Christmas Eve wake up call

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Christmas Eve wake up call

Post by Maxwell »

Christmas Eve we were at some friends' house for dinner and early presents with our Godsons. About 10:00 at night the doorbell rang and I heard someone ask who it was from the other room, the father looked out the door and said "I don't know." My wife gave me "that look" that asked if I had my gun on me and I had to shake my head as I usually leave it in the vehicle when I'm there so it doesn't get seen by the kids. One is slightly autistic and I don't want the questions that might arise.

Anyway, long story short it was a neighbor with food. From now on though I will be carrying in their house as that incident, as well as the Grapevine, TX family killing and recent home invasions in the area just drove home why I carry.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

speedsix

Re: Christmas Eve wake up call

Post by speedsix »

...THANK YOU for thinking that through and making a great decision...assuring that you and yours won't ever be shot like fish in a barrel as those poor folks in Grapevine were...you've given us all a reminder today... :thumbs2:

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dragonfighter »

My in-laws take it for granted that there is one or more when we visit. Glad it was a wake up call that fed you.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Topic author
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

That was the final nudge for me. The parents know I carry and I usually carry everywhere we go that I legally can. My only fear was wnat I'd have to explain to the kids, but I'd rather explain my carrying than why I wasn't if something happened.

:txflag:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...that last phrase nails it!!!

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

my family/friends asked over the christmas weekend if i carry at parties???? i tell them, I "CAN'T" = carry always 'ner tell.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

In-laws know I carry. My wife has a dad, and a step-dad. Both of them are interested in getting CHLs now...so I have some work to do!

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Most of the extended family are aware that I carry and support it. A step daughter was in state for the holidays and when she found out seemed taken aback. My wife reassured her that I was not going to pull the gun out and shoot anyone. The step daughter calmed down when her roommate seemed to approve of carrying.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

In laws know about it and don't question it. My own parents are up in Kansas and I OC at their place. My mom questioned it at first, but hasn't the last few times there. On our trip up there last week my dad only asked if I was happy with my switch from .40 to .45. He also thinks it is really cool that I'm helping my daughter learn to shoot and that she's doing so well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jpfrog

Post by jpfrog »

My in-laws have no clue and they live in a really nice neighborhood so I made the same "leave it in the truck" call. Now, I may go buy a new pocket option after the Grapevine story and after this post. My parent's know I usually carry, and my mom typically doesn't understand it. My step dad, however, gave me an Ed Brown Tactical Ambi-Safety for my 1911 build project as a Christmas present, so I'm thinking he may be cool with it.... :cool:
-JPFROG

Return to “Never Again!!”