Forgot My Phone

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
elpjt
Posts in topic: 3

Forgot My Phone

Post by elpjt »

Still a little shaken but promise to never go out without the phone. I was on my way back to the house from a short errand when I saw a women laying in the street and a vehicle in front of her a few yards down the road on a side street. I flipped a u-turn and went back to what I thought was a pedestrian accident. When I turned the corner I find it's a domestic in progress and the male yelling at her. I reached for the trusty cell phone and of course by the title you can guess I forgot it on the counter. Several cars were watching so I decided to head to the fire station. The station was just around the corner so I went into the parking lot just as the chief was leaving in the pick-up. I got his attention and told them where the people were at and headed back to the scene. The vehicle was two blocks south and the women was struggling to get backout of the vehicle. She ran up into the yard, he got out so I layed on the horn. He cussed me an puffed up but I was being the noisy witness. By then the chief who had gone the opposite direction way showed up at the scene. They saw him force her back into he car and began following. They drove off and firemen followed them. I didn't follow them and decided to get to the house.

I never exited the car and kept a good 30 yard buffer between myself and the male. I made mental notes and was prepaired to write down lic. plate number. I bought her time by honking the horn till the firemen showed up. I was carrying my 9mm as I usually do. I never thought the need to reach for the weapon. Was prepared to make a hasty exit should he move towards me. I think I did my best but have to look back at the situation and improve on my technique.
Run Fast, Turn Left

speedsix
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Forgot My Phone

Post by speedsix »

...wisely handled...did the best you could with the tools at hand...and I'll bet she's glad!!! :thumbs2:

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Good story! It seems like you remained calm, used your head and did the right thing considering what you had to work with. Good job! Now go get yourself a holster for that phone and keep it strapped on like you would your sidearm. :mrgreen:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Good job!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

elpjt wrote:Still a little shaken but promise to never go out without the phone. I was on my way back to the house from a short errand when I saw a women laying in the street and a vehicle in front of her a few yards down the road on a side street. I flipped a u-turn and went back to what I thought was a pedestrian accident. When I turned the corner I find it's a domestic in progress and the male yelling at her. I reached for the trusty cell phone and of course by the title you can guess I forgot it on the counter. Several cars were watching so I decided to head to the fire station. The station was just around the corner so I went into the parking lot just as the chief was leaving in the pick-up. I got his attention and told them where the people were at and headed back to the scene. The vehicle was two blocks south and the women was struggling to get backout of the vehicle. She ran up into the yard, he got out so I layed on the horn. He cussed me an puffed up but I was being the noisy witness. By then the chief who had gone the opposite direction way showed up at the scene. They saw him force her back into he car and began following. They drove off and firemen followed them. I didn't follow them and decided to get to the house.

I never exited the car and kept a good 30 yard buffer between myself and the male. I made mental notes and was prepaired to write down lic. plate number. I bought her time by honking the horn till the firemen showed up. I was carrying my 9mm as I usually do. I never thought the need to reach for the weapon. Was prepared to make a hasty exit should he move towards me. I think I did my best but have to look back at the situation and improve on my technique.
Domestic conflict situations are very complex and things are seldom what they seem to be (or what you are told at first.) You managed this situation very well with clear, resourceful thinking and good decisions as events unfolded. I especially commend you for not bringing your gun into play inappropriately and escalating the situation.

You can bet the firemen coordinated with the PD until the car was intercepted and the situation was sorted out by folks who get paid to do that.

Nice work - even without the phone.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
elpjt

Post by elpjt »

Thanks for the comments.

JT
Run Fast, Turn Left

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Sounds like you were a great witness. Excellent job.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Panzer Possum

Post by Panzer Possum »

I keep a cheap prepaid phone in the car for emergencies. The law says they have to allow 911 calls even if there's no money on the account.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

speedsix wrote:...wisely handled...did the best you could with the tools at hand...and I'll bet she's glad!!! :thumbs2:
Yep! Bet you'll remember the phone next time though. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
elpjt

Post by elpjt »

Thanks for the ideas. I have become more aware of what goes in the pockets and don't leave the house without being prepared.

JT
Run Fast, Turn Left

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

I do a "patdown check" every time I step out of the door.

Gun...check
Extra magazine.....check
Phone.....check
Wallet......check
Keys.....check
Knife.....check

And then we're off!
TANSTAAFL

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

74novaman wrote:I do a "patdown check" every time I step out of the door.

Gun...check
Extra magazine.....check
Phone.....check
Wallet......check
Keys.....check
Knife.....check

And then we're off!
No tactical light?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Excaliber wrote: No tactical light?
I only have so many pockets. :biggrinjester:

I do keep a flashlight in the center console of my car, and one on the bedside table.
TANSTAAFL

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Excaliber wrote:
74novaman wrote:I do a "patdown check" every time I step out of the door.

Gun...check
Extra magazine.....check
Phone.....check
Wallet......check
Keys.....check
Knife.....check

And then we're off!
No tactical light?

I keep 2 small and one large Mag-Lite in my truck. My wife keeps 1 small and 1 large Mag-Lite in hers. Not really a problem.

My list also continues with 2 extra mags. 1 spare pistol w/ 3 mags. Two folding lockback knives and sundry other items.

eternal Boy Scout here "Be Prepared!"

:thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

74novaman wrote:
Excaliber wrote: No tactical light?
I only have so many pockets. :biggrinjester:
<snip>
That's what the belt-holster mag light is for. :mrgreen:
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Return to “Never Again!!”