First time carrying, already avoiding people like the plague

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton, Keith B

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby LSUTiger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:30 pm

What is still a little awkward is when I hug a lady - I know they realize there is something larger than a cell phone there but nobody has commented as yet.[/quote]

Lord, please give me the will power to resist making any obscene comments. :biggrinjester: "rlol"
Chance favors the prepared.
User avatar
LSUTiger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby T-box » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm

LSUTiger wrote:What is still a little awkward is when I hug a lady - I know they realize there is something larger than a cell phone there but nobody has commented as yet.


Lord, please give me the will power to resist making any obscene comments. :biggrinjester: "rlol"[/quote]

Haven't actually had that issue yet, although if I feel like a hug might point out that I'm carrying I could always go for a side hug or something.
T-box
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 am

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby RoyGBiv » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 am

So far the only time I've exposed my gun was while talking to one of my kids.... I needed to wipe some fingerprints from my glasses, grabbed the edge of my sweater, used that to wipe my glasses. Forgot to consider the gun in my waistband. Kids eyes got pretty big. Lesson learned. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek
User avatar
RoyGBiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby DLBConductor » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:38 pm

After a while, concealed carrying will become second nature. Just relax - except for other CHLers, no one will probably even notice that you are carrying.

Last week, just after avoiding an attempted car jacking, my adrenaline was running pretty high. I immediately drove on to the Post Office to mail Christmas packages for my wife. I was standing in line when I suddenly thought, "I STILL HAVE MY GUN IN MY POCKET." Since it was well concealed, I went ahead, stood in line, and mailed my packages, while sweating bullets the whole time. I then got out of there in a hurry without incident. My mind had been too preoccupied with the carjacking attempt to remember to disarm before going into the Post Office.

After a while, instead of feeling self-conscious about carrying, you will begin to feel naked without a gun. You will be more anxious and more uncomfortable when you don't have a gun on your side.

Just keep carrying 24/7 and stay safe.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]
DLBConductor
Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby T-box » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:56 pm

DLBConductor wrote:After a while, concealed carrying will become second nature. Just relax - except for other CHLers, no one will probably even notice that you are carrying.

Last week, just after avoiding an attempted car jacking, my adrenaline was running pretty high. I immediately drove on to the Post Office to mail Christmas packages for my wife. I was standing in line when I suddenly thought, "I STILL HAVE MY GUN IN MY POCKET." Since it was well concealed, I went ahead, stood in line, and mailed my packages, while sweating bullets the whole time. I then got out of there in a hurry without incident. My mind had been too preoccupied with the carjacking attempt to remember to disarm before going into the Post Office.

After a while, instead of feeling self-conscious about carrying, you will begin to feel naked without a gun. You will be more anxious and more uncomfortable when you don't have a gun on your side.

Just keep carrying 24/7 and stay safe.


It's been a little over a month now, and I do feel more comfortable with it. I haven't really had a problem carrying into a place that I shouldn't, most of the stores around my area don't even bother with gun-buster signs. I am very happy with my decision, money well spent.
T-box
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 am

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby GeronimoAg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 pm

DLBConductor wrote:After a while, instead of feeling self-conscious about carrying, you will begin to feel naked without a gun. You will be more anxious and more uncomfortable when you don't have a gun on your side.


:iagree: I went to A LOT of Christmas parties last weekend. I knew they would involve more than a few adult beverages, so I left the gun at the house. Felt naked the entire time and absolutely hated when the wife made us stop at the gas station to fill up the tank. :???:
GeronimoAg
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:17 am

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby DLBConductor » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:56 am

GeronimoAg wrote:
DLBConductor wrote:After a while, instead of feeling self-conscious about carrying, you will begin to feel naked without a gun. You will be more anxious and more uncomfortable when you don't have a gun on your side.


