Does Your SO Give Out Too Much Info?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

v-rog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does Your SO Give Out Too Much Info?

Post by v-rog »

I usually do something similar. I'll walk up to my wife and introduce myself to the neighbors. As for the questions that you would ask the neighbors, I'd have to take this one step further and consider the race of the neighbors before asking the questions below. Otherwise, the "friendship" may likely suffer a bit and/or they may not become allies.
knotquiteawake wrote:
dihappy wrote: Tonight she took the dog out for potty and was out longer than usual. I got worried and walked outside to find her talking to the new neighbors. I whistled and she came back a few seconds later. I told her that id prefer her not speaking to the neighbors and telling them anything about us. She said she didnt say anything except her name and the name of our dog.

I told her that id seen a bunch of what i thought were illegal aliens over there and i dont want them knowing anything about us.

She got upset, but i told her she'd done it before.
Wow. Upset husband comes out of house and whistles/hollers at wife/gf to get her self back inside while she's in the middle of introducing herself to the new neighbors... That doesn't look like an abusive relationship or anything from the outside right? Your followup posts clarify it a little bit but, like many of the men here, I would be in hot water if I had done that.

If my wife were out there and i was uncomfortable with the new neighbors I would probably go introduce myself to them as well, steer the conversation away from anything personal and use it as an information gathering opportunity. Asking just general trivia questions like "how long does it take to swim across the Rio Grande?" or "how fast can the average person scale a 16-foot chain link fence?" or "whats the best way to find work without having to fill out any paperwork." Based on their answers you could see if they really were "illegals" or not. :biggrinjester:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Rather than living your life in parnoid fear, maintain a strong defense and enjoy your life.
Being from Texas myself most of us know its rude and possibly dangerous to whistle for someone to heel.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, to each his own. OTH, I live in a nice quiet crime-free neighborhood. Also, my wife is the silent one and I'm the chatty one. But there are things I won't talk about with a total stranger.....my gun collection or my CHL, for instance.

That said, if you whistled at my wife to call her in, she'd kick your butt when she got inside for disrespecting her like that. Whistling to call someone over is for your hunting dogs. You do it to your wife/girlfriend, and you get what you deserve........

........just my 2¢. Your mileage may vary.
TAM's right as usual. You should have got in your vehicle and honked the horn...a lot. "rlol" :smilelol5: "rlol"

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

Oldgringo wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, to each his own. OTH, I live in a nice quiet crime-free neighborhood. Also, my wife is the silent one and I'm the chatty one. But there are things I won't talk about with a total stranger.....my gun collection or my CHL, for instance.

That said, if you whistled at my wife to call her in, she'd kick your butt when she got inside for disrespecting her like that. Whistling to call someone over is for your hunting dogs. You do it to your wife/girlfriend, and you get what you deserve........

TAM's right as usual. You should have got in your vehicle and honked the horn...a lot. "rlol" :smilelol5: "rlol"
"rlol" My grandpa used to do that to my grandma...a lot. My grandpa died 20 years ago. Grandma's still going strong. Hmmmmm.......

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

I have no problem talking to people, especially new neighbors, I want to know about them. If your wife(girl friend) likes to talk, try to explain that having a casual conversation and giving out to much info are two different things. There is no reason not to talk to friendly people, you can do it without giving out important info(known as small talk).

I've been married to my bride for 36 years-probably because I don't whistle for her to come, she's my wife not my dog. If you called her name and she didn't hear you--walk over!!!! A relationship is a two way street.

Just an old guy's opinion and worth exactly what you pay for it--nothing
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

strider67

Post by strider67 »

I currently have a call into my lawyer to make sure all of my affairs are in order...just in case I forget and actually whistle at my wife to "heel"! :lol:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

FWIW, none of my wifes ever responded real well to, "hey you!" either. YMMV.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

strider67 wrote:I currently have a call into my lawyer to make sure all of my affairs are in order...just in case I forget and actually whistle at my wife to "heel"! :lol:
I was thinking more like funeral prearrangements would be in order; she will worry about the lawyer and insurance settlement afterward. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dihappy »

knotquiteawake wrote:
dihappy wrote: Tonight she took the dog out for potty and was out longer than usual. I got worried and walked outside to find her talking to the new neighbors. I whistled and she came back a few seconds later. I told her that id prefer her not speaking to the neighbors and telling them anything about us. She said she didnt say anything except her name and the name of our dog.

I told her that id seen a bunch of what i thought were illegal aliens over there and i dont want them knowing anything about us.

