Approached By A Stranger While Pumping Gas

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Blindref757
Posts in topic: 5

Approached By A Stranger While Pumping Gas

Post by Blindref757 »

I was at the local Wal-Mart this morning and had just put the nozzle in my tank when a strange man approaches me at the back of my vehicle. I was carrying and my 9 yr old boy was attending the pump. He was about 40, wearing denim shorts, a red t-shirt, and was a little dirty and unshaven. The stranger told me that he was here in Tyler working (from Dallas) and his truck threw a belt. He needed a ride to his hotel 3 miles away and offered me money to take him. I was immediately kicking myself when I patted my pocket and realized that my phone was charging inside my car and that the key was in the ignition. I told him that our PD has a service vehicle on duty during the day that helps disabled motorists and told him that I would gladly call them. He immediately backed up and declined that service...mumbling that he was frustrated because nobody would help him in this town and he again offered to pay me. I told him that money wasn't the issue...that I didn't know him was the problem. He walked away and engaged another guy pumping gas. I called 911...but in the time it took to pump $50 in gas, I didn't ever see an officer and the dude disappeared.

The whole incident didn't pass the smell test.
1. They sell a few belts inside Wal-Mart
2. Why didn't he ask me to take him to the parts store right up the street?
3. What was at his hotel that would have solved his problem?
4. Why was money so important to him.
5. Why was he not interested in help from a Tyler PD service officer?
6. Why would he be here from Dallas without a cell phone and someone to call?

I did have my thumb under my shirt and my strong side turned away from him. I was ready if things got ugly like the guy in Ohio...but I made some mistakes that I can learn from.

1. My phone should have been with me.
2. My keys should not have been in the ignition...my car fills from the passenger side (I don't like that). The guy could have easily jacked my car.
3. I should have instructed my kid into the car to get him out of harms way immediately upon being approached (if the keys weren't in the car).

Situational awareness is crucial. I've only been a CHL holder for a couple of months...so I'm not an expert by any means. This was a good learning opportunity for me and I'd have been a lot more oblivious a year ago. Thanks to the many people on this board who have helped me improve in this area. It's a fast paced world out there!

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Approached By A Stranger While Pumping Gas

Post by Excaliber »

Blindref757 wrote:I was at the local Wal-Mart this morning and had just put the nozzle in my tank when a strange man approaches me at the back of my vehicle. I was carrying and my 9 yr old boy was attending the pump. He was about 40, wearing denim shorts, a red t-shirt, and was a little dirty and unshaven. The stranger told me that he was here in Tyler working (from Dallas) and his truck threw a belt. He needed a ride to his hotel 3 miles away and offered me money to take him. I was immediately kicking myself when I patted my pocket and realized that my phone was charging inside my car and that the key was in the ignition. I told him that our PD has a service vehicle on duty during the day that helps disabled motorists and told him that I would gladly call them. He immediately backed up and declined that service...mumbling that he was frustrated because nobody would help him in this town and he again offered to pay me. I told him that money wasn't the issue...that I didn't know him was the problem. He walked away and engaged another guy pumping gas. I called 911...but in the time it took to pump $50 in gas, I didn't ever see an officer and the dude disappeared.

The whole incident didn't pass the smell test.
1. They sell a few belts inside Wal-Mart
2. Why didn't he ask me to take him to the parts store right up the street?
3. What was at his hotel that would have solved his problem?
4. Why was money so important to him.
5. Why was he not interested in help from a Tyler PD service officer?
6. Why would he be here from Dallas without a cell phone and someone to call?

I did have my thumb under my shirt and my strong side turned away from him. I was ready if things got ugly like the guy in Ohio...but I made some mistakes that I can learn from.

1. My phone should have been with me.
2. My keys should not have been in the ignition...my car fills from the passenger side (I don't like that). The guy could have easily jacked my car.
3. I should have instructed my kid into the car to get him out of harms way immediately upon being approached (if the keys weren't in the car).

Situational awareness is crucial. I've only been a CHL holder for a couple of months...so I'm not an expert by any means. This was a good learning opportunity for me and I'd have been a lot more oblivious a year ago. Thanks to the many people on this board who have helped me improve in this area. It's a fast paced world out there!
You managed this well.

You recognized that the stranger's story didn't add up, and that he obviously wanted something other than what he said he did because he refused other available and even free ways to get it.

You also did a mental "status check" and assessed what options you did and didn't have available (phone, keys in ignition, etc.) and worked with what you had.

Once the incident was over, you did an "after action review" and made mental notes on how to better prepare for next time.

Good job!

One suggested addition: Keep your head on a swivel when outside your car at a gas pump. This is a vulnerable situation and recognizing potential trouble before it gets close gives you lots more options for avoiding it. Many approaches can be deterred by direct eye contact at a distance, and verbal warnings if the subject doesn't take the nonverbal clue. The key is to see potential trouble before it becomes close trouble.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Kirk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kirk »

I glad to hear everything turned out good.

