Do you treat your pets like children? If so.....

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Cobra Medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you treat your pets like children? If so.....

Post by Cobra Medic »

Keith B wrote:
koconcept wrote:at one time i had 12 chldren and never did one of them run loose except on hunting trips. Parents need to understand a few things. 1.When you become the parent of a child you are responsible for that childs well being and safety. 2. when you become the parent of a child you are responible for the damages and injury that child may cause on another child or person. Proper containment is not cruel it is resposible. (Left that last part as it is appropriate)
Fixed it for you. :biggrinjester:
:hurry:

A timely reminder for those choosing to travel with chldren next week.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

PeteCamp

Post by PeteCamp »

I have a question. I'm not up on animal laws, but every time we have a human bitten by a dog, the dog must be taken in and placed under observation for, I think, a week or so. I believe this might be mitigated by current proof of rabies vaccination? I thought most counties (cities?) had to do this because of the rabies problem in Texas. Nothing was said about this by the OP. Was it done? I guess this could be just a city matter?

I don't think they have the same procedure for children who bite humans or pets! :lol:

Edit: Thinking about this, the OP and others bitten were extremely lucky. These animals had a history of leaving the property and hunting. Perhaps they encountered skunks or ?? Rabies treatment is truly one of the things best avioded.

koconcept
Posts in topic: 4

Post by koconcept »

I'm not sure what your trying to get at by "fixing" my post but I guess the same logic could be applied to children.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

koconcept wrote:I'm not sure what your trying to get at by "fixing" my post but I guess the same logic could be applied to children.
Really not fixing it; just being a little silly. But it does apply to those who let their real offspring run loose.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix
Posts in topic: 10

Post by speedsix »

...the parallels are funny...and scary... :thumbs2:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

speedsix wrote:...the parallels are funny...and scary... :thumbs2:
...and too true...

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bayouhazard »

I would donate to spay and neuter them.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

bayouhazard wrote:I would donate to spay and neuter them.
Which? The dogs or kids?;-)

koconcept
Posts in topic: 4

Post by koconcept »

if you go into the irving mall you would swear there was a need for leash laws for children. I have a 4 year old but she has to hold either me or my wifes hand at all times when in any store. Rediculous.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

koconcept wrote:if you go into the irving mall you would swear there was a need for leash laws for children. I have a 4 year old but she has to hold either me or my wifes hand at all times when in any store. Rediculous.
Back in the days of manners, gentility, responsibility and accountability, kids did have leashes and their mothers didn't have tattoos. That would have been circa WW II and perhaps as much as 10 years thereafter. Then came Elvis, The Beatles and Viet Nam, etc., etc...{*SIGH*}

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...don't give up on the whole generation...I know a few who'll do to stand with...three of them have my name...and I'm a very thankful Papa!!! How they turned out so fine in this world today...I give God all the credit...I'm still trying to live up to the privilege of being their Dad...

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mamabearCali »

Oldgringo wrote:
koconcept wrote:if you go into the irving mall you would swear there was a need for leash laws for children. I have a 4 year old but she has to hold either me or my wifes hand at all times when in any store. Rediculous.
Back in the days of manners, gentility, responsibility and accountability, kids did have leashes and their mothers didn't have tattoos. That would have been circa WW II and perhaps as much as 10 years thereafter. Then came Elvis, The Beatles and Viet Nam, etc., etc...{*SIGH*}
Well I don't have a tat, and my kids don't have leashes. But they are trained to stay with me (children on the whole at least past age 4 being more intelligent than dogs--they usually do) and if you interact with one of them it will be because they think you look like a nice person sitting in the play area and they want to show you their cool cowboy belt/hat/boots!
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...nowadays, if there's someone sitting in the play area who looks like a nice person...beware!!!

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

I've shared my story before of my encounter with an aggressive dog. As a result of that, I've adopted a policy at my farm that any dog on my side of the fence is a danger, and is dispatched as such. I've got a neighbor who has a bulldog that tries to come over, but a shot in his direction sends him off, and keep me from having to untangle him and my three dogs. I've seen my Australian in a fight before, and she does not know the meaning of fighting nice. I don't ever want to go through that again...

Further, at our deer lease, the rules are simple. Any dog/pet outside of the camp area is to be shot. Now, we're in an area known for men having large groups of coon dogs running all over, and we catch them on game cams regularly. Our landowner has made said dog owners aware that we're treating these dogs like coyotes if they come over.

I'm not necessarily advocating that everyone shoot their neighbor's dog instantly if you see it come over, but remember the OP's story, and think if you lost a finger (or worse) having to get involved like these guys.

Bottom line: dogs are at their core....ANIMALS. They don't reason. One minute their waggin' their tails, the next they're full on.
Chuckybrown

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mamabearCali »

speedsix wrote:...nowadays, if there's someone sitting in the play area who looks like a nice person...beware!!!
That is true--if my son comes up to talk to you...expect that I will be there in short order to talk with you as well :cool: (and to shoo him off when he starts to be redundant and annoying).
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Return to “Never Again!!”