A reminder of the idiots in our lives

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
exbellicus
Posts in topic: 2

A reminder of the idiots in our lives

Post by exbellicus »

Well today, my gun was sitting next to me on my desk. This is where I typically keep it while at home working at my computer and not wearing shorts/pants with a belt. (No kids, wife is well gun educated.)

So my brother and sister in law came over today.. In the past, he's mentioned interest in purchasing a firearm for home defense, shooting, etc. I've showed him my guns a couple times in the past. As always, I unload and verify it's clear before I hand it to ANYONE. He's also been to the range with another family member. So I'm sitting here at my desk and the BIL walks over from behind me and picks up my gun. I stop him, take the gun back, drop the mag and clear the chamber, rack the slide a couple times, and hand it back to him. In astonishment he says, 'oh was it loaded?' My response....'yes, of course.' He says 'and the safety wasn't on?' I say 'no, it doesn't have one.'

What does he say? 'Wow! I was about to point it at my head and pull the trigger as a joke!'

No joke. My brother in law was a few seconds away from blowing his head off in front of my wife and his wife.

Just a quick reminder there's some real MORONS hanging around! Definitely some lessons learned on my end about keeping a better watch on my firearm and not making assumptions about common sense gun safety.

tiviti
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A reminder of the idiots in our lives

Post by tiviti »

:banghead: Makes me glad I live alone.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I'm glad it's just my wife, me, and three cats. My wife knows all of the guns are always loaded. The cats don't have opposable thumbs, so I don't worry about them too much.
NRA lifetime member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

KC5AV wrote:I'm glad it's just my wife, me, and three cats. My wife knows all of the guns are always loaded. The cats don't have opposable thumbs, so I don't worry about them too much.
My niece knows all my guns are always loaded.
She saw dropping a mag does not clear a chamber.
She knows no gun has a 100% reliable "safety" other than her finger and a trigger.
Whether they are loaded or not, they are always loaded.... but, they are always loaded.
She knows not to muzzle sweep anything she does not want destroyed or dead
She's 17 now and won't pick up any of my guns.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

exbellicus wrote: not making assumptions about common sense gun safety.
Why is "Common" sense so uncommon? :headscratch :banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

As the saying goes: You can't pick your family... :grumble
:lol::
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

RoyGBiv wrote:
You're puttin' me on! There's no such thing!
exbellicus wrote: 'Wow! I was about to point it at my head and pull the trigger as a joke!'[/b]
:drool:

And I bet you anything that the sister-in-law would've blamed you, (tried to)sued you, the firearms manufacturer, the ammo manufacturer, God, King Arthur, Frito the Bandito, and Tony the Tiger, to boot. :banghead:

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasGal »

:shock: Better not give him the good steak knives at Thanksgiving. He may not realize they are actually sharp. :roll:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

TexasGal wrote::shock: Better not give him the good steak knives at Thanksgiving. He may not realize they are actually sharp. :roll:
"rlol"

Thanks, OldGringo, for the laugh. I know this is a serious topic, but that one was really good.

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

I've had my share of dealings with people who are otherwise smart, but turn into complete buffoons when they pick up a gun. Luckily I've managed to convert a few.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

MadMonkey wrote:I've had my share of dealings with people who are otherwise smart, but turn into complete buffoons when they pick up a gun. Luckily I've managed to convert a few.
Your efforts are appreciated, if no one has told you that before. We should all do what we can to "preach" firearms safety; a LOT of folks just never get exposed to firearms PROPERLY and it shows.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

exbellicus wrote:Well today, my gun was sitting next to me on my desk. This is where I typically keep it while at home working at my computer and not wearing shorts/pants with a belt. (No kids, wife is well gun educated.)

So my brother and sister in law came over today.. In the past, he's mentioned interest in purchasing a firearm for home defense, shooting, etc. I've showed him my guns a couple times in the past. As always, I unload and verify it's clear before I hand it to ANYONE. He's also been to the range with another family member. So I'm sitting here at my desk and the BIL walks over from behind me and picks up my gun. I stop him, take the gun back, drop the mag and clear the chamber, rack the slide a couple times, and hand it back to him. In astonishment he says, 'oh was it loaded?' My response....'yes, of course.' He says 'and the safety wasn't on?' I say 'no, it doesn't have one.'

What does he say? 'Wow! I was about to point it at my head and pull the trigger as a joke!'

No joke. My brother in law was a few seconds away from blowing his head off in front of my wife and his wife.

Just a quick reminder there's some real MORONS hanging around! Definitely some lessons learned on my end about keeping a better watch on my firearm and not making assumptions about common sense gun safety.
What'd his wife say?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RHenriksen »

Absolutely astonishing. It's very, very rare that I'll leave a pistol out & about like that (but it *does* happen at times. Thanks for sharing, it's good to get a reminder that 'they walk among us'
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Heartland Patriot wrote:
TexasGal wrote::shock: Better not give him the good steak knives at Thanksgiving. He may not realize they are actually sharp. :roll:
"rlol"

Thanks, OldGringo, for the laugh. I know this is a serious topic, but that one was really good.
:headscratch You mean TexasGal?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

RoyGBiv wrote:
I'm thinking it is merely ignorance about a particular subject. So many people never receive even a basic education about firearms. A basic understanding is about all I got as a kid and got to go shooting about once every 2-3 years. The two most important things and just about all I knew; the gun is always unloaded until checked at least twice and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Everything else I know about guns, not too much BTW, I've learned in the last 11 years since purchasing my first gun in 2001.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Never Again!!”