Door To Door Solicitor Today

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Door To Door Solicitor Today

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have ignored solicitors knocking on my door more times than I can count. A few times I was in a position that they could see me near my entry hall and in these cases I just waved them off. I am not the type of guy who welcomes a "poppin" visitor and I have never been compelled to answer the door for a solicitor.

I do open the door for girl scouts or boyscouts. I can't resist buying boxes of those cookies and I love getting rid of my extra can goods when the boy scouts are doing the food drives. Everyone else is treated as an unwelcomed intruder on my porch.

It would be fun to rig a bucket of manure to dump on solicitors. Unfortunately, it might cause one of them to do something stupid so I am forced to simply dream about it.

Did I mention I hate solicitors??? :coolgleamA:

ffemt300
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ffemt300 »

My neighborhood is plagued with solicitors. I live in the county and there are no permits required for peddlers. One guy came to my house a few years ago peddling an "amazing" new cleaning solution that smelled strangely like orange juice. Before I could stop him her drew on one of my shutters with a sharpie marker the proceeded to try and clean it off with his product. It didnt work so well on the marker and he ended up taking the paint off of my shutter. Naturally I was highly irritated and proceeded to run him off down the street, all the while making a complete fool out of myself. I called the SO to come out and make a report for damage to my property. I knew the deputy that came out and he calmly explained that there wasnt a whole lot that could be done other that filing the report. Long story short, I put up multiple "No soliciting" and really havent had any problems since. I dont open the door for them anymore. :txflag:

Texanaggie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texanaggie »

before my female Rott died she was the best way to get rid of door to door scammers... they would knock and she would bark like crazy i would come to the door and slightly open it and let her head stick out to "take a look" 99.99999999% of them took several steps back and of course i would act like she was hard to keep back (never was the case of course she was very well trained and also as funny as it sounds in synch with what i was doing) and say no thanks also gave them a chance to see house was protected by 100% Rott...

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I saw somewhere 15 pages back that the issue of utility workers came up. Living in a new development, this has been a constant problem for us. Evidently Center Point, Comcast, etc think they have an unimpeded right to go into our back yard without even the courtesey of notifying us. Well one day when the house behind us was being built, one of the utility workers came into our backyard to pull a board off the fence. My dog, who was busy laying out in the sun took exception to this and went ape. Now she is about the sweetest (and dumbest) dog I've ever had but she is very protective of her turf. Thankfully the worker managed to high tail it back out front and close the gate before she got a piece of him.

Of course then he came the door and had the nerve to be mad at my wife for the dog being out. My wife had to remind him that while they had an easement it was still in our backyard and with out any notice, they were taking their chances going back there. We haven't had a problem with that company since then, they are always sure to knock now.
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A few pages back, this was posted by 74novaman:
74novaman wrote:Its a generational thing. Don't assume everyone with ink has been to prison.
I would say "don't assume everyone without ink hasn't been to prison."

2 or 3 or 4 months ago, I don't remember exactly, a young guy came to my door. He may have had tats, I don't recall. He was African American, but I could care less about that. What I did care about was was that he was shirless, his jeans were dirty, and he gave a general appearance of being unkempt. His eyes were glassy, and he plainly had not brushed his teeth that morning....possibly not the morning before either........maybe not for a week. Pants were sagging, and there was 8 or 10 inches of underwear showing, and those were dirty.

He was trying to sell magazine subscriptions. I knew this because he was starting the same spiel that others have tried to use on me, but without having had that experience you would have never known this was his mission because all he ever talked about was raising so many points, and that he could get this or that, or maybe I had an opportunity to give him a chance—at what, exactly, I never did find out. He rambled on and on, and I finally put a hand up palm outward said, "stop right there. What exactly are you selling?" "Sir, I'm not trying to sell anything.....I've got a chance to do such and so....."

