Officers daughter shot by sibling as they wait in car.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 3

Officers daughter shot by sibling as they wait in car.

Post by sugar land dave »

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Child-r ... 11265.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Marysville, Wa. officer left the children in the car. While gone, the younger child found a firearm in the car. The weapon fired, striking and killing the older daughter.
Last edited by sugar land dave on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Heartland Patriot

Re: Officers daughter shot by sibling as they wait in car.

Post by Heartland Patriot »

I went to read the story...it was short...then I made the mistake of looking at the comments...my blood boiled rapidly. Some Brady Campaign jackwagon with their little "love of gun culture" tirade. It was a LACK OF FIREARMS SAFETY, plain and simple, that led to this tragedy.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Heartland Patriot wrote:I went to read the story...it was short...then I made the mistake of looking at the comments...my blood boiled rapidly. Some Brady Campaign jackwagon with their little "love of gun culture" tirade. It was a LACK OF FIREARMS SAFETY, plain and simple, that led to this tragedy.
It was more than a lack of safety, it was also also a lack of understanding and familiarity with guns. My wife's grandkids are extremely intelligent youths but they lack responsibilty and any parental instilled familiarity with guns. Will they get mine....NO.

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lambda Force »

The anti-2A types want cops to have guns even when citizens are not allowed to have them, so it shows the limited IQ of anti-2A types when they rant about "gun culture" when innocent people are shot with a cop's gun.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Topic author
sugar land dave

This is a small to medium size town of about 30,000. Quiet, and normally considered one of Washington states better communities. This is a sad reminder of safe firearm storage where children are involved. May God find a way to grant recovery and peace to this family.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
sugar land dave

Heartland Patriot wrote:...then I made the mistake of looking at the comments...my blood boiled rapidly...
This occurred in a ultra-liberal state, so I am not that surprised at the comments. though like you, I am dismayed by them. Families can read too.
NRA Life Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

sugar land dave wrote:This is a small to medium size town of about 30,000. Quiet, and normally considered one of Washington states better communities. This is a sad reminder of safe firearm storage where children are involved. May God find a way to grant recovery and peace to this family.
It has nothing to do with firearm storage. When my kids were that age they wouldn't touch a gun unless I handed it to them. They were raised with a loaded 22 rifle standing in the corner behind the front door. Never knew what would be on the front porch. When my youngest was 2 he would not touch a gun because he knew he would get his butt warmed if he did. Today I tell people "if it's not on you lock it up" because people don't train their kids about guns and to not touch what is not theirs.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

MeMelYup wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:This is a small to medium size town of about 30,000. Quiet, and normally considered one of Washington states better communities. This is a sad reminder of safe firearm storage where children are involved. May God find a way to grant recovery and peace to this family.
It has nothing to do with firearm storage. When my kids were that age they wouldn't touch a gun unless I handed it to them. They were raised with a loaded 22 rifle standing in the corner behind the front door. Never knew what would be on the front porch. When my youngest was 2 he would not touch a gun because he knew he would get his butt warmed if he did. Today I tell people "if it's not on you lock it up" because people don't train their kids about guns and to not touch what is not theirs.
There it is!

It ain't the kids, it's the parents who are initially at fault for their failure to instruct and train their little darlins' on the realities of life AND that actions have consequences (see above for one example).

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

MeMelYup wrote:
You know what MeMelYup, that got me to thinking. I remember my dad having a loaded 12 gauge that stood by the bedpost at the head of my folks' bed. This was when I was 5, 6, 7 years old...but I still remember that. We got into some of my dad's nice cologne, messed with a camera, and some other stuff, too...but never that gun. Whatever he did to impress upon us at that time, worked. (Later, he bought some melons at a farmer's market in Hempstead and shot them, and showed us how powerful it was...but that was definitely later.)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I believe in teaching children about guns at an early age. I also believe in safely storing or locking guns when it is likely that children will be around them. No matter how intelligent or educated they are, kids are kids.
NRA Endowment Member

EL29jm

Post by EL29jm »

:iagree:
WildBill wrote:I believe in teaching children about guns at an early age.
Completely Agree. When I was young, my father taught me not only about firearms but provided a memorable demonstration. He did secure his firearms and did teach me how to use a firearm at a young age. Today I have two of his firearms, safe queens, segmental reasons. Also, I taught the same lessons to my two children, now adults. Same memorable demonstration what a firearm is capable of.

But regarding the story, a tragedy that a life is lost due to a lapse of judgment. Reminder that we all need to be diligent of safety every moment.

Regards,
John
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

At my recent renewal class, unlike my first two classes, gun-proofing the kids was mentioned as opposed to kid-proofing the guns. This is how I have raised my daughter so far and much like MeMelYup's kids, mine wouldn't touch one without my permission. I now enjoy shooting much more with my little shooting buddy on range days.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Never Again!!”