Sir, are you okay?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

F4injected
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sir, are you okay?

Post by F4injected »

grim-bob wrote:For those of you who play Call of Duty I do an equipment check any time I walk out a door just like you see the characters doing while waiting for a round to start.

I pat 3 pockets (both front and 1 back) and in the process hit my carry with my wrist during one of the pats. So pretty much akin to wallet, keys, phone, pistol and only takes a split second. I do it just about any time I leave a building and especially after sitting. Biggest worry is forgetting my phone but I check for them all.

Yep, doing a routine pat down really helps me remember what I forgot before I leave the house.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

rescuetech ,

You are not alone.

Twice, (over the years) I've dashed out the door to later discover no pistol on me. Holster yes, spare magazine yes, but my pistol was safely ensconced in it's comfy resting place at home...

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Yep. Whenever I walk out the door I go through my equipment check:
Keys, Cash, Phone, and Gun.
I pat my two front pockets (keys and phone)
Then I pat my left rear pocket and right hip (cash and gun)

**sigh** I've been doing equipment checks of one sort or another since I entered the gates of Ft Benning at the age of 18. I'll probably be doing it the rest of my life.

No, I won't tell you how long ago 18 was. :cryin
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

Back when I was a cop I put on my gunbelt, drove 50 miles to work, walked in the office and a reserve officer walks up and ask "Where's your gun?" I look down at a empty holster and suddenly remember I left it on the dresser. Had to borrow the Chief's gun for that shift. That's not as bad as a couple other cops I know who left their entire gunbelts at home.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

RPBrown wrote:I have never done that with a weapon but I was talking to my wife on my cell phone as I pulled int the parking lot at the office, got out of the truck, set the alarm and walked into the office, all still talking to her. I get upstairs and reach for my side and do ot feel my phone. I go back to the truck and find that its not there. I start to panic and try to think where I could have left it. About this time my wife notices the change and panic in my voice and asks me what is wrong and I proceed to tell her I have lost my phone and that I will have to call her back so I can look for it. ThenI hear this love of my life laughing uncontrollably.I yell at her that its not funny and she says yes it is, what are you talkng to me on? :oops: Then appologies bein for yelling at her
LOL, but I've been there . . .
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

RPBrown wrote:I have never done that with a weapon but I was talking to my wife on my cell phone as I pulled int the parking lot at the office, got out of the truck, set the alarm and walked into the office, all still talking to her. I get upstairs and reach for my side and do ot feel my phone. I go back to the truck and find that its not there. I start to panic and try to think where I could have left it. About this time my wife notices the change and panic in my voice and asks me what is wrong and I proceed to tell her I have lost my phone and that I will have to call her back so I can look for it. ThenI hear this love of my life laughing uncontrollably.I yell at her that its not funny and she says yes it is, what are you talkng to me on? :oops: Then appologies bein for yelling at her
"rlol" I only laugh cause I can so see me doing this same thing. "rlol" :smilelol5:
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

txjim42

Post by txjim42 »

"rlol" Yep, I can see myself doing this. Hopefully I'll come to my senses before I ask her to call my phone to get it to ring...

The older I get, the more I think I need a pre-flight check-list to run through upon entering the car...
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace.
Thomas Paine

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

I do the equipment/tap-check as well. :thumbs2: messed up today though...keys were in my briefcase, put briefcase in hatch of corvette, closed it and then that "oh my" feeling....yep, locked out, out of toWn too...OnStar saved my bacon....quick call with my cell and it was unlocked in a matter of minutes.

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

PUCKER wrote:I do the equipment/tap-check as well. :thumbs2: messed up today though...keys were in my briefcase, put briefcase in hatch of corvette, closed it and then that "oh my" feeling....yep, locked out, out of toWn too...OnStar saved my bacon....quick call with my cell and it was unlocked in a matter of minutes.
If you have an iPhone or Android there is an OnStar app you can download which will do it quicker without the need for a call, depending on how your car is set up it will also allow you to start it and check fuel levels among other things.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

The Mad Moderate wrote:
PUCKER wrote:I do the equipment/tap-check as well. :thumbs2: messed up today though...keys were in my briefcase, put briefcase in hatch of corvette, closed it and then that "oh my" feeling....yep, locked out, out of toWn too...OnStar saved my bacon....quick call with my cell and it was unlocked in a matter of minutes.
If you have an iPhone or Android there is an OnStar app you can download which will do it quicker without the need for a call, depending on how your car is set up it will also allow you to start it and check fuel levels among other things.
Got it for the wife's Taboe...but for the vette, well, no dice, it's not compatible...and it's a 2012...crazy.

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

I’m reminded of a time that I was over at my parent’s house and noticed a neat typewritten sheet taped to the back door that lead to the garage. On the sheet was a listing of Shirt, Pants, Belt, Shoes, Wallet, Keys …. etc.

I laughed and joked to my Mom about it. I knew she had put it there as a joke for Dad.

A few days later I was back over, with the wife and took her to the back door to show her what she would be doing for me, in a few years. At the top of the neatly typed page in big bold handwritten (with a sharpie) letters was “GLASSES”

Return to “Never Again!!”