I cut him off again. "If you don't tell me what it is you want me to buy, I can't help you, and I'm busy. I run a business out of my home, and I've got work to do. Now, come to the point, or I am going inside and closing the door."

He finally admitted that he was trying to sell magazines from a list that he handed me. It was a handwritten list.

I said "no thanks, but you have a nice day, OK?" and started to back up a step to close the door. He got kind of verbally belligerant at that point. He did not move forward, but he just started whining about how NOBODY would just GIVE him a CHANCE. A CHANCE was all he wanted, blah blah blah blah blah. I said "ExCUSE me? I've done nothing for the last 10 minutes except give you a chance, and you have failed to take advantage of it." He started walking off, muttering and cursing about white folks, and gave me the "talk to the hand" gesture, like I was the one being a jerk, and went on down the block.

OK, tactics...... My front door hinges on the right, if you're facing outward. I was standing in the doorway, leaning against the left doorjamb. The door was open enough to expose me, but it wasn't wide open. In my left hand, out of sight and pointed downward at my left hip, was an M&P 45. I kept my right arm and hand behind the open door, so I was physically blocking the entrance. If he had made a move forward, I would have taken a step back and to my left as I brought the gun up. He, on the other hand would, because of the layout of my front entrance, have been trapped between two brick walls with only two directions of travel available to him: straight forward, or straight backward. I would have had the angle on him, and if necessary could have fired without worrying about where my bullet was going to go if I missed or overpenetrated, as he would have had a brick wall behind him at the angle. During the entire verbal exchange, he stood outside of that brick entryway, still out in the sun.

I felt as though I had the tactical upper hand the entire time, and I could afford to be generous with my time as I am self-employed and office at home. I really don't like being disturbed at home more than anybody else does, and I am cognizant of the attendant risks, but I do try and be open minded and I value courtesy and try to extend it to others when presented with the opportunity, even though I know that they are often looking to get something from me.

However, that guy was the worst one yet, and the trend has been in that direction. I haven't had an "innocent" kid come to my front door in a couple of years.....except maybe trick or treaters.......and those that do come soliciting tend to be more and more slovenly, and more and more trapped in their victimhood. I don't believe I'll be answering the door to any more solicitors from now on. That guy soured it for me.

I didn't realize that Grapevine had an ordinance. I'm going to put up one of those signs on my front door. I get tired of throwing away door hangers.

Other thoughts.... I didn't know that JWs enjoyed special status. On the other hand, when they knock on my door, it gives me a chance to invite them to my (Baptist) church to learn about Jesus and get saved. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ffemt300
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ffemt300 »

I put a "No Soliciting" sign on my screen door a while back and come to think of it the solicitors have stopped.....must be working... :coolgleamA:

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sjfcontrol »

ffemt300 wrote:I put a "No Soliciting" sign on my screen door a while back and come to think of it the solicitors have stopped.....must be working... :coolgleamA:
It does tend to work for the legitimate DtD salesmen. It doesn't do much for the illegitimate (?? :mrgreen: ) ones.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

Man TAM!!! I am surprised you opened the door to a guy looking like that standing on your porch. I would have kept an eye on him as he left, but I don't think I would have opened my door to him. They don't have to be wearing a suite and tie but they need to at least look like a normal respectable human being and be dressed in a manner that does not say, "I just slept under the overpass".

dihappy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dihappy »

My old house had a metal/glass door that would always remain locked. It was easy to open my wooden door and see/speak to whoever knocked or rang the doorbell.

I only had one incident there around 10pm when some guys knocked, no doubt either selling or casing homes.

I called PD and they came by, told them about the guy and that was it.

On another occasion i lived in an apartment complex, i was at work and my GF called saying someone was knocking really loud but when she went to the door she didnt see anyone. She said they knocked twice and so i told her to dial 911 and i left work early. Nothing ever came of it.

