I THOUGHT I was carefull

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
too-tall
Posts in topic: 2

I THOUGHT I was carefull

Post by too-tall »

Last week-end I went to the range to try out the new Chip McCorrmick mags I had gotten for Christmas.First mag fed fine. The next mag refused to take the first round . The second mag did the same thing. I tried the first mag again and it fed the first round, but the report was real weak and it did not eject the case. I know some of you already know what happend......Yes after cussing the mags and ammo, I realised I was trying to fire 40cal in my Springfield 1911 45.They were the same brand(Federal Red box). When the one round fired weak and would not eject, I pushed it out and it was swelled up like a pregnant chicken. A 40cal, swelled out to hold a 230 gr. 45 cal chunk of lead.( Might be the new "wonder round" of 2007...lol Any way, I have always been carefull, but stuff can happen to anyone. Thank God it was just embarrassing and no injuries or damage. Oh and by the way, it did feed the first round from the mags. They just slid out the end of the barrel when I lowerdit to release the slide. I found the two rounds at my feet later.
Too-Tall
" Behind every silver lining,
there is a cloud..." NRA Life Member

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

Sometimes we get a chuckle. Good thing this time it was just that. Those who are careful ususally catch the REAL PROBLEMS before the results raise their ugly heads.
:oops:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Sounds like you fire-formed a "reverse bottleneck" case, too-tall!

New for 2007! The coke glass cartridge!

:grin:

pastor1

Post by pastor1 »

I had the same thing happen to me some years back. It scared the heck our of me. :shock: Since then, I never fire my 45's and 40's during the same shooting session.
Isaiah 40:31

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ahhh, yes...We can start calling it the "40-45 ACP"... ;-)

Got to git me some of those!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Shut up Steve!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Ahhh, yes...We can start calling it the "40-45 ACP"... ;-)

Got to git me some of those!!!
or...
would that be the ".45-.40"?

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Topic author
too-tall

Post by too-tall »

Well whatever we call it, It was sort of quiet, not much recoil at all. Now we gotta get that extraction thing worked out. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............
Too-Tall :shock:
" Behind every silver lining,
there is a cloud..." NRA Life Member

fratermus

Re: I THOUGHT I was carefull

Post by fratermus »

too-tall wrote:...I realised I was trying to fire 40cal in my Springfield 1911 45.They were the same brand(Federal Red box).
Thanks for sharing this. I tend to be absentminded at times and a good reminder like this keeps me in line.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

At my last range trip I loaded my XD-9 and racked the slide, got my site picture and squeezed the trigger.

BLAM... and a FTE... the first ever for my XD's!

I pulled the slide back and locked it, jiggled the case out and let the slide close...

BLAM... and ANOTHER FTE... the second ever for my XD's!!!

"What is going on?" I thought to myself.

Then I realized that I'd put 380 in my 9mm mag.

It would feed and fire but not eject... go figure.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

mrbug

Post by mrbug »

Good to know I am not the only bonehead running around. I popped a 9mm out of my XD40. First indication of something wrong was a funny popping sound and no recoil.
How we conduct ourselves defines us. At the end of the day we answer to ourselves. At the end of our days we answer to God.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

mrbug wrote:Good to know I am not the only bonehead running around. I popped a 9mm out of my XD40. First indication of something wrong was a funny popping sound and no recoil.
Wayyyyy ahead of you...

Sometimes I picture that little flag coming out of the barrel with "BANG" stenciled on it at the absolute worse time...

That might fall into the whole "dream" discussion TXI started recently...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

oilman

Post by oilman »

Ok so I will add one here.

Took my Para LTC (45ACP) and my wife's Kimber Tac Pro II (9mm) to the range (both 1911 style pistols). Loaded up the 9mm mags put the mag in the gun and racked the slide and the entire 9mm round comes out of the barrel!

Seems I had put the 9mm mag not in the Kimber but in the Para! :oops:

Problem was I was distracted watching my wife as she does not go to the range very often and I pulled the Para instead of the Kimber out of the range bag!

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

oilman wrote:Loaded up the 9mm mags put the mag in the gun and racked the slide and the entire 9mm round comes out of the barrel!
My brother did that once. Something fell off the end of the gun so he leaned over the bench rest and saw an unfired 9mm bullet laying amongst all the empty brass. Then he cycled the slide and again something fell off the end of the gun. He leaned over and saw 2 unfired 9mm bullets on the ground. Hmmm! Popped the mag out and found the problem.

:lol: Oh, my gut hurt from laughing at that one!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

oilman wrote:Ok so I will add one here.

Took my Para LTC (45ACP) and my wife's Kimber Tac Pro II (9mm) to the range (both 1911 style pistols). Loaded up the 9mm mags put the mag in the gun and racked the slide and the entire 9mm round comes out of the barrel!
That would have been TOO funny to see. :lol:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “Never Again!!”