I had a friend (LEO) who I used to give a hard time because when ever he stepped out of his car he locked it. Didn't matter whether it was running or he was going to be 2 feet away from it, he always carried a second set of keys. He would explain that you never knew when someone is going to try to get into you car and it doesn't take any time to unlock the door. So I have gotten in the habit of doing this which I feel better when I'm filling up no one is opening the passenger door and getting in.
KE5HLZ
NRA Life Member

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Kirk wrote:I had a friend (LEO) who I used to give a hard time because when ever he stepped out of his car he locked it. Didn't matter whether it was running or he was going to be 2 feet away from it, he always carried a second set of keys. He would explain that you never knew when someone is going to try to get into you car and it doesn't take any time to unlock the door. So I have gotten in the habit of doing this which I feel better when I'm filling up no one is opening the passenger door and getting in.
I'll lock it while I'm filling up if I get the willies or something, but my car locks the fuel door whenever the other doors are locked, so I have to do this "lock->unlock->open fuel flap->lock" dance if I want my doors locked the entire time I'm getting gas. (It does the same thing with the trunk, too, but at least there's a separate button for that on the key fob.)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Blindref757 wrote:... I called 911...but in the time it took to pump $50 in gas, I didn't ever see an officer ...
Even if there was a patrol car across the street, I don't think there is a 911 system known to man that can process a call and dispatch in less than 15 seconds... "rlol"

More seriously, good job overall and maybe for the best that you went through this. Sharpened you up without any damage.

I also keep two keys on me so I can lock my truck, running or not.
USAF 1982-2005

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

Blindref757 wrote: He was about 40, wearing denim shorts
Jorts? That alone might have made me draw down on him. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

In all seriousness, good job on offering to call the police for him. My first step with any panhandlers is to always offer to call the police if they need assistance. If they persist, a solid stare with the following phrase seems to work wonders: "I have NOTHING you want.". It lets him know you're not an easy mark, and may just imply you might have SOMETHING that he might NOT want. If the police call doesn't scare em off, that phrase always does. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

74novaman wrote:
Jorts? That alone might have made me draw down on him. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
What? I don't get it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Similar incident happened to me at a gas station near Hobby airport on Broadway. A tall lanky black guy with a cane in his hand (not using it to walk) started coming in between the pump and my truck asking for money on his way toward me. I gave him the hand up and loud BACK OFF! while i got my other hand on my pocket carried 642. I didn't draw but it was halfway out of the holster. He stopped in his tracks and started cussing at me for treating him that way. I backed into my truck and partially closed the door and grabbed my phone. Made sure it was obvious to him so he could see I was calling someone. He briskly walked away. Called 911 and gave them a desciption of the guy but I finished pumping gas before I saw anyone from the PD arrive. I pull my keys and lock all but the driver door everytime now.

Never let your guard down.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

C-dub wrote:
74novaman wrote:
What? I don't get it.
Jorts= Jean Shorts. They've kind of out of fashion with...well everyone but Daisy Duke, and she can keep wearing them. :coolgleamA:
TANSTAAFL

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

My truck broke down in Luling about 10 years ago. Local PD officer saw me and he helped me get the tow truck guy and what ever else I needed. If they don't want the PD, they are up to no good.
TSRA Life Memeber

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

74novaman wrote:
C-dub wrote:
74novaman wrote:
What? I don't get it.
Jorts= Jean Shorts. They've kind of out of fashion with...well everyone but Daisy Duke, and she can keep wearing them. :coolgleamA:
Uh oh. I better get mine outta my closet. I think I have three pairs. :roll:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Dan20703 wrote:Similar incident happened to me at a gas station near Hobby airport on Broadway. A tall lanky black guy with a cane in his hand (not using it to walk) started coming in between the pump and my truck asking for money on his way toward me. I gave him the hand up and loud BACK OFF! while i got my other hand on my pocket carried 642. I didn't draw but it was halfway out of the holster. He stopped in his tracks and started cussing at me for treating him that way. I backed into my truck and partially closed the door and grabbed my phone. Made sure it was obvious to him so he could see I was calling someone. He briskly walked away. Called 911 and gave them a desciption of the guy but I finished pumping gas before I saw anyone from the PD arrive. I pull my keys and lock all but the driver door everytime now.

Never let your guard down.
You know that's a great area when HPD has a substation based in one of the apartment complexes.... I recently had to pick up my wife from Hobby late one evening and you can believe that I had my friends Smith & Wesson riding with me.

Thanks to this forum and the shooting in Ohio, I've become a lot more paranoid...I mean.... aware of my surroundings while pumping gas.
Last edited by SQLGeek on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psalm 91:2

CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Same thing happened to me when i was a stupid teenager. I idiotically offered the guy a ride and he took me all over Tyler (from Wal-mart) and i think he bought drugs and went to different houses saying no one was home. I was so Dumb!!! :banghead: I regret that everyday and realize that the Good Lord was watching out for me and keeping me safe that evening. But yeah, good call on not picking him up :thumbs2:
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Chuck Norris once sneezed on an 18 wheeler, the result was Optimus Prime.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
Crimson Trace Laser grips
CrossBreed Super Tuck

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

If it don't feel right, it usually isn't.

The way I look at it, potential threats generally have to accomplish 3 things before they can attack: 1) Identify a target, 2) Close the distance, 3) Position for an attack.

While the "stinkeye" and body language are generally enough to communicate to the potential threat that I am NOT a good target during 1) and 2), should they attempt to close to a position of advantage, they will get a verbal warning and the extended hand of "you are entering potentially dangerous territory", and if they ignore that warning and continue to try to close the distance, that is hostile intent IMO, and it is time to take defensive action commensurate with the threat at hand. While it may not be necessary to draw if other avenues are available, IMO, you must be assertive, decisive, and take action BEFORE they can encroach on your personal space.

I don't have the patience for bums, beggars, idiots, or "criminal interview" games, and my body language and assertiveness makes that perfectly clear, so they know they either need to beat feet and pick somebody else, or get on with it and take their chances. I could care less either way...
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Topic author
Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

I'm slowly learning that I don't have to be a nice guy all the time.

Return to “Never Again!!”