Outed at the Grocery Store

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Outed at the Grocery Store

Post by apostate »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Purplehood wrote:LOL. Denial is a fundamental tactic in my book.
I'm getting older and more forgetful, so I keep a key fob to remind me....

At the risk of showing my age...

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I use the Perry Suspenders and like them. when at home I like to wear big soft comfortable shirts untucked so wear the suspenders under the shirt. sure beats having to constantly hitch your pants up.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Okay, I'll bite. The suspenders hold up the britches so, where is the gun and what holds it up?

Inquiring minds want to know.

EDIT:

Is the gun belt worn loose or what?
Last edited by Oldgringo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Suspenders are the best friend Concealed Carry every had.
Personally I dont like Perry's. That does not mean they are not good quality. Get mine at Army Navy. 4 clips & all elastic. That is a preferance.

Now to the original Q. I have never been able to lie either. I know I live in Deep East Texas Piny Woods I that is different than Travis Co or the like. :banghead:
Been busted now twice in 15yrs & fessed up both times. One was a DR & I trained him to shoot. Other was a young lady & she said, "I have one too."
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Oldgringo wrote:Okay, I'll bite. The suspenders hold up the britches so, where is the gun and what holds it up?

Tucker gun belt & either a Raven Concealment System OWB or a Tucker HF1 depending on whether the carry is full size or 4" Champion.

Suspenders are the best aid for a guy built like a coke bottle. Little tummy & no butt at all. w/o suspenders my pants will go WAY too far down & the tighter I cench my belt up the faster they scoot down. :leaving
Gun belt & quality holster are still imperrative. Hold everything close, no rock, sag or creep. Comfortable as well as comforting. (Thanks Clint. :thumbs2: )
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

longtooth wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Okay, I'll bite. The suspenders hold up the britches so, where is the gun and what holds it up?

Tucker gun belt & either a Raven Concealment System OWB or a Tucker HF1 depending on whether the carry is full size or 4" Champion.

Suspenders are the best aid for a guy built like a coke bottle. Little tummy & no butt at all. w/o suspenders my pants will go WAY too far down & the tighter I cench my belt up the faster they scoot down. :leaving
Gun belt & quality holster are still imperrative. Hold everything close, no rock, sag or creep. Comfortable as well as comforting. (Thanks Clint. :thumbs2: )
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

bluejay71

Post by bluejay71 »

I really like the "answer a question with a question" approach, as mentioned above. With a proper line of questioning, you'd get the original questioner to be asking him-/herself why they weren't carrying themself without ever divulging your carry status!
With every report of violent crime I hear anymore, I wonder why the victim wasn't carrying. I can't wait to get into one of these conversations and lead to the question, So it is morally superior to be killed by a criminal than it is to carry according to the law and protect ones self?
CHL since August 2012

Topic author
magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I always wear suspenders over a t-shirt, under my main shirt. Gunbelt is custom leather from R Grizzle as well as the holster. Printing was a problem because the gun was riding slightly higher then normal and further back by about 1/2 to 3/4 inches which caused the butt of the gun to jut out some more. A quick swich back to the old suspenders took care of the problem.

Thank you for all the replies, great advise. For now I'll continue to deny. IF pressed I may use the medical device statement, it after all does deliver a dose of minerals (lead and gold[dots that is]) if needed.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Some time back I was at Home Depot and the young lady cashier started talking about handguns and concealed carry, whether I had any advice and so on. I remained calm and enjoyed the conversation resisting the urge to check myself. We had quite the nice conversation but I was curious why she started it not thinking I was printing. She just cheerfully said that I looked like someone with experience! Oooof!

BTW, as I was walking out I did check myself and I definitely was not printing.

On another occasion, back around the turn of the century I had to make a semi-emergency run to the grocery store. It was cold and I was in a huury so I dropped the Model 36 in my breast pocket of my coat. I was standing in line behind a mom with her 3 year old looking back at me. He points and says, "Gun." I play ignorant and ask, "What?" He says it again while mom and everyone else is oblivious. I feign looking around for what he sees and there it is, a cap gun in a blister pack right next to me. :roll:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

Dragonfighter wrote:Some time back I was at Home Depot and the young lady cashier started talking about handguns and concealed carry, whether I had any advice and so on. I remained calm and enjoyed the conversation resisting the urge to check myself. We had quite the nice conversation but I was curious why she started it not thinking I was printing. She just cheerfully said that I looked like someone with experience! Oooof!

