Sir, are you okay?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rescuetech
Posts in topic: 3

Sir, are you okay?

Post by rescuetech »

This morning my life flashed before my eyes!!! and when it happened I must have turned white as a ghost because the lady at panda express even asked, Sir are you okay?

I was adjusting my shirt as I approached the counter and something felt strange, As I ran my hand across my holster (owb @ 3 oclock) it was EMPTY !

Instant panic !

I have been to the barber shop, gas station, car wash and now panda express and somewhere along the way I have lost my pistol!!!!!

I'm thinking... well... this is a family site so I can't really tell you what I was thinking but I'm sure you can imagine.

Instantly my morning is running through my mind like an old 8mm home movie. Black and white flashes, snapping one after the other, each a moment in time that day.

Just as the nausea reaches the lump in my throat, I remember, I never opened the safe this morning!!! After getting holstered up, my normal routine was interrupted by my 3 year old dressing herself. She had gotten her shirt stuck on her head and asked for help. I had gotten side tracked getting her ready and never put my gun in the holster.

The head spinning, heart pounding anxiety is starting to subside but I though I was going to lose it for a minute there.

This is just another Situational Awareness lesson learned.

Kadelic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sir, are you okay?

Post by Kadelic »

Perhaps a story that should have stayed in the safe? Lol, I've had similar instances with keys and wallets but never a sidearm. That white hot panic cannot be described. Reckon I ought to go get me a safe for good measure.
Honor Necessity

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

All's well that ends well. Your CC is kinda' like your vehicle seatbelt; you never need either one until you do.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Gotta do it like making a holy cross: "Spectacles, Something that rhymes with Spectacles, Wallet, and Watch." Although my more modern version is "Spectacles, Pistol, Wallet, iPhone." Doesn't rhyme as well, but it helps me remember the things I need throughout the day "rlol"
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Did you remember to unplug the coffee pot and lock the front door? You have moved from cognitive recognition of normal acts to habitual or automatic mode. OR you may be getting old. Maybe the latter since you think in 8mm Black and White. That's funny! "rlol"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
rescuetech

Post by rescuetech »

puma guy wrote:Did you remember to unplug the coffee pot and lock the front door? You have moved from cognitive recognition of normal acts to habitual or automatic mode. OR you may be getting old. Maybe the latter since you think in 8mm Black and White. That's funny! "rlol"
considering I forgot my sidearm, everything always aches, I use term/phrases that make my kids look at me like I all of a sudden started speaking a foreign language, everything I eat give me gas and I have had to update my Rx for contacts three times in two years.... I'm going with; just getting old! :???:

With any luck this will be one of the days I forget :confused5

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

OldCannon wrote:Gotta do it like making a holy cross: "Spectacles, Something that rhymes with Spectacles, Wallet, and Watch." Although my more modern version is "Spectacles, Pistol, Wallet, iPhone." Doesn't rhyme as well, but it helps me remember the things I need throughout the day "rlol"
I always start that litany with "Pants". Just, you know, in case.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

I have to admit, my first thought was "how do you forget a pistol?" but then I remembered that I have no room to talk. Years ago, I used to carry an old dinosaur of a two way radio on my hip all day. Well, that same time period I was at a game ranch with some buddies and we got in the truck with one of the "guides". After getting in the truck, everyone decided to go into town real quick and grab a bite to eat. We got to the little Town and Country and I got out to let the person in the middle out. As I walked toward the door, some guy was walking out and all of a sudden his eyes got kinda big. :headscratch I quickly realized why. :banghead: I hadn't removed my Super Redhawk from my hip when I got in the truck because at the time I didn't realize we were leaving the ranch and I was so used carrying the weight of that old radio that I didn't notice the weight of the revolver when I got out of the truck. I don't guess anyone else noticed and nobody said anything but I sure felt like an idiot.

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

Oh, I'm definitely going to vote for getting old... =)

steve817

Post by steve817 »

The other day I clipped my crossbreed supertuck inside my waist band, put my PX4 in it and left the house. Wasn't until I was at Petsmart a little while later that I realized my pistol felt like it was bouncing around a lot. Oops, forgot the belt.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

I have developed a routine that I always follow. I pat my shirt pocket to make sure my phone is there. I tap my right, front pants pocket to make sure my knife is clipped there. I tap my left, front pants pocket to make sure my light is clipped there and my Gerber Artifact is in the pocket. I tap my holster to make sure my EDC is there. I tap the left side of my belt to make sure my extra mag and Leatherman Juice are there. Lastly I tap my wallet pocket to make sure my DL and CHL are there. I have a great fear of needing to produce both of them, and not having them. That is the routine when I am wearing long pants. Cargo pants require a shift of flashlight and knife to lower cargo pockets in order to accomodate my BUG in the front, left, upper pocket. Sounds like a lot, but you get used to it if you carry that way for a week or two. (Oh, yeah...double-weave paracord bracelet on left forearm).

I used to be a Boy Scout.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Topic author
rescuetech

Post by rescuetech »

tallmike wrote:Oh, I'm definitely going to vote for getting old... =)
Thanks Mike I needed that :waiting:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have never done that with a weapon but I was talking to my wife on my cell phone as I pulled int the parking lot at the office, got out of the truck, set the alarm and walked into the office, all still talking to her. I get upstairs and reach for my side and do ot feel my phone. I go back to the truck and find that its not there. I start to panic and try to think where I could have left it. About this time my wife notices the change and panic in my voice and asks me what is wrong and I proceed to tell her I have lost my phone and that I will have to call her back so I can look for it. ThenI hear this love of my life laughing uncontrollably.I yell at her that its not funny and she says yes it is, what are you talkng to me on? :oops: Then appologies bein for yelling at her
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

For those of you who play Call of Duty I do an equipment check any time I walk out a door just like you see the characters doing while waiting for a round to start.

I pat 3 pockets (both front and 1 back) and in the process hit my carry with my wrist during one of the pats. So pretty much akin to wallet, keys, phone, pistol and only takes a split second. I do it just about any time I leave a building and especially after sitting. Biggest worry is forgetting my phone but I check for them all.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Yep - needs to be two things in the LR pocket, two things in the LF pocket, and pistol on the right side makes 5. That's my system.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “Never Again!!”