Marine accidentally shoots friend with shotgun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Marine accidentally shoots friend with shotgun

Post by Jumping Frog »

All the dictionaries in the world won't change it from being a pet peeve of mine.

Negligent is a legal term defining a level of culpability. People are responsible for their negligent acts.

An accident sounds like a force of nature where the actor is not at fault. I will continue to call it negligent.

If the wind blows the tree down on my car is an accident. If I saw the tree down and it falls on my car, that is negligent.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:All the dictionaries in the world won't change it from being a pet peeve of mine.

Negligent is a legal term defining a level of culpability. People are responsible for their negligent acts.

An accident sounds like a force of nature where the actor is not at fault. I will continue to call it negligent.

If the wind blows the tree down on my car is an accident. If I saw the tree down and it falls on my car, that is stupid.
There, I fixed it for you. ;-)

I have a friend who was stupid; twice. :roll:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

WildBill wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:With friends like that, yada yada...
I only shoot friends with a small caliber handgun.... :smilelol5:
Yes :iagree: never shoot friends that carry a large caliber hand gun. "rlol"
"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Glenn61 wrote:An Iraqi war vet kills his Marine friend. I just don't understand why these stupid things continue to happen--especially between individuals who are presumably familiar with firearms. I can't imagine how many times these guys have gone through training before being deployed or annual requal :banghead: The guy who shot him was just charged with manslaughter today.

to Jumping Frog: I agree with you--this should not have been called "accidental." More like incompetent.
It is people who are familiar with guns who are complacent. I have been muzzled twice. Once by a police officer at a gun shop and another time by a gun shop employee.

It is beginners who are most careful. I taught a beginner to shoot recently and she said, "This gun is scary. I'm going to be very careful with it."

Guns should NEVER stop being scary to you, because if they do, you just might get complacent! Remember the safety rules;
1. all guns are loaded, even when they're "not loaded"
2. never point a gun at anything or anyone you don't want to destroy.
3. don't put bullets in it until you're going to use it (yes, carrying a gun is "using" it. it is THAT grave a responsibility).

Be safe out there! :patriot: :txflag:

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

MoJo wrote:Some adults need to heed the advise of Eddie Eagle

1. Stop

2. Don't touch

3. Leave the area

4. Tell an adult (that knows what they are doing)

yea jarheads need to remember this!!!!

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

drjoker wrote:
Guns should NEVER stop being scary to you, because if they do, you just might get complacent! Remember the safety rules;
1. all guns are loaded, even when they're "not loaded"
2. never point a gun at anything or anyone you don't want to destroy.
3. don't put bullets in it until you're going to use it (yes, carrying a gun is "using" it. it is THAT grave a responsibility).

Be safe out there! :patriot: :txflag:
I've never seen your #3, but you're missing these:

3. Never put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
4. Always be sure of your target and what is behind your target.

As far as your #3 goes, my guns are always loaded. Even when they're not. (See #1)
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

JP171 wrote:

1. Stop

2. Don't touch

3. Leave the area

yea jarheads need to remember this!!!!

...the way jarheads handle guns is largely responsible for the fact that we speak English rather than German...don't forget... ;-)

Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

1. Stop

2. Don't touch

3. Leave the area

Almost follows Boyd's Loop doesn't it? OODA
When purposefully in the presence of a firearm...
Observe - make a visual assessment of the firearm in question, note all indicators and surroundings (always assume it is loaded!)
Orient - verify surroundings before handling firearm if firearm is to be used/carried/moved in any way (always assume it is LOADED!)
Decide - make a purposeful decision to use or not use the firearm based on your surroundings and/or situation (ALWAYS assume it is LOADED!)
Act - conceal/fire/store/etc. the firearm in a safe fashion (ALWAYS ASSUME IT IS LOADED!)

And again...as a reminder to everyone who reads this...even when it's not loaded...assume it's loaded.
"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

Return to “Never Again!!”