Wow. Upset husband comes out of house and whistles/hollers at wife/gf to get her self back inside while she's in the middle of introducing herself to the new neighbors... That doesn't look like an abusive relationship or anything from the outside right? Your followup posts clarify it a little bit but, like many of the men here, I would be in hot water if I had done that.

If my wife were out there and i was uncomfortable with the new neighbors I would probably go introduce myself to them as well, steer the conversation away from anything personal and use it as an information gathering opportunity. Asking just general trivia questions like "how long does it take to swim across the Rio Grande?" or "how fast can the average person scale a 16-foot chain link fence?" or "whats the best way to find work without having to fill out any paperwork." Based on their answers you could see if they really were "illegals" or not. :biggrinjester:
I dont need to, nor care to ask them directly if they are here illegally. I have lived next door to the landlords, before they started renting to rif-raff and always had problems with them and their inconsiderate ways.

My Grand Parents and now my Father have lived next door to the numerous "renters" for years also, each lot is the same. 4 or 5 cars piled up on the lawn and in front of our house, drinking all day and night, loud music, trash, dogs everywhere, police, and the smell of sewage.

Forgive me for making assumptions, but i dont care if i hurt thier feelings by not going over to intruduce myself, and yelling for my girlfriend while shes over talking to them on the front porch at 12am is exactly what i felt needed to be done to get her away from them.

Im not a rude guy, but i do know when/where to draw the line. These new nieghbors have already started piling up cars, loud music, and trash just like the last 10 or so tenants.

I dont mean to offend anyone here, i love you all.

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dihappy »

papajohn1964 wrote:I'd be m ing to a new neighborhood...... ALONE If I whistled for my wife to get her attention.
John, i would love to.
I moved down with my girlfriend because my dad was diagnosed with cancer.

I only live with him to care for him until he , God willing, gets better.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

dihappy wrote:

...shes over talking to them on the front porch at 12am...
Hmmm, upon further review....

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

dihappy wrote:This is a sore spot between my girlfriend and i. The first time i caught her giving out too much personal info to some tech support person on the phone. Where she worked and what she did, etc. I got snappy with her and she got upset and couldnt understand why i would get upset.

Tonight she took the dog out for potty and was out longer than usual. I got worried and walked outside to find her talking to the new neighbors. I whistled and she came back a few seconds later. I told her that id prefer her not speaking to the neighbors and telling them anything about us. She said she didnt say anything except her name and the name of our dog.

Anyone elses spouse/GF/BF/SO give out too much info?
If you would drag her around by her hair like a caveman, you wouldn't have to ever whistle for her.

Anyhow, sounds like you have been sufficiently made fun of for whistling at/for/towards your significant other. My girlfriend, who lives with me have a loose set of ground rules that we talked about when she moved in. Not to go all Dr. Phil on you, but it is much easier to discuss these things and come to an agreement in advance before problems occur.

Our basics:

Although we live in a great established neighborhood, we don't open the door for anyone that we don't know. We do let me know we are home by saying "not interested" or " I can't open the door, my dog is very aggressive towards strangers."

We want to know all our neighbors well enough to waive hi, say Merry Christmas, etc. but not so well that they are in our business. We are polite, always exchange hellos, but never do the "meet at the fence and have a long conversation" thing. We both agree that this can help avoid future problems.

We don't have a home phone (we are of the age group that doesn't these days) and we don't answer our mobile phones unless the number has been stored in it. If we have to call in for service for Direct TV, Internet, etc. we are friendly, but not give any more information than is required to complete the transaction.

And finally.....this...
kjolly wrote:Rather than living your life in parnoid fear, maintain a strong defense and enjoy your life.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Afff_667

Post by Afff_667 »

MasterOfNone wrote:
dihappy wrote:I whistled and she came back a few seconds later.
I want to know how this worked.
Out for dinner on New Year's Eve, my wife asked me for a bite of my desert. I told her that she had to sit first...she didn't think it was too funny, but the couple at the table next to us thought it was hilarious.

I've had the "you give away too much info" talk several times with my wife. I caught her once telling a friend of hers (complete stranger to me) that I had a CHL. Then, there was the time she mentioned the EBRs...
"There's no moral order. There is only this: can my violence conquer your violence?"

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I agree with TAM. And even though I know better, I'm more likely to divulge private information than my wife is because sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

I'm getting an intercom and Airsoft gun on a turret for my front door. Should be enough that I never need to leave my room :biggrinjester:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “Never Again!!”