:iagree: I went to A LOT of Christmas parties last weekend. I knew they would involve more than a few adult beverages, so I left the gun at the house. Felt naked the entire time and absolutely hated when the wife made us stop at the gas station to fill up the tank. :???:


For five years, I have been taking medications for arthritis that force me to be an absolute teetotaler, so drinking and carrying is not an issue for me. I am now everyone's choice as the designated driver. :???: I commend you for not carrying when you know you will be drinking. :thumbs2: I agree that your decision left you a little more vulnerable stopping at the gas station. I hate that all of us have had to change our lifestyles because of the BGs in the world but once your eyes are opened to the dangers of the real world, there is no going back.

Yesterday, I had to run an errand to pick up a prescription for my wife at a pharmacy with a parking lot that always causes me to be on high alert. I have yet to convince her to change to my pharmacy which is much safer and closer to our house. She likes the "shopping" in the other pharmacy. In a hurry, I was three miles down the road when I realized that my EDC was on the kitchen counter and never made it to my pocket. I debated all of three seconds before returning home to get my XD-S. My EDC has become my "Linus Blanket." "Never Leave Home Without It!"

To the OP: I am glad that you have quickly become at ease carrying your handgun. Congratulations. If you ever need your gun, you will be really glad you have it on you.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]
DLBConductor
Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby x007x » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:15 am

When I would be in public with my girlfriend walking. She would put her hand around my waist and sometimes pull on my shirt, and I would have to tap her hand to let go. Lol this has not happened in a long time, but now I wear an ankle holster for my Glock 27.. Depending when and where I am at ill carry my Glock 19 too.
-CHL-
-NRA-
User avatar
x007x
Senior Member
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Houston-Tx

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby T-box » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:39 am

x007x wrote:When I would be in public with my girlfriend walking. She would put her hand around my waist and sometimes pull on my shirt, and I would have to tap her hand to let go. Lol this has not happened in a long time, but now I wear an ankle holster for my Glock 27.. Depending when and where I am at ill carry my Glock 19 too.


Do you prefer having the ankle holster to where you were carrying before?
T-box
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 am

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby x007x » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 pm

I actually got the ankle holster for when I a, at work, because it feels natural. Like nothing is on you leg. Nah, I would prefer a hip holster. Faster access. BlackHawk SERPA CQC Holster w/ Carbon Fiber Finish
Is the holsters I really like. I am a bigger go so I also got the ankle so my waist line is free of stuff, but I also keep my magazine carrying pouch with me.
-CHL-
-NRA-
User avatar
x007x
Senior Member
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Houston-Tx

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby Cynful1958 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 am

I love reading your concerns about carrying, I thought it was just a girl thing. I thought guys were just born comfortable with carrying.
NRA 12/12/2012
CHL Application 1/14/2013
Fingerprints 1/28/2013
CHL Class 2/23/2013
Cynful1958
Junior Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby RogueUSMC » Mon May 06, 2013 12:24 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:So far the only time I've exposed my gun was while talking to one of my kids.... I needed to wipe some fingerprints from my glasses, grabbed the edge of my sweater, used that to wipe my glasses. Forgot to consider the gun in my waistband. Kids eyes got pretty big. Lesson learned. :lol:

Your kids don't know you carry?...how old are they?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
RogueUSMC
Senior Member
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby tornado » Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm not the one you asked, but I'll chime in -- my teenager knows, but my elementary-aged kids don't. They're blabbermouths.
User avatar
tornado
Senior Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:00 pm
Location: Pflugerville

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby DEB » Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I have been carrying for quite a spell now, a full size 1911A1 with a hip holster. The other day I was at a Chinese Buffet and some child pulled up on my shirt and exposed my firearm. The mother just said, "Oh she is just seeking attention". No one seemed to notice or probably care, it truly was surreal...
DEB
Senior Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Kempner, Texas

Re: First time carrying, already avoiding people like the pl

Postby Bgriff1974 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm

There is a lot of good advise on this page. I would only say that the longer you carry the more comfortable you will become doing so. I have changed guns, holsters, positions, as will you over time until you find the method that works best. I have been carrying for over 7.years and I still make sure it's concealed occasionally while out and about. The important thing is that you are carrying the rest will come with experience.. Congratulations...
Bgriff1974
Junior Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:18 am

PreviousNext

Return to Never Again!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests