Or, alternatively, how Facebook saved my life.
Yesterday my family had a really close call with Carbon Monoxide. I was working from home yesterday and started feeling really ill around 12:45PM and figured I just needed to eat, so I ate, and alas still felt sick. I figured I was just coming down with something, and continued to work. During a break, I casually posted on my Facebook account that I wasn't feeling well with a brief outline of my symptoms. About 4:45, with my condition unchanged, I was pretty miserable. One of my buddies immediately called me and said "Get out of your house NOW, it sounds like you have carbon monoxide poisoning!". I was shocked and at first didn't put much weight into his claim, but still got my butt (and the dog's butts) out of the house as fast as possible. I was sitting in my computer chair when he called me up, and I think I literally got up so fast that It was spinning it circles!
So, once outside he says to stay out there and call the gas company, or 911 ASAP. I opted for the first choice because I didn't think I felt "That" bad, and was still skeptical. So I called up Atmos Energy and told them what as happening, and they told me to stay outside of the house and that they were sending a technician over quickly. About an hour later he finally showed up (good thing I have a nice backyard to hang out in!
). I wasn't feeling much better when he finally arrived, but the fresh air was seeming to help. The Tech went inside, and checked my oven, and found that it was leaking and had a huge issue with Carbon Monoxide! He said that his detector hit 34ppm and he immediately turned off the gas to the stove. 35ppm is enough to make you sick over 6-8 hours - pretty much exactly the same amount of time I had been in my home when I first started to get sick around 12:45. The tech then ran some more tests, opened some windows, and said "Yeah, that was a pretty bad leak for any type of appliance". He made sure the levels in the house were safe and said I could go back inside (after it aired out). I still opted to wait outside as much as possible until my wife got home from work, and she took me straight to the ER to get checked out. She had also been feeling the effects too, and had a migraine from it, but since I had been spending much more time in the house than her, I was worse off. The ER took blood to check our blood oxygen level and cleared us, saying that our levels were off a bit but within a safe level. I'd been out of the gas and in fresh air long enough that my body had done a great job of getting me healthy again. To be honest, if I'd just ignored my buddies advice, I would have been dead within a few hours. My wife would have come home to find myself and the dogs gone... that's an extremely sobering thought. We got really lucky yesterday! My Buddies intuition saved our lives!
We're renting the house we are in right now, having just moved here from another part of the state. There was a Detector present, but, it didn't detect a thing - the batteries were fine, but for some reason it's just DOA. Thankfully everything turned out ok... the landlord has been very professional, understanding and has been working with is to make sure everything is safe and fixed up (even going as far as to take care of the ER bills). So the moral of the story?
Have more than 1 Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home! If you have a leak, and one of the detectors dinks out on you, at least you'll have a backup to let you know you need to get out! I know I'll be buying at least two detectors to place in the areas of the home we spend the most time in, in addition to the replacement our landlord is providing.
Secondly, don't take any chances! Had I chosen to blow off my friends urging, I wouldn't be here typing this message. And all because he saw my Facebook post, describing my symptoms. I don't like FB that much, but in this case it was the catalyst for a life saving activity!
Stay safe folks! Make sure you check your detectors regularly as it can save you and your families lives!