable entry you figure a few things out ;-) .
Last edited by Longshot38 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

Having a sturdy storm door as a fortification to the regular front door is a bonus. With the motion sensitive periphery lights it's usually easy to see what's up through the peephole. Opening the front door to the heavy-duty storm door allows a full view of any visitor and an opportunity for conversation without exposure.
Honor Necessity

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

When the bell rings or someone knocks, I take my time moving towards the door. This allows about 300 lbs. or snarling, barking, frothing dogs to crash against the front door, jump at the adjacent window and generally act like they mean business. The caller can see and hear me yelling at the beasts and pushing them out of the way. If I am lucky, one of them will start chewing on another one so it looks like a big fight is brewing. About that time I crack the door just wide enough to talk through and also to let a dog snout into the crack. I shout over the barking to ask how I can help? Most people have moved back down the walk, the ones that dont kind of worry me, but that's what IWB package is for.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

NaCl

Post by NaCl »

I live in a fairly safe area, but I have convinced my fiance (22 Y.O.) to not answer the door if I'm not there ( I travel for work). I got me CHL because I'm in a management position over some excons. A peer had his and his wife's car fire bombed one night!

Am I being paranoid for such a young age? I'm 26 and I don't know anyone else my age who even thinks about these things.
Is a camera better than a peep hole? I need one or the other. I figure a camera could be set up so I can view those at the door from behind.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

NaCl wrote:I live in a fairly safe area, but I have convinced my fiance (22 Y.O.) to not answer the door if I'm not there ( I travel for work). I got me CHL because I'm in a management position over some excons. A peer had his and his wife's car fire bombed one night!

Am I being paranoid for such a young age? I'm 26 and I don't know anyone else my age who even thinks about these things.
Is a camera better than a peep hole? I need one or the other. I figure a camera could be set up so I can view those at the door from behind.
I'm 25 and have had my CHL since I was 22. There may only be a few young uns with a firm grasp on reality, but you're not the only one. :tiphat:

Edit to add: When at home, a firearm is either on my person or within reach. So when I hear the door, I'm already armed to answer, or just need to grab my .357 before I do. Either way, procedure is the same. Check the peephole, unlock door, crack enough to interact...tell them to get off my lawn. "rlol"
TANSTAAFL

F4injected

Post by F4injected »

You know, call me paranoid, but I usually never even open my door unless I know the person. I'll look through the glass on the side or on the door, and I'll even talk to them through the door. If I deem the person to be relatively safe, then I MAY open the door, but if it's just a solicitor, I'll just say politely decline their offer. And watch them walk away.

Return to “Never Again!!”