On a side note, ive grown impatient with those salesman that walk the parking lots or gas stations trying to sell you things. And since getting my CHL and trying to stay in color YELLOW, im sure ive come across as a bit of a butthead to a few of them guys. I dont even give them a chance anymore; when i see them walking up to me i put my hand out and tell them "sorry, but im not interested, have a good day".

One time one of these guys got upset and gave me an attitude saying "you dont even know what im going to say", i said "i dont need to know sir, im not interested in anything you have to say". He mumbled something and walked off. He and his other pals were trying to sell some window/car wax to folks at the gas station.

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

The poster did right. I have no doubt many of these knockers are casing places looking for easy pickings.
Recently have had a bunch of them at the door. I always have a 9mm in my hidden hand, and afraid the other day one of them may have spotted it because he took off in a hurry without any argument. We are about to put stormdoors over both the front and the back.
Other things I cannot stand is if they catch you outside doing yard work. Had a old man come by selling funeral services and could not get rid of him. I finally asked him to wait because I was going to go get my dogs (don't have any). He took off in a hurry also.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

The Annoyed Man wrote:A few pages back, this was posted by 74novaman:
74novaman wrote:Its a generational thing. Don't assume everyone with ink has been to prison.
I would say "don't assume everyone without ink hasn't been to prison."
Valid point as well. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

ArmyMama

Post by ArmyMama »

I live in a so-so neighborhood. I've had waaaaay too many "magazine salesmen" come to my door through the years. I do have 4 dogs, and when the doorbell rings, all heck breaks loose in my house! Of course, if you came in, they would love you to death, but the person on the other side of the door doesn't know that.

Some years ago, we had a repo man come to our door at 12:30am. He rang the doorbell and started beating on the door. My husband went to the door. He demanded to be let in. He was there to repo someone's car. We had two cars in the driveway, both paid for, neither one running, and neither the type of car he was looking for. He was screaming and yelling at my husband, who was yelling back at him through the window. He tried to push our door in. We had a 3 y.o., 5 y.o. and a 6 y.o. asleep, and I didn't want them awakened. The repo man would not go away. Normally, I would have gotten up and taken the 12 gauge pump to the door and pumped it so they guy could hear it, but I had shattered my leg and could only walk with a walker. Couldn't manage a walker and the 12 gauge, so I called the police, which were just 1/2 mile away. They sent 3 squad cars. The assured the repo man that we were not the people he was looking for. My husband told him to PLEASE take both cars in the driveway, as neither of them ran. The police said he was not breaking any laws (doing all this at 12:30am?) I told them he was breaking my laws if he woke my kids up. He got off our porch and sat in his truck in front of our house ALL NIGHT LONG. The police said there was nothing they could do as he was breaking no laws. This guy has us scared to death. He finally left at 4:30am. This freaked us out! I have NO TOLERANCE for unknown people coming to my door after this. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and church people are fine, everyone else had best stay off my front porch!
ArmyMama
Proud mother of a SPC and PFC in the United States Army and a nurse
NRA member, Beretta Nano 9mm, Beretta PX4 Storm-9mm w/20 round magazine, Beretta 92F 9mm, Beretta Neos .22 because it is fun!
Don't mess with Mama!

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

My story (from long ago) was more funny than frightening. I shared an apartment with two other guys at A&M back in the 70's. Not having an afternoon class on Tuesday and Thursday, I was there alone one Thursday afternoon and my roomies were in class. I hear the front door open, no knock and no voice. I thought that was weird so I grabbed my old single shot 410 and walk into the hallway. There was a middle-aged woman entering the hallway from the front door and the door was standing open.

Her jaw dropped as I pointed the shotgun at her and asked who the hell she was and how she got in. She said she was the apartment manager and she had a key. I pointed the 410 to the ceiling and firming explained she had no right to enter without permission or a police officer. I further explained that common courtesy would expect a knock before entering and a loud "is anybody home."

