Don't Be Stupid...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

jbirds1210 wrote:My name is Jason and I am a press check junkie. If it leaves my holster or my immediate possession....I look at the condition of it. Same goes each time it enters the holster.

I get on my own nerves somtimes checking the condition of my weapon so often when I am at the range....it has become obsessive! :grin:
Jason

Well, I didn't know there was a term for it...but I have all the "symptoms".

Jason, when we get a chance to shoot IDPA together, I bet they will separate us in the interest of keeping things moving. I think I'm a junkie too. :smile:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

There is nothing wrong with checking your weapon often I check mine before I put it on in the mornings, when I take it off at night and anytime I might handle it in between just to be safe. A gun that is not in the condition you think it is can be deadly whether it be loaded when it should be unloaded or unloaded when it should be loaded and the only to be sure is by checking it often out of habit.

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike from Texas »

OK, being an admitted newbie to this stuff, what is a "press check" and how do you perform it. I must admit that even though most of the time I won't be carrying my Springfiled XD45, I LOVE the striker indicator on the back and the loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide. I open carry while at the deer lease all the time and find myself running my thumb and finger over these every time I go out.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Mike from Texas wrote:OK, being an admitted newbie to this stuff, what is a "press check" and how do you perform it. I must admit that even though most of the time I won't be carrying my Springfiled XD45, I LOVE the striker indicator on the back and the loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide. I open carry while at the deer lease all the time and find myself running my thumb and finger over these every time I go out.
A press check is performed by insuring that the weapon is pointed in a safe direction ( that is one in which if the weapon were to fire, it would do minimal property damage and NO injury to any person) and keeping your finger indexed outside of the trigger guard, you press the slide back slightly to observe the round in the chamber.

After releasing the slide, I always tap the back of it to insure it has gone back into battery. (especially important on Glocks).
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

Gotcha, makes sense and thanks. Especially good to know since I'm getting my first Glock soon. I guess I do it sub consciously on my XD because after doing the above mentioned checks, when inserting in into my Galco Fletch holster, it is still pretty tight and tends to push the slide back a little since it still fits the gun very tightly. Last thing I do before snapping the retention strap closed is push on the rear of the slide to make sure it's seated.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

I have a Taurus with a chamber indicator built into it. When a round is in the chamber is pushes out a small metal flag that's painted so you can tell at a glance. It's also right above the finger well.

ANYTIME I pick up the gun my finger searches for that finger well and then i slide my finger up to check if it's got one in the chamber (if that metal flag) is sticking out. Now, honestly, i cant' imagine owning a gun that didnt have that. I don't even have to pull it out of the holster to check.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody's come out with a similar aftermarket ad-on for glocks as popular as they are. Being able to visually look at your weapon and tell if it's chambered or feel it with certainty is a great thing, but in the middle of the night when you have to do a sweep and clear on the house because something woke you up it's simply priceless to be able to FEEL if there's one in the chamber.

Smokewagon

Post by Smokewagon »

I have a PT111, PT145 and a Ruger P345 with the loaded chamber indicators. They really are great. :!:
Texas friendly, spoken here.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

LedJedi wrote:I have a Taurus with a chamber indicator built into it. When a round is in the chamber is pushes out a small metal flag that's painted so you can tell at a glance. It's also right above the finger well.

ANYTIME I pick up the gun my finger searches for that finger well and then i slide my finger up to check if it's got one in the chamber (if that metal flag) is sticking out. Now, honestly, i cant' imagine owning a gun that didnt have that. I don't even have to pull it out of the holster to check.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody's come out with a similar aftermarket ad-on for glocks as popular as they are. Being able to visually look at your weapon and tell if it's chambered or feel it with certainty is a great thing, but in the middle of the night when you have to do a sweep and clear on the house because something woke you up it's simply priceless to be able to FEEL if there's one in the chamber.
They'll have it soon. One of the newest requirements from California for any new gun model is a loaded chamber indicator. If Glock decides to make a new model in the future, they're gonna have to have it if they want to sell in CA. I'm sure once they have to do it, they'll probably standardize across the line.

I believe a magazine disconnect safety is another one of the new requirements.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

NcongruNt wrote: They'll have it soon. One of the newest requirements from California for any new gun model is a loaded chamber indicator. If Glock decides to make a new model in the future, they're gonna have to have it if they want to sell in CA. I'm sure once they have to do it, they'll probably standardize across the line.

I believe a magazine disconnect safety is another one of the new requirements.
I find it a big turn off if a gun is California approved. It rubs me the wrong way that guns be made to the approval of California politions. Maybe I'm not so smart. I am carrying bigger guns than what many might find comfortable because I won't buy a gun with less than 11 round factory mags.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

LedJedi wrote:I'm honestly surprised that nobody's come out with a similar aftermarket ad-on for glocks as popular as they are. snip

in the middle of the night when you have to do a sweep and clear on the house because something woke you up it's simply priceless to be able to FEEL if there's one in the chamber.
Trusting that LCI is kinda like waiting for the oil light to come on. It only takes a second to actually see or touch the chambered round to prevent big problems.

A press check can be performed in the dark. I will be glad to show you how when we shoot together....it is a very valuable skill. Hard to be more confident than when you feel the brass! Remember, you might not end up fighting with your own weapon. :grin:

This all coming from a certified press check junkie.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

jbirds1210 wrote: you might not end up fighting with your own weapon.
ok, you have a point there.

Return to “Never Again!!”