Always Check Your Pockets Before Entering a School

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Always Check Your Pockets Before Entering a School

Post by schufflerbot »

I absolutely loathe the fact that upstanding CHL holders cannot carry onto a college campus. My good friend carried on campus after he was robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot of UH. He didn't disclose this fact, even to his nearest friends, until he had graduated and it was no longer necessary for him to visit that campus.

yes, he was breaking the law, yes I semi-scolded him for it but in the end, i feel that it's lunacy to disallow those verified to be competent carriers from protecting themselves while at school.

FWIW, i've found myself forgetting i'm carrying when i have my wife's LCP in my pocket... very easy to do when you carry a smart phone as they're dang near the same size and weight in one's pockets.

jeffrw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jeffrw »

schufflerbot wrote:it's lunacy to disallow those verified to be competent carriers from protecting themselves while at school.
:iagree:

I teach a night class on a campus in the Houston area, and it would be nice to have that extra security on the walk back to my car afterward. I've never felt terribly unsafe, but the campus police generally are not actively patrolling that lot. As the adage goes, if I ever got into the situation where seconds count, they'd surely be just a couple of minutes away.

I read that in Mississippi, you can carry on campus if you complete an extra safety class. If that option were available here in Texas I would be the first in line to sign up for the class. (Not saying an extra class should necessarily be required, but I'd still gladly take it.)

mgood

Post by mgood »

I've done it.
I probably posted about it here somewhere.

I had my pistol in my backpack/bookbag because I had it in there during a weekend trip. Got back in town just in time for class.
Sitting in class, I opened my bag to get my book and saw the pistol. :shock:
Just kept a low profile until I got home and miraculously no one was shot by the evil gun which had slipped into the gun-free classroom.

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

mgood wrote:I've done it.
I probably posted about it here somewhere.

I had my pistol in my backpack/bookbag because I had it in there during a weekend trip. Got back in town just in time for class.
Sitting in class, I opened my bag to get my book and saw the pistol. :shock:
Just kept a low profile until I got home and miraculously no one was shot by the evil gun which had slipped into the gun-free classroom.
wow, you are truly lucky. i've heard that once a person carries a weapon into the classroom, they're instantly overtaken with the urge to kill as many people as possible.

glad you could control yourself! :smilelol5:

eureka40
Posts in topic: 3

Post by eureka40 »

I have a question. I will be on the campus at Baylor University this week for a graduation.

As a CHL holder, can I keep the weapon in the car if it is parked on campus during the ceremony?

I'm somewhat confused about CHL and college campus issues.

:banghead:
TSRA Life Memeber

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

eureka40 wrote:I have a question. I will be on the campus at Baylor University this week for a graduation.

As a CHL holder, can I keep the weapon in the car if it is parked on campus during the ceremony?

AFAIK, you're fine. I think you can even carry there if the ceremony is outside and the campus is not posted. See my signature for details.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Dave2 wrote:
eureka40 wrote:I have a question. I will be on the campus at Baylor University this week for a graduation.

AFAIK, you're fine. I think you can even carry there if the ceremony is outside and the campus is not posted. See my signature for details.
No, you can't carry at the ceremony, that would be a school sponsored function. However, you can leave it in your car in the parking lot. You can also carry on the grounds as long as there is not another school sponsored event going on.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Thanks Keith, I appreciate your knowledge on this subject.

I saw a press release from Baylor that made it sound as if the policy was no weapons on campus ever.

Even if CHL.

TSRA Life Memeber

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

Policy is not law.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

eureka40 wrote:Thanks Keith, I appreciate your knowledge on this subject.

I saw a press release from Baylor that made it sound as if the policy was no weapons on campus ever.

Even if CHL.

As soothoperator stated, school policy is not the law on this. Bottom line, the only affect policy has is on the students and they could be suspended or expelled for breaking policy.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Good lesson learned. Policy and law, two different things.

Thanks for all the input on my ignorance.

:tiphat:
TSRA Life Memeber

dev_null

Post by dev_null »

One thing about the security cables that come with those small safes: make sure it is strong enough (as in thick enough) to do the job. Manufacturers will tout the tensile strength, but nobody tries to pull them in half, they just take a pair of pliers to them. You may need to go by a hardware store and upgrade the cable if the one that's included is too wimpy.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."
GOA life member
JPFO life member

Return to “Never Again!!”