an expensive mistake...........

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

an expensive mistake...........

Post by Salty1 »

I was over at Greybeard's range and set up his cronograph so I could test some new reloads I had. It was a typical Friday evening, shoot some rounds and chat for a while with friends. With the crony all set up and my 308 on the bench it was time to check the velocity, bipod down, rifle firmly against my shoulder and squeeze the trigger, life is good...... Immediatly a hole developed in the chrony........ :banghead: ..... hey dummy the barrel is 2 inches lower than the scope................ :banghead: Now I am a bit upset, not at the cost of a new one but in the fact that I shot it in the first place...... When we are done shooting I commence to lock up the office, let me see..... turn on alarm system...... check........ turn on pepper spray.... check....... set off pepper spray..... oh noooooooooo, get out of office!!!!!! close door and lock it!!!!!!!!!........ at this point some very interesting adjectives came out of my mouth as I proceeded to text Geybeard about my evenings accomplishments................. fast forward to Saturday morning.... spend 4 hours cleaning office................ moral of the story is that if you even think your day is not gong right just stay home and hang out with the dogs..............
Salty1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: an expensive mistake...........

Post by C-dub »

Rough day. Sorry about that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Don't feel like the lone ranger, I've had days like that and worse!! It happens to everyone!

:lol:: :lol::
TSRA Life Memeber

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

There are times when it is considered rude and impolite to laugh at a man's misfortunes.

Fortunately, this is not one of those times "rlol"
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

One day you'll look back at this and then you'll smile, then you'll chuckle and then laugh out loud while shaking your head. Trust me, one day that will happen.
Until then we'll do it for you!
"rlol" "rlol"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

OldCannon wrote:There are times when it is considered rude and impolite to laugh at a man's misfortunes.

Fortunately, this is not one of those times "rlol"
:smilelol5:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

All right. I do feel sorry for Salty1, but I am also laughing just a little at the pepper spray activation. Sorry Salty1. :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Salty1 wrote: . . . just stay home and hang out with the dogs..............
So I was home hanging out with the dogs and went and got a glass of water. On my way back into the family room I stopped on the "scat mat" that we have to use to keep the dogs out of the living room. The shock caused me to drop my water glass, which shattered right at my feet causing: A) MORE SHOCKS!, B) me to fall on my butt, C) MORE SHOCKS!!, D) Cuts in butt from broken glass with attendant trip to hospital for stitches, and E) an expensive trip to the vet because I fell on my wife's little male dog, the reason we have to have a scat mat in the first place because he marks everything and usually misses, eh was determined to have soft tissue damage.

So I decided to just stay in bed, but my 80 pound Lab was missing me, so my wife let her into the bedroom and she jumped up on the bed, planting her right front paw, full force, in the most painful location, resulting in another trip to the hospital for me, this time in the ambulance because I couldn't walk at all, unlike when my butt was cut and I got blood all over the cloth back seat of my wife's car because she wouldn't drive my truck with the vinyl seats, and another trip to the vet because my Lab jumped into the bedside table and broke the lamp cutting her paw.

Some days are diamonds, others are stone.

:reddevil
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Here's a bad day that I had on October 6, 1999.

After my father had flown down to Houston for a 91st Army Division reunion,
he and I met there. We then visited my son in Nacogdoches, before returning to Plano
to visit for a few more days.

That morning I had to drop him at Love Field, Dallas for his flight home.
I knew it would be a long time before we got together again. :-(

While returning home to Plano, one block - ONE BLOCK, 3 houses away from my home, a Plano PD motorcycle
officer was running a speed trap and popped me for 42 in a 30. I had lived in that
house for 4 years and had NEVER seen speed traps in my neighborhood. This was about 630 AM.

After stewing at the house for a while, I went in to work at 900 AM - and was laid off
due to no more contract projects.

I drove home to get my resume squared away. After being home for an hour or two,
I went out to the driveway to take my car to run some errands. One of my tires was flat
as a pancake and was unfixable.

That was some "bad karma" day!!

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Many years ago when I bought my PACT chrono the guy tried to sell me an extra set of sensors for the skyscreens. I politely declined thinking only an idiot would shoot their skyscreens. Three weeks later, I order two sets. :banghead:

Chas.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

A friend of mine did something similar except it was not the chronograph, it was the cab of his Chevy pickup that he penetrated.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

anygunanywhere wrote:A friend of mine did something similar except it was not the chronograph, it was the cab of his Chevy pickup that he penetrated.

Anygunanywhere
Did the speedometer register bullet velocity? :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

stroo

Post by stroo »

A friend of mine used to say: Some days you get the elevator; some days you get the shaft.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

No big deal Salty1, you just barely nicked it :fire
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I shot a .44 magnum sized hole in my bed room ceiling with an "unloaded" gun once. When I went to tell my wife about it when she pulled into the driveway, she looked at my face and said "Did you lose your job?" She was actually relieved that it was only a hole in the ceiling.

This past Monday, I got a flat tire. My tires were all pretty worn, so I decided to just buy another set.

$800.

While I'm there, my wife calls to tell me that our AC isn't working......and some of the lights won't turn on. Turns out they're not related. We have simultaneous but unrelated electrical problems AND a siezed up HVAC compressor.

$95 for the electrician. $6,753 for a brand new 5 ton 16 SEER heating/cooling system.

It's been a really expensive couple of days......but at least there were no mistakes made.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Never Again!!”