CHL License at Airport

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kjolly
Posts in topic: 2

CHL License at Airport

Post by kjolly »

Well, I went and did it. Was flying to a convention in Vegas last week and when I had to show my driver's license at TSA security point accidently pulled out the CHL. I wish these did not look the same as DL. Without glasses I cannot tell them apart. Guard at gate smiled told me he needed a DL which very embrassed I showed, while telling him I was not carrying and he let me through. It did look like I was getting some extra scurtiny.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL License at Airport

Post by RoyGBiv »

You were not the first, nor will you be the last.
I hope you enjoyed your trip.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Could be worse.....

I heard a speaker at Church last night giving his recovery testimony, and he was talking about how his life had apparently bottomed out, lost his family, had to move into a cheap hotel in a bad part of town, etc., etc., and the though that it just couldn't get any worse. He said that he would carry his pistol between his truck and his hotel room because of the neighborhood the hotel was in. One morning, he had to fly out on business, and without thinking about it, he put his .45 in his briefcase before walking out to his truck. He drove to the airport, and went through TSA security.

Bad move.

They did arrest him and charge him with a felony. After he was finished speaking, I asked him what became of the charges. He said that he went before the Grand Jury and pleaded, "I'm a moron. It was strictly an accident and I had completely forgotten that the gun was in my briefcase. Am I a idiot? Yes I am. A Terrorist? No, I'm not. Just your garden variety moron." They no-billed him, but he never did get the gun back.

You hear about these things occasionally, but he's the first person I ever talked to that it actually happened to.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Man--that is terrible (on the .45 in a suitcase). It is the type of thing where if you let your concentration lapse for one second here you can be in serious trouble. I am glad nothing else happened with the CHL vs DL. Looks like there might be a few TSA officials out there that have not gone totally insane.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

kjolly wrote:Well, I went and did it. Was flying to a convention in Vegas last week and when I had to show my driver's license at TSA security point accidently pulled out the CHL. I wish these did not look the same as DL. Without glasses I cannot tell them apart. Guard at gate smiled told me he needed a DL which very embrassed I showed, while telling him I was not carrying and he let me through. It did look like I was getting some extra scurtiny.
Don't those TSA goons realize that CHL's are on their side?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

So, here's my question. Isn't it still a valid Government issued form of ID? They should still be able to use it to validate you are who you say you are. It's issued by the same issuing agency that gives us our drivers license. From the TSA's site:

We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint (children are not required to show identification). The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

rp_photo wrote:
kjolly wrote:Well, I went and did it. Was flying to a convention in Vegas last week and when I had to show my driver's license at TSA security point accidently pulled out the CHL. I wish these did not look the same as DL. Without glasses I cannot tell them apart. Guard at gate smiled told me he needed a DL which very embrassed I showed, while telling him I was not carrying and he let me through. It did look like I was getting some extra scurtiny.
Don't those TSA goons realize that CHL's are on their side?

...I'm not...not even remotely...I'm on the side of constitutional, responsible, professional protection of the travelling public, while causing them only the inconvenience and delay reasonably necessary...and that's not the TSA...

Topic author
kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I used to be a world traveler however in the last few years only make one trip a year to teach a class in Vegas. After going through the body scanner and getting my stuff off of the conveyer a TSA employee came up to me and told me I could not leave the area yet that he had to check my hair for a weapon. The hair is very short. Thankfully I cut the pony tail a year ago. He stared at me for almost a minute before letting me leave. Don't know if this is normal?

Also did not expect they would make me remove belt. I was wearing some very large pants as I have been loosing a lot of weight. Told them it would not be a pretty sight if my pants fell. Had to beat a hasty retreat to a bathroom to make repairs.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

speedsix wrote:
...I'm not...not even remotely...I'm on the side of constitutional, responsible, professional protection of the travelling public, while causing them only the inconvenience and delay reasonably necessary...and that's not the TSA...
:iagree: :iagree: :txflag: :patriot:
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I recently switched banks from Wells-Fargo due to their picture ID policy.

I didn't have a problem with the drivers license, but the clerk balked at the CHL license. I told her the only other ID I had was my library card, and if that was not enough, start packing my money from three accounts into a bag.

She took it, but I had the same problem a few days later. Bye-Bye
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...all it takes for evil (including unreasonable, unfair, or stupid policies and rules) to succeed is for good men(and women) to do nothing...we have to be willing to stand up for what's right...and against what's not...or "they" will run over us...

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

pcgizzmo wrote:So, here's my question. Isn't it still a valid Government issued form of ID? They should still be able to use it to validate you are who you say you are. It's issued by the same issuing agency that gives us our drivers license. From the TSA's site:
Thats how I feel, I did the same thing not to long ago, handed the wrong ID over when asked for it., if you have never compared them. the CHL highlights your experation date and the DL highlights your birthdate, so if they are trying to check your age and have trained their eyes to look for the colored text it always throws them off. in my situation I got a wise crack remark about how it wasnt valid ID to which I just responded "does it say license at the top :tiphat: "

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...even DPS doesn't count the CHL as either primary or secondary ID, but as simply a "supporting" document...and they know what it takes to get one here...doesn't make sense... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlice ... ements.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...what I hate about the banks is one branch will accept one form of ID...several times...then one day they want TWO...or one branch one way and another branch the other...they're arbitrary...
...maybe Texas won't make the CHL primary ID because it's not issued at the counter where they can verify who's getting it, it's done by mail...but the fingerprints and pictures should satisfy that...it's frustrating... :headscratch :grumble

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

If Senate Bill 14 (Voter ID Bill) by Sen. Troy Fraser, R-Horseshoe Bay , takes effect, it requires voters to show a valid government-issued photo ID — such as a Texas driver's license, Department of Public Safety identification card, state concealed handgun license, U.S. military ID or U.S. passport — to vote in elections.

I believe this indicates that the State of Texas recogenizes a CHL as a valid ID.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...if the Feds keep their noses out of it, that'll be Jan 1...though we're not guaranteed that the banks and others will have to start accepting it...just that the polls will...we'll watch that State ID list and see...that bill has only to do with elections...

Return to “Never Again!!”