Door To Door Solicitor Today

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Door To Door Solicitor Today

Post by Excaliber »

agarcia82 wrote:I have a chl and i have lots of tattoos..does that make me a bad guy?? I think what you did was just racial profiling..you didnt care what the man had to say..you just seen tattoos and automatically thought he was a bad guy.. and when you told him to buz off thats exactly what the man did he left you alone..you on the other hand did not my good sir you pursued it by calling the cops.. heaven forbid someone with a tatoo ask you for help if they are being robbed youl just shut the door on them..
While the point that the presence of tattoos does not make one an automatic bad guy (leaving aside the discussion of what some types reveal in terms of gang membership, prison associations, etc.), it's worthwhile to remember that they don't make one an automatic good guy either.

In the case under discussion here, a great deal more than just the presence of tattoos was involved in triggering the OP's spidey sense, and it was the totality of the circumstances that led to his decision to call the police. They were dressed in a manner not appropriate for visiting strangers, asked inappropriate questions, and exhibited behavior that was inconsistent with what they said they were there for. The OP stated his concern was that they were checking out homes for future burglaries or home invasions. Whether that was their intent or not, their actions and manner matched what one would expect to see in that circumstance. His concerns about their character and intent were validated when one of the subjects was found to be in possession of unlawful drugs and was arrested and the other was cited for soliciting without a permit.

Ignoring fact patterns like this and trying to convince oneself that it's probably nothing is one of the most common elements in how victims attain that status.

This was a case of prudence, not prejudice.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by knotquiteawake »

agarcia82 wrote:I have a chl and i have lots of tattoos..does that make me a bad guy?? I think what you did was just racial profiling..you didnt care what the man had to say..you just seen tattoos and automatically thought he was a bad guy.. and when you told him to buz off thats exactly what the man did he left you alone..you on the other hand did not my good sir you pursued it by calling the cops.. heaven forbid someone with a tatoo ask you for help if they are being robbed youl just shut the door on them..
It doesn't make you a bad guy but it makes your job harder to make a good first impression.
Question, do you have tattoos on your hands or neck? Those two places for tattoos scream "gang member" to me from my experience working with law enforcement in Los Angeles and also from conversations with my Father in Law who is an assistant chief of Police out here in Texas. Tattoos on arms, legs, and back are much more common and I hardly notice them, but those two areas (neck/hands) seem to be more prevalent in certain gang type cultures. So if my personal experience tells me that a lot of people with tattoos on their hands or neck have been or are currently involved with gangs then I would be more inclined to keep my distance or treat them with suspicion until given a reason to act otherwise (friendly conversation, no BSing in your sales pitch, association with somebody I trust, etc).
Such a situation happened to me a few weeks ago where a guy knocked on my door, as I was walking up to the door and just about to open it up I saw that he had tattoos on his hands and at that point I decided to keep the door closed and just talk to him that way. He wanted to "look around" inside because he was part of the crew that remodeled the house before we moved in and was curious how it turned out. It felt weird so I told him no and he left no problem. But it was definitely his tattoos that set of the initial warning bells in my head.

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

Excalibur ...

:iagree:

:clapping:

:tiphat:

well-stated as always, sir

speedsix
Posts in topic: 34

Post by speedsix »

...he said nothing about the man's race...
..."tattoed" is not a race...can you express your opinion without flopping down a race card??? kinda like a whine...

agarcia82
Posts in topic: 6

Post by agarcia82 »

speedsix wrote:

..."tattoed" is not a race...can you express your opinion without flopping down a race card??? kinda like a whine...
I clearly read he said two white mails..is that not a race?????????? Kinda like a whine...
CHL CLASS- 5/6/12
ONLINE APP- 5/8/12
FINGERPRINTS- 5/10/12
PACKET MAILED- 5/10/12
RECEIVED BY DPS- 5/11/12
FINGERPRINTS COMPLETE- 5/24/12
BACKGROUND UNDER REVIEW- 5/24/12
BACKGROUND COMPLETE- 6/12/12
MANUFACTURING- 6/13/12
MAILED- 6/14/12
PLASTIC IN HAND!!!- 6/20/12

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sjfcontrol »

This just gets better and better...
IBTL
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

agarcia82 wrote:
speedsix wrote:

I clearly read he said two white mails..is that not a race?????????? Kinda like a whine...
The race of the individuals had nothing to do with the fact they had tattoos in the OP's post. Drop the inference that this was race related.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

agarcia82 wrote:
speedsix wrote:

...you expect us to believe you were responding to the OP's post...over 90 DAYS and over 10 PAGES AGO? that's NOT what you were responding to...the post you responded to was talking about danger signs based on the poster's experiences...and he said NOTHING about race...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...it's true that people can change...youthful attitudes change...my son has a large word tattoed across the base of his neck...in front, no less...I find it disgusting...he got it when he was 18...since then, he's married, joined the Army, served in Iraq, is a father soon to be father again...and works at a civilian job on an AFB...at 18, you'd have never dreamed he was headed where he is today...but he still has the tat and has to wear tight-necked Tshirts and high collars...didn't get this job "sporting" his tat, for sure...and he's making more than I ever have...

...when you meet a stranger, everything you see is all you know about him...then how he talks, if he looks you in the eye, posture...tone of voice and choice of words...you build your opinion of him as new info becomes available...when you knock on the door to try to make a living...look sharp...act sharp...the person whose money you'd like some of may just not care about your "making a statement"...and if you're there to make a sale, it's not important that he be exposed to all your personal stuff...

agarcia82

Post by agarcia82 »

speedsix wrote:
agarcia82 wrote:
speedsix wrote:

...you expect us to believe you were responding to the OP's post...over 90 DAYS and over 10 PAGES AGO? that's NOT what you were responding to...the post you responded to was talking about danger signs based on the poster's experiences...and he said NOTHING about race...
Yes i was responding to the op's post...thats what this thread is about RIGHT???????
CHL CLASS- 5/6/12
ONLINE APP- 5/8/12
FINGERPRINTS- 5/10/12
PACKET MAILED- 5/10/12
RECEIVED BY DPS- 5/11/12
MANUFACTURING- 6/13/12
MAILED- 6/14/12

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Oh well...
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Ameer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ameer »

If someone enjoys getting positive attention from people who like their tattoos, they really ought to grow up and accept that they're going to get negative attention from people who don't like them.

The racism comment is plum ignorant. People are born with a race. I don't know anyone born with a tattoo. :roll:
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

agarcia82

Post by agarcia82 »

:iagree: "rlol"
CHL CLASS- 5/6/12
ONLINE APP- 5/8/12
FINGERPRINTS- 5/10/12
PACKET MAILED- 5/10/12
RECEIVED BY DPS- 5/11/12
MANUFACTURING- 6/13/12
MAILED- 6/14/12

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

agarcia82 joined the forum on June 15. I have no problem believing that they were, in fact, responding to the OP.

A belated welcome, agarcia82.
NRA lifetime member

agarcia82

Post by agarcia82 »

KC5AV wrote:agarcia82 joined the forum on June 15. I have no problem believing that they were, in fact, responding to the OP.

A belated welcome, agarcia82.
:thumbs2:
Thank you sir..glad to be here..
CHL CLASS- 5/6/12
ONLINE APP- 5/8/12
FINGERPRINTS- 5/10/12
PACKET MAILED- 5/10/12
RECEIVED BY DPS- 5/11/12
MANUFACTURING- 6/13/12