So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cav_scout
Posts in topic: 2

Bad Situation at the Vets Office

Post by cav_scout »

Hello all,

I am writing from Georgia, where I am on TDY (I will be moving back to TX in May). Georgia and Texas recogonize eachother's CHLs, so I carry most of the time here.

My wife and I were taking the dog to the Vet's office last week. It was early in the morning, and she was rushing me out the door. I forgot to bring my Colt.
I had never been to this particular vet before, and my wife neglected to tell me it was in a bad part of town (which, bless her heart, she wasnt really aware of). We are sitting there, and in walks this guy, baggy clothes, a jacket (it was about 70 outside), and sunglasses. He had no pet, and when the receptionist asked him if she could help him, he replied "I dont know." Alarms started going off in my head instantly. He announced he was an ex-con, and was looking for some money so he could go to burger king. Luckily, a uniformed police officer came in at that moment with his K9 working dog. The shady character turned around and left.

I learned my lesson...it doesnt matter what kind of rush you are in. Always grab your wallet, your keys, and your gun!

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bad Situation at the Vets Office

Post by Jumping Frog »

After investing all this energy in carrying daily for years, I will be really irritated with myself should the day come when I need a firearm to defend myself or my family, and that was the day I didn't have it with me.

That thought is what helps keep me motivated to arm myself every time, without fail.

Glad it worked out for you this time. Hopefully, there is never a next time.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jpfrog

Post by jpfrog »

Wow- I haven't had one of those yet. I have had the occasion where I was carrying while out to dinner and the wife got a text from some friends at a bar we were near. She wanted to stop and go inside, but I was carrying so I refused but dropped her off and instead walked down the street to a bookstore (to read up on firearm magazines). When I went back to pick her up and then walk to where our car was park, the wife was irritated at me for embarrassing her by not coming in to say hi. I kept my mouth shut, and let her rant. On the walk we were approached by an "interesting" looking guy looking for money and making a B-line for us...I slid my hand inside my jacket near my hip and politely said I didn't have any. He saw this and kept walking. My wife stopped being irritated.
-JPFROG

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have forgotten to pack a gun with me exactly once (time spent in California on vacation excepted). The one time I forgot, I had the holster on; I just forgot to holster the gun before leaving. It was for a Monday evening worship service, and I had gotten there early for rehearsal. Easy peazy. I phoned my wife. "Honey, I forgot my .45 on my desk. Can you please bring it to me?" She brought it to me, but I still haven't lived that one down. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...it can happen to anyone...I once booked a prisoner, rookie and I left the station, got about a mile away, and I sub-consciously patted for my revolver...and found the key snapped to my thumbsnap...that fit the gunlocker where my revolver STILL was...my rookie thought it was hilarious...on the way back to the station, I showed him my Combat Commander in the shoulder holster and the Model 60 in my boot...that settled him down a bit...

jpfrog

Post by jpfrog »

speedsix wrote:...on the way back to the station, I showed him my Combat Commander in the shoulder holster and the Model 60 in my boot...that settled him down a bit...
"rlol"
-JPFROG

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

speedsix wrote:...it can happen to anyone...I once booked a prisoner, rookie and I left the station, got about a mile away, and I sub-consciously patted for my revolver...and found the key snapped to my thumbsnap...that fit the gunlocker where my revolver STILL was...my rookie thought it was hilarious...on the way back to the station, I showed him my Combat Commander in the shoulder holster and the Model 60 in my boot...that settled him down a bit...
I can see how that would have changed the direction of the conversation some.....
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
cav_scout

Post by cav_scout »

Well, Im sure glad to hear that I am not the only one to forget!

yogihat

Post by yogihat »

I have made my weapon a part of my daily dress. There have been a couple occasions where I was rushed by the wife or kids and left the house unarmed. The guilty feeling of not being able to protect my family if a situation had occurred has hounded me each time. As time goes by, the times when I leave unarmed have become less frequent to almost never. my goal is never and that day will come with practice and habit.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

yogihat wrote:I have made my weapon a part of my daily dress. There have been a couple occasions where I was rushed by the wife or kids and left the house unarmed. The guilty feeling of not being able to protect my family if a situation had occurred has hounded me each time. As time goes by, the times when I leave unarmed have become less frequent to almost never. my goal is never and that day will come with practice and habit.
:iagree: When I applied for my CHL, I had no intention of daily carry. Now, I just don't go out without it. 95% of the time, I carry the 9mm but I got the LCP for just those times when I was rushed and would have left home unarmed. Yes, I got it for the light clothing days when concealment was going to be a problem, too. The LCP in the Desantis pocket holster takes no time to add on the way out the door.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Never Again!!”