Lapse in Awareness

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Lapse in Awareness

Post by Oldgringo »

ELB wrote:So number 24, as written, says to use only very small caliber guns... :nono:
...or a 105mm howitzer? :smilelol5:

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

...sure would make for a shorter fight!!!

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JP171 »

Oldgringo wrote:
ELB wrote:So number 24, as written, says to use only very small caliber guns... :nono:
...or a 105mm howitzer? :smilelol5:

yea I just carry a duece in my back pocket everywhere I go. it would be fun, set for quick on soft targets means about the middle of the body, wooohooooooo kersplat.

learn to live in yellow to orange, a year in a combat zone will do it for ya, or realizing that everyday that you wake up looking down at the grass(dirt) is a yellow zone day and many are orange days.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...it's a service to all around us...SOMEBODY'S gotta be payin' attention...

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

My enemy on SA is divided attention. I've always had some level of SA in places like parking lots simply to avoid stepping out in front a vehicle (which often seem to come from nowhere). Since obtaining my CHL, I've made a conscious effort to expand my looking to every human that I can see and to places where a human body could be that I don't see at a particular moment.

It is all too easy, however, to have something else on my mind. This is much like driving along, thinking that I'm paying attention to my driving and suddenly arriving at a point in my drive without any memory of the last few events before I arrived there. I've found that I have too simple of a mind to be trying to remember the list of things that I'm supposed to buy at the store that I'm walking into AND be able to pay attention to all of the bodies around me. Recently, I've been forcing myself to put aside all other thoughts from the minute that I arrive in the parking lot until I'm inside the store and concentrate only on actively looking at everything. I very much like the suggestion of evaluating the clothing of everyone that I see because I think that exercise will help sharpen my concentration.

I read Gavin de Becker's "A Gift of Fear". He essentially says that one should pay attention to one's intuition. I've always done that. But I no longer think that is enough. It is situations like the OP that have convinced me of the need for even more concentration on my surroundings. I cannot rely on my "spidey sense" alone.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I gotta read that...well put... :thumbs2:

howdy

Post by howdy »

You start life with two bags....one FULL of "luck" and the other EMPTY with "experience". Your goal is to fill up the "experience" bag BEFORE you empty the "Luck" bag.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

25. You can’t miss fast enough to win. :fire

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Return to “Never Again!!”