So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MrDrummy
Posts in topic: 3

Don't Be Stupid...

Post by MrDrummy »

Ugh.

Yesterday I decided to do some dry drawing/fire drills using my Kimber Ultra Carry, and my new holster. I removed the magazine, carefully unloaded the pistol, then unloaded the magazine round by round, then reinserted the empty magazine into the well. The gun was completely empty, and I double-triple-quadruple checked it. I even went and put the rounds in a different room, just to be sure. This is a routine I do every time that I'm going to do any dry firing.

After I got done, I put all 7 rounds back into the magazine, put the magazine into the gun, and went on my way. Cocked, locked and everything, right?

This morning (ok, ok, it was this afternoon...us musician-types :roll: ) I woke up, and decided to do some more dry fire drills. So I, once again, removed the magazine, carefully unloaded the... wait? Where's the round that usually pops out of the chamber? Oh, there it is, in the magazine!! I never racked the slide after reinserting the magazine yesterday!!! :oops:

Basically I was walking around with a shiny, expensive rock/club all of yesterday evening.

ALWAYS BE AWARE OF THE CONDITION OF YOUR PISTOL!! Press check, or somehow visually inspect the chamber from time to time, just to make sure you're ready for action, if it ever came down to it!

phddan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by phddan »

Comes with experience and a boat load of practice.
Chalk that one up to experience.

Every time you pick up your weapon, CHECK IT!!!

Dan

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

Like I always say "If I were perfect I'd do something else for a living"
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

phddan wrote:Comes with experience and a boat load of practice.
Chalk that one up to experience.

Every time you pick up your weapon, CHECK IT!!!

Dan
:iagree:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
MrDrummy

Post by MrDrummy »

Luckily it was something that I didn't have to learn the "hard way" about.

TX Rancher

Re: Don't Be Stupid...

Post by TX Rancher »

MrDrummy wrote:Ugh.

Basically I was walking around with a shiny, expensive rock/club all of yesterday evening.
Been there, done that…and I bet most folks that have carried for awhile have a story about the time they went less then well heeled. The trick is to have only one story…

But as for your comment quoted above, I respectfully disagree (key word respectfully! :grin: ). I suspect you practice failure to fire drills, and a “tap and rack� would have cleared the problem. Not desirable, and the delay could prove deadly, but still better then a rock.

If you don’t practice failure to fire drills, there’s no time like the present to start!

For dry firing I have practice inert rounds that simulate the weight of my ammo. For my 45’s I carry 230 grain rounds, and that adds considerable weight to my weapon. I find I get better practice if the weapon weighs the same as when I carry for defense. With the weapon empty, I use a different level of force to get the sights on target then when it’s loaded.

rbraughn

Post by rbraughn »

Been there done that!!!

At least you didnt wake up at 3AM, drive 45 Minutes through the woods dropping off hunters along the way, finally getting into your Hide, only to realise you forgot your AMMO at the camp. I couldn't go back or I'd disturb the other hunters, so I just took a nap LOL :oops:
Be insensitive....Tell the truth !!

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

In the event of a defensive need I bet that would have been the loudest "CLICK" you ever heard. Live and learn. I try to remember to press check every time mine goes on, but I'm still not 100%.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

TX Rancher wrote:If you don't practice failure to fire drills, there's no time like the present to start!

For dry firing I have practice inert rounds...
:iagree: I have, in the past, gone into gun stores asking for snap caps and have gotten a "snap caps are for kids" look. But in my humble opinion I believe they're indispensable for autoloader shooters of all levels. They may or may not provide any significant firing pin protection, but:

1. From a safety standpoint, racking a colored plastic inert round in to the chamber before dry-firing is just one more precautionary step. You can't have a live round in the chamber if there's a plastic one in there.

2. Snap caps are one of the best ways to practice failure-to-fire drills. That's easiest if you shoot with a buddy. Have him or her load a magazine and insert a snap cap in at random somewhere between round two and the next-to-last one. Have them seat the magazine if you have "windows" in yours that would show where the inert round is. Best if you can do rapid fire at your range because you can then put a timer on yourself, say six rounds in five seconds...with the inert round in there somewhere that will require a tap-and-rack to clear. Even alone at a slow-fire range, you can still make this a beneficial practice technique...just fill several mags with the inert round inserted in different places, shuffle 'em, and don't look when you select one and load it.