She said she wanted to leave a note that the complex would have exterminators spraying next week and she preferred to leave the notes inside. I told her to never enter any apartment without permission. She can buy some tape for her notices, and tape them to the door. She gave me a strange look and walked out, dropping her notice on the floor. She was walking funny as she left, I think she wet herself.

I laugh about it now, but it all boils down to simple courtesy. Folks that think they are entitled to enter your property or violate your privacy need to be corrected on the spot. If I had known it was a moron with a key, I wouldn't have grabbed the gun. I can't afford to assume anything, it might have been a bad guy looking for stuff to pawn. So I learned to plan for the worst and hope for the best. To me that's the general consensus of this thread.
Happy Trails! N
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks

I blasted a hole through a door when I was around 20. It was 2 AM and I awoke to the sound of someone messing with the door. I shouted as loud as I could... "WHO IS IT?" . No response but the banging got louder. I shouted again... "WHO IS OUT THERE?". The banging sound quickened. I shouted one more time"I HAVE A GUN. YOU BETTER STOP!". The banging got louder and more frantic.. BOOM!!! I let one rip! Right through the door!

My first thought was... "OH, man, what did I just do?". My wife had been on the phone with the Plano cops from our bedroom and was giving them a blow by blow of the action (as she percieved it from the bedroom). The 911 lady on the phone told her to have me put the gun away, because the officers had arrived and were ready to aproach the house. I put the gun away and after my wife told the 911 lady all was clear... An officer from outside shouts through the door... "IS THIS YOUR DOG?". I open the door and a mongral dog is hopping around on the front porch like he was everybodies buddy. It was a stray and thought my house was his home. I figured he would get excited everytime I shouted and scratch at the door in response. I had aimed at head level(for a human) so he was not hit. Pretty dumb move on my part, on hind sight. Problem was, it was late at night and in my stupor I was not thinking clearly. Thank god I didn't blast some ignorant drunk who thought my house was his home. I have heard of that happening.

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

ArmyMama wrote:I live in a so-so neighborhood. I've had waaaaay too many "magazine salesmen" come to my door through the years. I do have 4 dogs, and when the doorbell rings, all heck breaks loose in my house! Of course, if you came in, they would love you to death, but the person on the other side of the door doesn't know that.

Some years ago, we had a repo man come to our door at 12:30am. He rang the doorbell and started beating on the door. My husband went to the door. He demanded to be let in. He was there to repo someone's car. We had two cars in the driveway, both paid for, neither one running, and neither the type of car he was looking for. He was screaming and yelling at my husband, who was yelling back at him through the window. He tried to push our door in. We had a 3 y.o., 5 y.o. and a 6 y.o. asleep, and I didn't want them awakened. The repo man would not go away. Normally, I would have gotten up and taken the 12 gauge pump to the door and pumped it so they guy could hear it, but I had shattered my leg and could only walk with a walker. Couldn't manage a walker and the 12 gauge, so I called the police, which were just 1/2 mile away. They sent 3 squad cars. The assured the repo man that we were not the people he was looking for. My husband told him to PLEASE take both cars in the driveway, as neither of them ran. The police said he was not breaking any laws (doing all this at 12:30am?) I told them he was breaking my laws if he woke my kids up. He got off our porch and sat in his truck in front of our house ALL NIGHT LONG. The police said there was nothing they could do as he was breaking no laws. This guy has us scared to death. He finally left at 4:30am. This freaked us out! I have NO TOLERANCE for unknown people coming to my door after this. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and church people are fine, everyone else had best stay off my front porch!
For what it's worth:

Awhile back I bought a reasonably high powered green laser pointer ($$$) and have had very good success with it in discouraging un-invited people who want to be in my yard at night (one of the hazards of living near a juvinile detenssion center). From inside of the house, well out of sight I can hold the green dot quite steady on a chest, shoulder or other body part. This is apparently so disconserting to the interloper that they seem to want to leave "faster than a speeding bullet" when I turn on the laser. :shock:

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Return to “Never Again!!”