Ban Nailguns

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Ban Nailguns

Post by philip964 »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 6-10-14-18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep the finger off the trigger unless you want to nail something.
Don't point the nail gun at something you don't want to nail.
The nailgun is always loaded.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ban Nailguns

Post by ELB »

It implies he might have had the business end pointed at himself, since it mentions the jam, but with a nail gun ricochet is a possibility as well, especially since he mostly likely did not have it snugged up against a piece of would. I don't know for sure that a ricochet would still have enough energy to penetrate the chest, but I have scared myself a couple times enough that I would not like to test it.
USAF 1982-2005

Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

philip964 wrote:http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 6-10-14-18

Keep the finger off the trigger unless you want to nail something.
Don't ban the nailguns, ban nails. Make them fire rounds of marshmallows or cotton balls :evil2: .
Then he wouldn't have had the ER visit. "rlol"
"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

fenster

Post by fenster »

philip964 wrote:...Keep the finger off the trigger unless you want to nail something.
so my buddy and I were re-doing the siding on his house, and using a pneumatic nailer. while handling it, just out of habit, I avoided pointing it at either of us, kept my finger off the trigger, handed it to him grip-first, muzzle-down, all that good stuff. my buddy, not really a gun guy, noticed and made the connection and sort of took up the same habit. these habits were confirmed to be a good idea when at one point, he plugged the air-line into the compressor, and a nail discharged! :shock: I was holding it, and the nail furrowed itself in the ground in front of me. we both paused and looked at each other with shocked expressions.

we did some experimentation to try and understand what happened. it turns out with this nailer, if, while not pressurized, you depressed the muzzle safety against something, then pulled the trigger, it set itself up to fire as soon as air was plugged in. after that incident, we used firearms safety protocol for the remainder of the project.

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

accidentally shoots himself in the heart with a nail gun... ::Sigh::..
No More Signature

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

My Father-In-Law has owned his been a building contractor for almost 60 years. In all those years of using power tools (saws, nail guns, etc.) and working in high places on scaffolds and ladders, he had never had any serious accidents until about 2 weeks ago. While nailing a cross-member the nail gun kicked back and then came back down. He still had his finger on the trigger and when it hit the second time, the nail gun fired and sent a nail right through his finger. It then rebounded once more, this time with his finger off the trigger, but came back down on his thumb, and the weight of the nail gun plus the fact he was leaning into the work caused it to shatter the end of his thumb. All of this happened within a couple of seconds.

Luckily, the nail missed the bone in his finger, so no major damage. The thumb actually hurt more than the finger did. A few weeks of soreness and all will be good.

I have attached a photo of his hand. WARNING: Photo is VERY graphic. DO NOT click link if you are the least bit squeamish!! :shock:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5446/7051 ... 4144_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:Luckily, the nail missed the bone in his finger, so no major damage. The thumb actually hurt more than the finger did. A few weeks of soreness and all will be good.

I have attached a photo of his hand. WARNING: Photo is VERY graphic. DO NOT click link if you are the least bit squeamish!!
Ouch!!!
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:Luckily, the nail missed the bone in his finger, so no major damage. The thumb actually hurt more than the finger did. A few weeks of soreness and all will be good.

I have attached a photo of his hand. WARNING: Photo is VERY graphic. DO NOT click link if you are the least bit squeamish!!
Ouch!!!
I think he said that and a few other choice words. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Ouch!!!
I'll bet he did! :nono:
NRA Endowment Member

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Ouch!!!
I'll bet he did! :nono:

I'm betting ouch wasn't in there anywhere. :biggrinjester:
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Was that nail micro stamped from the firing pin?

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

MeMelYup wrote:Was that nail micro stamped from the firing pin?
Perhaps we should limit nail-guns to 8-nail magazines! (or is it clips?)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

CaptWoodrow10

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
What about coil nailers and those evil drum "mags"?
:mrgreen:
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

CaptWoodrow10 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
What about coil nailers and those evil drum "mags"?
:mrgreen:

Nailing coils should be outlawed, and drums used only to make music! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mgood

Post by mgood »

I nailed my finger. We were putting in forms to pour concrete. Several times that day as I was holding the 2x4 to the stake, I thought that I'd better be careful or I'm going to shoot a nail through my finger. Sure enough, I eventually did it.
Hurt. :grumble Said bad words. A lot of them.

A friend of mine who's a professional contractor shot himself through the kneecap with one. :shock:
No finger on the trigger in his case. It was defective. As soon as it hit something it would fire, without the trigger being pulled. He knew this. In fact, he wouldn't let any of his guys use it because he was afraid they'd hurt themselves with it so he used it himself. Was trying to pull some slack in the air hose and it bumped against his knee and BLAM.

Return to “Never Again!!”