3. Also IMHO, it's almost impossible to dry-practice mag reloads without using snap caps. First, I never let my slide close full-force on an empty chamber; but that's just me...so that means I can't actually rack the slide or practice slide-lock reloads without snap caps. But even if you're willing to let your slide ram home without a cartridge, unless you have a capacious mag well--which most carry guns won't--practicing fast reloads without inert rounds in the magazine isn't realistic because the mag has a completely different profile with a round in it: no edges that can catch on the well. And if you're really trying to go fast, you risk jamming those empty-mag edges on your gun and possibly damaging the magazine. This is more a factor for single-stack pistols, and I even use mags I never shoot (my production Kimber mags) for practice. With snaps caps in 'em, they have exactly the same profile as the Wilson Combat's I use for real.

4. Ever practice one-handed tap-and-rack? I remember a Mas Ayoob article I read. It began with the description of a home burglary. The home owner heard the noise in his house and grabbed his pistol. The BG rounded a corner into a hallway the HO was clearing and both aimed and fired. The BG was hit, dropped his gun, but didn't fall. He wasn't neutralized and started toward his gun. The HO fires again. Click! He goes to tap-and-rack...and realizes his off-hand ain't moving. He was hit. There was an immediate threat, his gun had failed to fire, and he had only one arm to work with. A nightmare scenario, but if you practice one-handed tap-and-rack, not much slower to accomplish than with two good hands. Several ways to do it, but without practice the odds of success in a real situation are virtually non-existent. Since none of the one-handed techniques can be accomplished with the muzzle pointed downrange near the target, you sure don't want to practice these with live rounds. ;-)

5. There are more reasons to spring the few bucks for some snap caps, but this reply is already so long nobody will read it. :grin:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
MrDrummy

Post by MrDrummy »

Skiprr wrote: ....but this reply is already so long nobody will read it. :grin:
On the contrary, I read every bit of it. I'm not one who dislikes long responses. :grin:

I DO need to go buy some snap caps. I have one that was given to me that I use for tap/rack drills when I'm out shooting, but definitely could use a few more so that I can simulate more situations.

On another note-- I've left the house into the icy streets of Lubbock a couple of times today, and reminded myself to check the chamber every time. I'm 100% today, at least! :smile:

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

I guess you can always yell - STOP or I will dryfire you again!!

My most recent stupid thing happened while I was about to check out of a hotel. I had walked the room 3 or 4 times making sure I had not left anything. As I was walking out the door for the last time my briefcase just felt a little funny. I looked back and there next to the phone was my Sig 220, right where I put it the night before. I'll never understand how I could overlook a 220 sitting on top of a table.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Skiprr.

excellent post!
I use snapcaps at home. And Cyphur can tell you, we have employed them at the range as well! They are great for showing "flinching" when shooting. Cyphur got pats on the back for not moving when shooting on a snapcap, which was a vast improvement from his first go-round with them! :smile:

Best thing is, let yer buddy load your mags and then your weapon, and then practice. Great way to learn FTF drills.

Also, at home I will load the whole mag with the snapcaps (I prefer the Zoom caps, as they LOOK like real ammo, just wrong color.)
Then sit and dryfire and practice tap-rack to get to the next "round" until the mag is empty.

~Bill

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

I agree, I have some dry-fire 9mm rounds that I practice with.
I have, however, heard several times people refer to dry-firing, and I have a bit of a question.
I've always heard that dry firing is very bad for the firing pin. now, that still holds true, right? I know that my Smith Sigma takes no damage from dry firing, as that's how you get the slide to come off (per the instruction manual). BUT, that theory of damage still holds true for my Beretta 92, and my Taurus revolver, right? and my follow up Q is, how much dry firing can one do without damage taking it's toll? what's the worst case scenario?
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Your Beretta has a two part fireing pin, I would recomend snap-cap's to dry fire it.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

My name is Jason and I am a press check junkie. If it leaves my holster or my immediate possession....I look at the condition of it. Same goes each time it enters the holster.

I get on my own nerves somtimes checking the condition of my weapon so often when I am at the range....it has become obsessive! :grin:
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “Never Again!!”