On another occasion, back around the turn of the century I had to make a semi-emergency run to the grocery store. It was cold and I was in a hurry so I dropped the Model 36 in my breast pocket of my coat. I was standing in line behind a mom with her 3 year old looking back at me. He points and says, "Gun." I play ignorant and ask, "What?" He says it again while mom and everyone else is oblivious. I feign looking around for what he sees and there it is, a cap gun in a blister pack right next to me. :roll:
Just remembered years ago walking into a Sears and the cashier yelling out loud enough for everyone to hear "Hey, Me and my husband saw you at the gun show last weekend.... what did you buy?, We bought ...."

Suddenly there was a store full of people looking at her, at me at her at me ... (up in our neck of the woods they were all wanting to see what we bought, not concerned if we were armed, I assume they were all armed though, after all, we were all at Sears, and a Wal-mart was near by ...)

"rlol" :smilelol5:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RPB wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:Some time back I was at Home Depot and the young lady cashier started talking about handguns and concealed carry, whether I had any advice and so on. I remained calm and enjoyed the conversation resisting the urge to check myself. We had quite the nice conversation but I was curious why she started it not thinking I was printing. She just cheerfully said that I looked like someone with experience! Oooof!

On another occasion, back around the turn of the century I had to make a semi-emergency run to the grocery store. It was cold and I was in a hurry so I dropped the Model 36 in my breast pocket of my coat. I was standing in line behind a mom with her 3 year old looking back at me. He points and says, "Gun." I play ignorant and ask, "What?" He says it again while mom and everyone else is oblivious. I feign looking around for what he sees and there it is, a cap gun in a blister pack right next to me. :roll:
Just remembered years ago walking into a Sears and the cashier yelling out loud enough for everyone to hear "Hey, Me and my husband saw you at the gun show last weekend.... what did you buy?, We bought ...."

Suddenly there was a store full of people looking at her, at me at her at me ... (up in our neck of the woods they were all wanting to see what we bought, not concerned if we were armed, I assume they were all armed though, after all, we were all at Sears, and a Wal-mart was near by ...)

"rlol" :smilelol5:
RPB, some of my first long guns were purchased at Sears and other catalog/department stores. Back in those days you could buy guns there, as well as Montgomery Ward, Otasco (hardware store, kinda like Ace), and Western Auto. Many were just re-branded with the company's own brand like Westernfield or J.C Higgins.

Dragonfighter, I would only worry if the kid says to his Mom 'Glock 26'. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

The first rifle I bought by myself, a .22 came from Montgomery Ward
I was 18
While buying the rifle the salesman asked, "Do you want ammo?" I said no, I'll get it later ... I went back and a different sales guy said "We can't sell you .22 ammo, you might use it in a pistol ... you shouldda bought it with the rifle you got earlier.

I had to take an "adult over 21" to get the ammo I shouldda got earlier "with the rifle"

I noticed last week that the Ace hardware store near here has some ammo .. I'll have to compare prices to the True Value hardware (Ace doesn't have as big a selection) Up here in Deer country/hill country/central TX, even muffler shops sell guns/have FFLs :mrgreen: (Down the street from the Sears Catalog Store) Bowles Custom Muffler, Marble Falls, TX/Bowles Guns in Marble Falls .... across the street from .... WalMart ... Took me a while to get used to it after Houston, where "gun stores" said "gun store" in the name ... I'm learning how to find stuff, just gotta ask around ... (Of course for fishing supplies, rods/reels/lurse/tackle...you go to the Highlander Restaurant in Burnet, and get the buffet and shop for fishing stuff).... whodathunkit
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I just sent a text message to all my family and friends asking them to shoot me if they ever see me wearing suspenders. :biggrinjester:

Bear67

Post by Bear67 »

rocks
some of us older gentlemen have a choice of suspenders or mooning the room on occasion. Helps hold a gun belt and gun. If I am not in suspenders, I am in overalls. Yes there was a time in my tender years that I frowned at what I now wear daily.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

God Bless America

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I just sent a text message to all my family and friends asking them to shoot me if they ever see me wearing suspenders. :biggrinjester:
You just have to forget that you ever saw Larry King, and you'll be okay.

After all, dressing for a black-tie event requires suspenders under a waistcoat or cummerbund. There is no such thing as a formal belt. So, hey; even James Bond rocked suspenders. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Never Again!!”