Bad First Carry

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bad First Carry

Post by johnson0317 »

I will give you that one. When I first came to Tyler, I almost got into three accidents on the way to the grocery store...day one. People here really do not look, nor really care. There is no concept of "lane of turn", and they will pull over several lanes. You can try to turn right, at a red light, and have them flip you off cause you turned into the far right lane, and they wanted to make a left hand turn going over three lanes, and into your lane. I did an assignment in San Jose, with a much higher volume of traffic, and people made it work. Looked like pandemonium, but it was like a well choreographed dance.
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Back in the olden days, prior to the "road rage" immigrants, I used to roll down a window and compliment some drivers on their beautiful Mercedes or Jaguar, after they said thanks, I'd ask if it cost so much that they couldn't afford the lane change/turn signal option. ... I'm less offensive now though. ;-)

In Burnet County, it's odd if strangers don't wave at you on the road.... with the whole hand, not just 1 finger .... freindly folks in the country/smaller towns
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

speedsix
Posts in topic: 7

Post by speedsix »

...same where I was raised in Pa and La...folks were friendlier back then...

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

RPB wrote: "rlol"
Wasn't like that in the 1950s, 1960s, or early 1970s,
And I'd be willing to bet that half the drivers weren't unlicensed, uninsured illegals . . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...and taxi drivers spoke English as their native language...and truckers were a higher class of man that you could trust to help you...and and and...my, have times changed...

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

I too was amazed at the difference in CA and TX traffic-manners/culture when I arrived here.

What is even more amazing is the fact that in TX a driver is more likely to be packing... go figure!
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...there IS a connection :lol: :lol:

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Practice courtesy on the road and stay calm. Never roll your window down or get out of the car. They consider this a challenge.
Remember the biggest caliber you have is your car.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Topic author
sxd45

Post by sxd45 »

Alot of replies, I figured I played my cards right by just leaving. It really just amazes me at how mad someone can get over something so petty, I think life is too short to get worked up over stupid things not to mention bad for your health as far as blood pressure goes. I will admit that I wanted to say something to him but figured I should just let it go. I am sure I will see him again as he probably lives in the area. Hopefully he will forget about it.
Online App: 9/12/11
Fingerprints: 9/13/11
Class: 9/17/11
Mailed: 9/19/11
Manufacturing pending: 9/28/11
Manufacturing: 9/29/11
Mailed: 10/01/11
Plastic: 10/07/11

terryg

Post by terryg »

speedsix wrote:...proved you aren't lookin' for trouble...and you're not hot-headed...in a give-and-take situation, sometimes we gives...and sometimes we takes!!! that guy needs to hear my favorite Eagles song: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bahahaha. When I saw Eagles song, and given the current topic, I fully expected to get "Take It Easy" when I clicked the link!!!
... this space intentionally left blank ...

tboesche

Post by tboesche »

speedsix wrote:...amazing to me how some who won't even look you in the eye on the sidewalk become the Incredible Hulk when they get behind the wheel...talk about "compensating"...!!!
Nascar driver Jeff Gordon said best a few years ago. He was asked why he was hard driving against a much larger driver. "We are all 3800 lbs in the car."
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

I totally agree about the aspect of being calmer and less confrontational when carrying, something I suspect few non-gun people would understand.

Perhaps this calming effect is one oi the greatest benefits of CHL.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Always keep cool, look for a way out and always have your weapon within easy reach, call to report road rage incident, especially if contact, verbal or otherwise is made.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Taggart

Post by Taggart »

Purplehood wrote:I too was amazed at the difference in CA and TX traffic-manners/culture when I arrived here.

What is even more amazing is the fact that in TX a driver is more likely to be packing... go figure!
Not sure how you guys formed your opinions. I was pleased to find Dallas roads in much better shape than the narrow, cratered, no-shoulder freeways I was used to in Los Angeles and San Jose during the two decades I lived there, and to also find Texas drivers much more polite. Using your turn signal for a lane change on a California freeway is an invitation for the guy in the next lane to speed up and block you from coming over, then glare at you for trying to invade his turf; here someone always makes a gap.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...our experience may vary :lol:

Return to “Never Again!!”