Surprise Party

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 2

Surprise Party

Post by Katygunnut »

This Friday was my 12 year old's birthday party, and I had arranged for us to go to the house of a friend of mine where she had baked a cake and had some presents. It wasn't really a big party since it was only 5 people in total - me, my 2 girls, my friend and her 4 year old son.

We got to the house just after dark, and as we were coming into the driveway, my youngest daughter remarked that someone in the house had just turned off all the lights. Sure enough, there were zero lights on in the house even though my friend's only vehicle was sitting in the driveway. Her empty garbage can was still at the street, so I told my girls to wait in the locked car while I took the garbage can back to the detached garage. While back there, I looked through the back windows, but saw only darkness.

I left the girls in the car, and went back around the front of the house. She always locks the door, but I thought I would try that anyway before knocking. Sure enough the door was wide open. I opened it, put one foot inside the house, one outside and had my Kahr PM9 out of it's holster and in my right hand. Her house is laid out such that when you come in, there is a wall immediately to your left, and a dining room to your right that also wraps around behind you. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of white, turned, and saw my friend standing there with her finger over her mouth, and pointing to her right, toward the office which then connects to the kitchen and living room area. To say that I was in condition red at this point is an understatement.

She saw the gun in my hand, and immediately held her hands up and told me that everything was fine. Apparently her 4 year old son wanted to have a "surprise" party for my 12 year old (she was pointing in his direction). After my heart stopped racing, I reholstered, told her that it was a really bad idea to throw a surprise party without telling me, and then went to get my girls from the car.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Surprise Party

Post by Dave2 »

Katygunnut wrote:After my heart stopped racing, I reholstered, told her that it was a really bad idea to throw a surprise party without telling me, and then went to get my girls from the car.
I'm quite certain that all my good friends know me well enough to know not to throw me a "lights-out" surprise party, but this scenario is something I'll worry about if I ever have a wife & kids.

Oh, and good job not shooting anyone :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Wonder what wouldda happened if you had called police and they cleared the house ... :shock: :eek6 The surprisers would become surprisees

I have no "regular" cell phone, but if I did, I'd call the house and see who answered. I used to have an answering machine which allowed me to listen to any sound at home when I called my home number.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

RPB wrote:Wonder what wouldda happened if you had called police and they cleared the house ... :shock: :eek6 The surprisers would become surprisees

I have no "regular" cell phone, but if I did, I'd call the house and see who answered. I used to have an answering machine which allowed me to listen to any sound at home when I called my home number.
In retrospect, I should have driven a couple blocks away and then called her cell, and followed up with a call to the police if there was no answer. It was scary when I saw her out of the corner of my eye like that. If she had yelled "surprise" and thrown on the lights right then, bad things could very well have happened.

leftyonly

Post by leftyonly »

Thought of this when I read your story...Glad to hear you had a good outcome!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Guess you can't embed video here?)

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

leftyonly wrote:Thought of this when I read your story...Glad to hear you had a good outcome!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Guess you can't embed video here?)
Normally, just remove the www.
hit quote on my post to see
They did disable embedding on the Youtube site for that particular video though
it's from Reno 911 TV show comedy channel
[youtube][/youtube]
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Katygunnut wrote:
RPB wrote:Wonder what wouldda happened if you had called police and they cleared the house ... :shock: :eek6 The surprisers would become surprisees

In retrospect, I should have driven a couple blocks away and then called her cell, and followed up with a call to the police if there was no answer. It was scary when I saw her out of the corner of my eye like that. If she had yelled "surprise" and thrown on the lights right then, bad things could very well have happened.
:iagree: There are very few houses that I would enter an unlocked door.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Never Again!!”