Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton, Keith B

Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby rp_photo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

I've been carrying regularly since 3/2011, and so far have forgotten to take my wallet twice in the past few weeks. I've also done it a few times pre-CHL, but never twice over such a short period of time.

Since I pocket carry, there is probably some residual instinct to put only one large object in my pockets which the gun satisfies should it be placed first.

Similarly, I've forgotten the gun a few times.

I carry my phone in a small belt-attached camera case, which makes it a separate routine and less likely to confused with the other items.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"
rp_photo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby CoffeeNut » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 pm

I've forgotten my wallet a few time pre-CHL but now that I carry I tend to place my gun on top of my wallet at night so when i wake up its right there to grab along with the wallet. Even if you put yours in a safe try putting the wallet in with it as I doubt you'll forget your wallet and your gun :txflag:

Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.
EDC: Sig Sauer P238/ Taurus 709 Slim
NRA Member
Regular Guy
CoffeeNut
Senior Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I keep photos of my DL and CHL on my phone as backup.

I know it does not satisfy the strict legal requirement, but for the 99% routine LEO encounter, they should suffice and certainly couldn't hurt.
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
User avatar
Jumping Frog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4366
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Klein, TX (Houston NW suburb)

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby Dragonfighter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Just got back from a birthday celebration at the in-laws. A full day at church, driving over and sitting around nicely armed. I go to slip the $10 bills (at adult birthdays we all give cards and $10) that I realized I didn't have my wallet. I have had it happen once before and I got kind of sick to my stomach, but since then the penalty has been removed for not displaying the CHL and since I have my numbers memorized, I wsn't to worried. All's well that ends well but, for a while at least, I will be more diligent.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
User avatar
Dragonfighter
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby PUCKER » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:55 pm

CoffeeNut wrote:Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.


:iagree: What I do too. :tiphat:
User avatar
PUCKER
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Grapevine, TX

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby zero4o3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm

CoffeeNut wrote:I've forgotten my wallet a few time pre-CHL but now that I carry I tend to place my gun on top of my wallet at night so when i wake up its right there to grab along with the wallet. Even if you put yours in a safe try putting the wallet in with it as I doubt you'll forget your wallet and your gun :txflag:

Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.


:iagree:

I have more then gun I carry on a regular basis, but I purchased a little valet tray that I set my wallet / keys / everything else I keep in my pockets day to day and my p238 sets on it also. this way I either pick up the as I leave or remember I need to go grab my 239.

I also have developed the tap habit interestingly enough out of the need to keep up with my ID badge for work after a few times of getting all the way to work with out it only to turn around and drive back
Pasadena, TX

Sig Mosquito
Sig p226 9mm
Sig P239 .40
Sig P238
zero4o3
Senior Member
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby n5wmk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Jumping Frog wrote:I keep photos of my DL and CHL on my phone as backup.


Good idea!

:tiphat:
EDC XDS .45

USAF 1972-1980
User avatar
n5wmk
Member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm
Location: Lucas, TX

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby Diz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Also keep a photo of insurance card and hunt/fish license on cell phone. :iagree:
Diz
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Kemah, TX

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby stevie_d_64 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 pm

If I had a dollar for everytim...Ohhh, never mind... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!
User avatar
stevie_d_64
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7550
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:17 pm
Location: Houston, Texas 77089

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby erick619 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm

PUCKER wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.


:iagree: What I do too. :tiphat:


+1.

Pistol IWB right hip; phone and knife in front right pocket; wallet and knife on back right pocket; cigs, lighter, and flashlight in front left pocket; keys back left pocket; and spare mag left hip.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers)
User avatar
erick619
Member
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby Ericstac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 am

Lol, did this yesterday. Ran to the bank with my XDS on my hip and left my wallet on my desk. Fortunately my banker knows me and I was able to do my transaction without my ID. It didn't even dawn on me that I was illegal since I didn't have my chl on me, my gun is just a part of me and I don't really think about it anymore.
Ericstac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 am
Location: Fort Bend Co.

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 pm

That's why God invented and issued pants pockets...lol. If one always has their wallet in their pocket (with proper ID's, etc.), then forgetting a wallet would never be an issue... Along with that, "don't forget one's gun!"

:fire :patriot:
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle
User avatar
Running Arrow Bill
Member
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:58 pm
Location: Wellington, TX

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby JALLEN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Wait 'til you guys get old........ "rlol"
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.
User avatar
JALLEN
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm
Location: Comal County

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby texanjoker » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:51 am

I too have forgotten my wallet on occasion. Not much you can do about it. For CHL holders your driver's license will confirm if you have a CHL. Not the required proof, but a way for the LE to verify.
User avatar
texanjoker
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:22 am

texanjoker wrote:I too have forgotten my wallet on occasion. Not much you can do about it. For CHL holders your driver's license will confirm if you have a CHL. Not the required proof, but a way for the LE to verify.

Nice thought. But seeing as they sit next together in my wallet, if I do not have my CHL then I do not have my DL, and vice-versa. "rlol"
-Bob . . . NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, TFC member, JFPO member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots.
User avatar
Jumping Frog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4366
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am
Location: Klein, TX (Houston NW suburb)

Next

Return to Never Again!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests