SAPD: Homeowner guns down suspected burglar

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

SAPD: Homeowner guns down suspected burglar

Post by pbwalker »

Investigators say he grabbed his shotgun just as two men with an assault rifle entered his home. Police at the scene say there was a gunfight in the kitchen of the home. The homeowner suffered a gunshot wound to the face, but police say he was able to fire several shots at the suspects.

One of the suspects was pronounced dead on the scene. The second suspect ran out of the home to a waiting car. He was driven to North East Baptist Hospital by his girlfriend and then taken by AirLife to San Antonio Military Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the chest. His girlfriend was taken into custody.
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/SA ... SUZmQ.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last I heard, the homeowner was in stable condition with a GSW to the chin.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

thedeceiver
Posts in topic: 3

Re: SAPD: Homeowner guns down suspected burglar

Post by thedeceiver »

Wonder what the homeowner was up to.... Common criminals don't generally break into homes with assault rifles.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Assault rifle is a poor term, but commonly used by the media. I will be willing to bet it was an SKS or possibly an AK which are pretty commonly used among thugs. No reason to suspect he homeowner of anything IMO.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

alphonso

Post by alphonso »

thedeceiver wrote:Wonder what the homeowner was up to.... Common criminals don't generally break into homes with assault rifles.
I find the post above kind of frightening.

If, God forbid, someone broke into my house in the middle of the night and I had to shoot them the last thing I would need would be an arm-chair stranger who knows not a single thing about me or the details of the incident to "assume" that I was some sort of bad guy who had it coming.

Wow!

speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Post by speedsix »

...even a drug dealer's got the right to protect his castle...

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

From the article wrote:Investigators say he grabbed his shotgun just as two men with an AR-15 assault rifle entered his home.
Aren't those generally a bit more expensive than an AK or an SKS? How much do y'all wanna bet it's a stolen gun?

I also don't see a reason to accuse the homeowner of anything besides being a victim just yet. I'm sure if it was gang-related or something they'll report it eventually.

Edited to add: So far every comment on the article is in favor of the homeowner's actions. :cheers2:
Last edited by Fangs on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

alphonso wrote:
thedeceiver wrote:Wonder what the homeowner was up to.... Common criminals don't generally break into homes with assault rifles.

If, God forbid, someone broke into my house in the middle of the night and I had to shoot them the last thing I would need would be an arm-chair stranger who knows not a single thing about me or the details of the incident to "assume" that I was some sort of bad guy who had it coming.

Wow!
I kind of share your sentiment, but to be fair, in most of these scenarios... by a large margin in fact, it's not 'random'.
There was a recent story here in Houston (Katy area) of a father killed by a home invasion with his kids in the house. It sounded horrible and people were understandably pouring out grief and love for this family. Turns out, the dad was involved in drugs and it was a drug deal gone awry.

I agree the benefit of the doubt should be given to the home owner, especially by the police/DA, etc, but as a message board participant this kind of speculation is pretty understandable.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...that's gettin' yer cheek pierced the HARD way...

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Scott in Houston wrote:I kind of share your sentiment, but to be fair, in most of these scenarios... by a large margin in fact, it's not 'random.
That's true. In many if not most home invasions, the invaders picked the house because they knew there was something worth stealing. Sometimes it's drugs. Sometimes it's jewelry or a coin collection or a gun collection.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...a lot of home invasions are aimed at folks who own stores or are self-employed...there's a good chance cash will be there...or aimed at ethnic groups who shun banks/paperwork because they're illegal and don't want a paper trail...just like burglars have long targeted old folks who, because of the Depression crash, don't trust banks...

...all criminals aren't stupid...some even brush their teeth once in awhile...

thedeceiver

Post by thedeceiver »

alphonso wrote:

Wow!
I'm certainly not saying the homeowner had it coming... I'm not really sure anyone "deserves" to be shot, I was simply noting the fact that the use of an AR-15 for a run of the mill home invasion seems like overkill.

You're also assuming the homeowner has done nothing wrong and that he was just a victim of a "random" home invasion. My point was not that his home was invaded, nor that a gun was used, but to bring an assault rifle? Someone was planning on the person being home and being armed. That's hardly random.

I

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...or his mousegun was in the shop...

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

thedeceiver wrote: I'm certainly not saying the homeowner had it coming... I'm not really sure anyone "deserves" to be shot, I was simply noting the fact that the use of an AR-15 for a run of the mill home invasion seems like overkill.

I
I have to disagree. There are people who deserve to be shot. In my book Rapist and Pedophiles usually deserve it.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kabong30
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kabong30 »

Maybe it's just me (and it really could be), but there is a really negative connotation to "guns down". I realize it's semantics, just an observation.

Zoomie72

Post by Zoomie72 »

I am keeping my mouth shut out of respect for those involved, but I would be VERY surprised to find out that the home was targeted for any reason that is the fault of the family.

Return to “Never Again!!”