Left gun in bathroom

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Left gun in bathroom

Post by smoothoperator »

MeMelYup wrote:
smoothoperator wrote:I keep hoping to find one.
it might be pink.
As long as it's reliable and accurate.

DarkSide

Post by DarkSide »

I told yall i put mine in side my pants in the crouch between my underwear and my pants.... I don't have a hosteler like that i have a 7 dollar black opps weapon.
Cert. Firefighter
USMC
Master In martial arts

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

austin-tatious wrote:I don't find it necessary to remove my holstered gun or just the gun when sitting down on a public or home toilet. As has been reported numerous times, you will forget it sooner or later.

I use an IWB most of the time. While still standing, I lower my pants until the waistband is just below my knees. I keep tension on the pants' waistband with my knees and then lower my underpants so the elastic waist wraps over the grip of the gun. Boxers or briefs work the same way. Then I can sit down. After that I can release the tension on the waistband a little without the holster and gun flopping over on the floor. I believe the same technique would work with an OWB holster. Sometimes I use an inside the pants groin holster (Smartcarry). That one is the easiest to deal with, you just lower it with your underpants and then sit down. As long as you don't let pants and all fall all the way to the floor, the gun will stay holstered.

Some like to remove their gun from whatever holster they are wearing on their belt and set it in the hammock formed by their briefs when they are pulled down. However, this might not work very well when you are wearing boxers. Also, I think it's always better to leave you gun holstered if you don't need to use it or store it. JMHO.
I am of the latter class as I had not conceived of another practical method. Thanks, I will certainly try that one.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Dragonfighter wrote:
austin-tatious wrote:I don't find it necessary to remove my holstered gun or just the gun when sitting down on a public or home toilet. As has been reported numerous times, you will forget it sooner or later.

I use an IWB most of the time. While still standing, I lower my pants until the waistband is just below my knees. I keep tension on the pants' waistband with my knees and then lower my underpants so the elastic waist wraps over the grip of the gun. Boxers or briefs work the same way. <SNIP>
I am of the latter class as I had not conceived of another practical method. Thanks, I will certainly try that one.
Okay, now that I have tried this on our recent trip West, I second this as a great method to use when in a, ahem, sit down situation. Thanks austin-tatious.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

BKRushing
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BKRushing »

jeffrw wrote:Some time ago I was having a little work done on my car, and while waiting I used the restroom. Right next to the toilet was a little recessed shelf, and it seemed easiest to just remove my IWB holster (with the gun in it as usual) and set it there on the shelf.

Well, from my subject line you know what happened next. After finishing I forgot about my gun and just went back out into the waiting area. A few minutes later I was chatting with the manager who was talking about a new location they had opened up. When she described the location I recognized it as being near a shooting range that I frequent. That made me think about my weapon, at which point I subtly felt for it at its usual position, noticed it was not there, realized what I had done, and had a momentary panic. Luckily, the shop was not that busy, and there were no other customers to use the restroom. So I let the manager finish her thought, and then simply said, "Excuse me for just a minute," and stepped back into the restroom to retrieve my gun.

In the end, there was no harm done. But I shudder to think what would have happened if someone had gone in there before I realized my mistake. And what if we had not had the conversation that made me think about the range, which made me remember my gun? I was lucky this time. Lesson learned -- before leaving a public restroom, double- and triple-check that everything is where it's supposed to be!
Scary scenario. One thing I did to combat this is dual carry when I am away from home. By that I mean I carry a Ruger LCP in .380 on my person and my Glock 26 in my glovebox. The Ruger is small and light enough to put in my back pocket with a pocket holster and not be noticed without being cumbersome. Some people slam the .380 as a weak cartridge, but I challenge them to step in front of one about to be fired. I don't know anyone sticking around to be shot at by anything. It is a good little hold out gun until you get to the big stuff.
Glovebox & EDC: Glock 26 9mm
Summer Carry: Ruger LCP .380

Return to “Never Again!!”