First Time Flying With Handgun (Long read)

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First Time Flying With Handgun (Long read)

Post by propellerhead »

Hmmm... can I ship a pistol to an FFL in IL, fly to IL, pick up the pistol from the FFL, then drive home to TX on our road trip? This seems easier than flying with the pistol.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

propellerhead wrote:Hmmm... can I ship a pistol to an FFL in IL, fly to IL, pick up the pistol from the FFL, then drive home to TX on our road trip? This seems easier than flying with the pistol.
No, you cannot.

The FFL there cannot transfer it to you because you are not an IL resident.

However, it is perfectly legal to ship it directly to yourself in IL. For example, if you are going to stay in a hotel, ship it to yourself c/o the hotel.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

stroguy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stroguy »

Jumping Frog wrote:
propellerhead wrote:Hmmm... can I ship a pistol to an FFL in IL, fly to IL, pick up the pistol from the FFL, then drive home to TX on our road trip? This seems easier than flying with the pistol.
No, you cannot.

However, it is perfectly legal to ship it directly to yourself in IL. For example, if you are going to stay in a hotel, ship it to yourself c/o the hotel.
That might be a bit wrong. I shipped a gun to AZ for some gunsmithing. I proposed to the smith I might be there on a trip as he was finishing up the pistol and I could just pick it up. He said that would be fine to save shipping it back to my house. An FFL out of state doing smithing work can ship the pistol back to your residence, and you would be able to pick it up in that state. It is yours or my property.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

stroguy wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
No, you cannot.

That might be a bit wrong. I shipped a gun to AZ for some gunsmithing. I proposed to the smith I might be there on a trip as he was finishing up the pistol and I could just pick it up. He said that would be fine to save shipping it back to my house. An FFL out of state doing smithing work can ship the pistol back to your residence, and you would be able to pick it up in that state. It is yours or my property.
The fact is the FFL is not transferring it to you if you already own it. As long as you are legally allowed to have the gun in that state they can just give it to you, no paperwork involved.

The thing you CAN'T do is go to another state and purchase a handgun and them allow you to walk out with it. It has to be shipped back to an FFL in your state of residence and they can transfer it to you in person when you are in-state.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

stroguy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stroguy »

I think we were all funneling to that final conclusion.

Return to “Never Again!!”