Door To Door Solicitor Today

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

mgood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Door To Door Solicitor Today

Post by mgood »

thenick_ttu wrote:It's the disconnect between old farts and young pups. Most young people today don't see tats as anything more than body art or a way to express themself. Old people see tats as something that an upstanding member of society would never do, which is completely ridiculous in today's society.
I wore my hair long and had an ear ring for many years. (Will still wear an ear ring on occasions, but those occasions are getting pretty rare.)
Yeah, I was discriminated against.
You know what? That look was my choice. I could cut my hair and take off the ear ring any time.
People who get tats where they show have also made a choice, one that's not quite so easy to reverse.
hi-power wrote:I don't care if the solicitor is young, old, fat, skinny, white, black, brown, tats, no tats, there is nothing that I need that gets sold door to door nowadays.
There it is.
Even if it's something I really want, I won't buy it from some stranger who knocks on my door or calls me on the phone. If I want it, I'll come to you.
Girl Scouts (gotta love the cookies :drool: ), Boy Scouts, and legitimate kids from the local school raising money get a pass. The rest of you, GET OFF MY LAWN!

I may start asking solicitors if they have a permit and calling the police on them. I have no idea if my town requires permits or not, but if they're going to harass me at home, this looks like a good way to harass them for doing it. :cool:

speedsix
Posts in topic: 34

Post by speedsix »

...couldn't find anything about your city online regarding this, but in my search, I found that JW witnesses have been ruled by the SC not to be solicitors and they don't need permits...but that you can keep ANYONE from being on your property, solicitor or church door-knocker, by posting "no trespassing" signs...don't know the proper posting or wording...it's getting harder and harder to just be left alone...

magillapd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by magillapd »

“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

speedsix
Posts in topic: 34

Post by speedsix »

...don't know about proper but that one's sure crystal clear and easily understood(but you don't have it in English and Spanish)...

WildBill
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WildBill »

I like this one.
NRA Endowment Member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sjfcontrol »

magillapd wrote:Image
Where would a person get one of those? :hurry:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Glenn61

Post by Glenn61 »

I got one of those small "No Solicitor" signs at Lowes for my door and for the most part it works--with exception of kids trying to sell something and probably don't have a clue what it means. :lol:
NRA Life Member
TX CHL - Apr 2012
USAF 1989-2011

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I want a sign that says "I like my vacuum, I love my God, if you're over 18 no soliciting"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

SewTexas wrote:I want a sign that says "I like my vacuum, I love my God, if you're over 18 no soliciting"
FastSign will print one up for you. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

sjfcontrol wrote:
magillapd wrote:Image
http://atlassignsandplaques.com/nosolicitorssign.aspx
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sugar land dave wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
magillapd wrote:***
http://atlassignsandplaques.com/nosolicitorssign.aspx
At $85-220, I'd be afraid someone would steal it. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Sheesh, guys, times are tough. Be a good "X" (insert your religion here, yes even atheism is a "religion") and buy some stuff from door to door salespersons. A lot of them are unemployed and just trying to make ends meet. Some are helping out a church or youth group. My fave are girl scout cookies. Second are the chocolate bars sold by inner city high school kids. I hate peanut brittle. If I see peanut brittle, I'll just give 'em a couple of bucks but ask them to please not give me any peanut brittle.

If you don't like opening your door to strangers, that's fine. get a motion detector so you get advance notice of strangers at your door. Then, exit out the back/side door and flank 'em outside the house.

Or just get a door chain so you could answer the door without the risk of them forcing their way inside.

As always, keep your gun on you in your pocket. A little .380 or smaller caliber gun will fit nicely in your boxer shorts pockets. don't wear tighty whities (nowhere comfortable to stash your gun). If you're female, keep a gun in your robe pockets so when you throw on that robe to answer the door, you're armed.

P.S. When I was a idiot teen, I went from door to door selling... knives. Not the brightest thing to do! What's even more amazing is, after showing my briefcase full of knives, a few ladies actually let me in and bought some knives from me (never had a male customer). I couldn't find a summer job, so I had the bright idea that I could sell knives door to door.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Excaliber »

drjoker wrote:Sheesh, guys, times are tough. Be a good "X" (insert your religion here, yes even atheism is a "religion") and buy some stuff from door to door salespersons. A lot of them are unemployed and just trying to make ends meet. Some are helping out a church or youth group. My fave are girl scout cookies. Second are the chocolate bars sold by inner city high school kids. I hate peanut brittle. If I see peanut brittle, I'll just give 'em a couple of bucks but ask them to please not give me any peanut brittle.

If you don't like opening your door to strangers, that's fine. get a motion detector so you get advance notice of strangers at your door. Then, exit out the back/side door and flank 'em outside the house.

Or just get a door chain so you could answer the door without the risk of them forcing their way inside.

As always, keep your gun on you in your pocket. A little .380 or smaller caliber gun will fit nicely in your boxer shorts pckets so when you throw on that robe to answer the door, you're armed.

P.S. When I was a idiot teen, I went from door to door selling... knives. Not the brightest thing to do! What's even more amazing is, after showing my briefcase full of knives, a few ladies actually let me in and bought some knives from me (never had a male customer). I couldn't find a summer job, so I had the bright idea that I could sell knives door to door.
A door chain and a mouse gun??!! :roll:

(Sigh)

In New York folks quit using the door chains a few decades ago because they found they kept ripping them out themselves when they forgot the chain was on when they opened the door. Needless to say, nobody on the outside had any trouble getting past them out either.

There's a hint about their effectiveness in the fact that you don't see them on hotel or motel doors anymore except occasionally in establishments where room rentals are by the hour.

Preparing for a less than arms length encounter with a potential home invader by sticking a mousegun in one's pocket as the Plan B for the ripped out chain and voluntarily opened door isn't my idea of prepared.

YMMV - but history says it won't.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sjfcontrol »

Excaliber wrote:
drjoker wrote:Sheesh, guys, times are tough. Be a good "X" (insert your religion here, yes even atheism is a "religion") and buy some stuff from door to door salespersons. A lot of them are unemployed and just trying to make ends meet. Some are helping out a church or youth group. My fave are girl scout cookies. Second are the chocolate bars sold by inner city high school kids. I hate peanut brittle. If I see peanut brittle, I'll just give 'em a couple of bucks but ask them to please not give me any peanut brittle.

As always, keep your gun on you in your pocket. A little .380 or smaller caliber gun will fit nicely in your boxer shorts pckets so when you throw on that robe to answer the door, you're armed.

A door chain and a mouse gun??!! :roll:

(Sigh)

In New York folks quit using the door chains a few decades ago because they found they kept ripping them out themselves when they forgot the chain was on when they opened the door. Needless to say, nobody on the outside had any trouble getting past them out either.

There's a hint about their effectiveness in the fact that you don't see them on hotel or motel doors anymore except occasionally in establishments where room rentals are by the hour.

Preparing for a less than arms length encounter with a potential home invader by sticking a mousegun in one's pocket as the Plan B for the ripped out chain and voluntarily opened door isn't my idea of prepared.

YMMV - but history says it won't.
Meeting them outside the house doesn't sound too smart, either. :shock:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LeonCarr »

Meeting them outside is not tactically sound, but going out your back door, walking around your house, and walking up behind them on your porch while being armed with a slung M4 type AR or a slung Remington 870 12 gauge while wearing a Pancho Villa type bandolier full of 30 round magzaines or buckshot would get the message across :rules:

Just my .02 and completely talking smack,

LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “Never Again!!”