2 out of 3 carrying

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2 out of 3 carrying

Post by Jumping Frog »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ajwakeboarder wrote:How is that possible when you have to be 21 to buy a handgun? I thought you had to be 21 to enact MPA.
"Buy" and "possess" are two different things. It is not illegal for an 18 year old to possess a handgun....only to buy a handgun.
CLARIFICATION: Under Federal law, it is only illegal for a person age 18-20 to purchase a handgun from an FFL. Federal law allows them to purchase a handgun in a private transaction.

There are states that make it illegal to for a private individual to sell or provide a handgun to someone age 18-20 under their state law. Texas does not have that problem. :cheers2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

Congratulations you just helped a guy buy a crack rock
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

My thoughts are that carrying a PX4 (I've got 4 of them) with the safety/decocker on is at best silly, at worst dangerous.

I never give beggars money. It just encourages them to continue.

Other than that, I'm glad you got out safely.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

I agree with the other posters “it was an aborted robbery" no one just drives up and bums money. you were wrong for giving it to him. That is an age old trick " hey mister; you gotta match" and when you aren’t looking you get jumped.
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

e-bil

Post by e-bil »

$5 and everyone gets to go home and not fight HPD (who seems to be on quite the rampage lately) and Houston's DA is a pretty good compromise.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...sounds like you mean feed the monster and maybe you're safe for another day...evil is not pacified...you only made him stronger for the next victim...it's not about the $5, it's about standing up against evil...life ain't no fairy tale...if you fear the authorities...you've given up already...it's just a tossup to see who runs your life...the "good guys" or the bad...

e-bil

Post by e-bil »

Ideologically, I completely agree with you 100%. However, the story about someone being dead right and being dead right there is also applicable here. Was it the best possible outcome for the bad guy with two armed citizens drawn down on him? Probably but he gave it to the guy willingly, not under duress. Was it the best possible outcome for the OP? Definitely since he didn't have to shoot and he avoids lots of lawyer costs.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

While I agree that the "beggar" should have gone away empty handed...

And I certainly agree that this sounds like no simple "beggar" but an aborted robbery attempt...

I won't negatively criticize the OP, and in fact offer my praise for a job well done....espeically since I get the sense of a lesson learned the hard way.

Pilots will tell you that any landing you walk away from is a good landing...these situations are the same, in my eye.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

I would say any situation in which you go home at the end of the night is a win. With that thought in mind, this was a successful robbery avoidance by the OP.

And I agree it was an aborted robbery.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ajwakeboarder »

cbunt1 wrote:
Pilots will tell you that any landing you walk away from is a good landing...these situations are the same, in my eye.
Funny you should say that. I'm actually a pilot in training. I figured i would be better off trying to give up $5 and avoid any trouble than have to possibly shoot someone and then pay lawyer fees. I'm not afraid of a fight, but imho, fighting should be a last resort.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bob in Big D

Post by Bob in Big D »

IMO it was an aborted robbery and possibly going to jack that fine Trans-Am for a little joy ride.

Good news you and the BG walked away. :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Gun Control Means Using Two Hands!

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Ya know, trying to decide whether it was ethically correct to give the potential robber the $5 reminds me of an inscription on a tomb stone I saw in La Grange some time back:

"Here lies Will O'Day
who died defending his right of way.
His will was clear and his right was strong
but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong."

IMHO: anything you do to get out of a fight is a really great plan. Maybe the other guy really needs nutrializing but you don't have to be the one to do it.

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

egonpax

Post by egonpax »

Thanks for sharing this story. It does seem like it was an aborted robbery. You handled it well and we're glad you made it home at the end of the day.

Return to “Never Again!!”