Saw my first one tonight.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Saw my first one tonight.

Post by Abraham »

anygunanywhere,

Stop it - I'm laughing too hard for me ole ticker...

However, some of us seem to think a CHL provides more authority than it does...sigh.

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LAYGO »

anygunanywhere wrote:I would opt for the High Visibility Vest in Neon Green the has "Texas CHL Holder" in reflective letters on the front and back instead of the sash. They are a tad more manly.

Anygunanywhere
See, I think this is the really the root of the problem. It's NOT that the sash is a bad idea, it's seen as "less manly" because the only common current use is of pageant participants.

Logic & common sense seems to me to dictate that if it helps, utilize it, regardless of the implications of your "manliness". Set aside your ego for a moment.

For the same reason, I don't really care what people think because I don't drink beer or straight hard alcohol. I drink what I like the taste of, I don't care if it has a piece of fruit and an umbrella on it.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

Abraham wrote:LAYGO

You're laying down a bit of the old tongue in cheek, right?
I'm playing devil's advocate and honestly seeking other's plans for how they intend to not be shot post lethal force incident. I haven't heard a reasonable opposition to the banner (aka sash) yet. The badge as discussed is missed by police & criminals alike.

I do not mean to infer that the banner grants me any authority. Just make it so I'm not targeted by another armed civilian/undercover.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Update: Holders of CHLs aren't LEOs.

Nor are they reserve police officers.

Nor are they mandated to step up to the plate (if you will) when things go awry - unless they're personally, immediately threatened or their loved ones or friends are. However , if when they step up and aren't identified as good guys they're subject to being thought of as bad guys - so by all means wear your cape or sash or tiara.

Or, just remember that a CHL isn't more than an O.K. to protect yourself or loved ones. If you go beyond that, good luck...you're not an LEO.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

So the "CHL badge" is a real thing? I thought that was just an internet joke amongst ourselves. O my.
How would one keep from busting up laughing if encountering such?

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

Abraham wrote:Update: Holders of CHLs aren't LEOs.

Nor are they reserve police officers.

Nor are they mandated to step up to the plate (if you will) when things go awry - unless they're personally, immediately threatened or their loved ones or friends are. However , if when they step up and aren't identified as good guys they're subject to being thought of as bad guys - so by all means wear your cape or sash or tiara.

Or, just remember that a CHL isn't more than an O.K. to protect yourself or loved ones. If you go beyond that, good luck...you're not an LEO.
Where are we miscommunicating? Let me reiterate:

I do not mean to infer that the banner (or badge for that matter) grants me any authority. I just want to make sure I'm not targeted by another armed civilian/undercover.

If I'm going to employ my weapon in what I hope would be within my justified use of lethal force, I want to make sure no one mistakes me for a bad guy.

I will agree that CHL carriers are NOT mandated to step up, but if I'm not mistaken, the mall shooter in the northwest was stopped last year by a CHL carrier who did decide to step up.
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 3dfxMM »

Is there anything special about the sash or badge that would make a LEO or another CHL think they should believe that it means the person is a good guy?

The mall shooting was allegedly stopped by a CHL carrier. I don't remember reading anything that did more than give people's impressions that was what stopped the guy.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

3dfxMM wrote:Is there anything special about the sash or badge that would make a LEO or another CHL think they should believe that it means the person is a good guy?

The mall shooting was allegedly stopped by a CHL carrier. I don't remember reading anything that did more than give people's impressions that was what stopped the guy.
Hey! Guys!

The sash is a made up satire emphasizing the lunacy of carrying a CHL badge. Yes, there are CHL badges, and yes, they have been spotted by some of us alert to the ridiculousness of their existence.

Another satirical object is the CHL tiara to go along with the sash.

This thread is about a member spotting a CHL badge in the open in public.

I doubt if anyone here short of LAYGO is advocating wearing a sash and he is supposedly being a devil's advocate.

I do not think that there is anyone here openly advocating the use of a CHL badge, sash, tiara.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

I realize all of that. I was just asking what would make anyone think that anything they could do or wear is going to make someone believe that they are one of the good guys so it is ok to ignore the gun in their hand?

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

anygunanywhere wrote:
The sash is a made up satire emphasizing the lunacy of carrying a CHL badge. Yes, there are CHL badges, and yes, they have been spotted by some of us alert to the ridiculousness of their existence.

Anygunanywhere

Sadly enough the sash is a real thing....

http://www.dsmsafety.com/ccw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Originally designed for law enforcement officers, the designers of the DSM Safety Banner thought, that the American citizens also deserved a way to immediately identify themselves if they became involved in a critical situation where uniformed officers response was imminent. No one had ever considered a safe way for legally armed citizens to identify themselves with 360 degree efficiency to responding law enforcement officers.
Laygo, ignore these guys. I currently have 4 of the sashes. I only had a red one at first but then it occurred to me what if I am involved in a shoot out while I am busting up a drug ring or armed robbery and I have a red shirt on....the arriving LEOs won't be able to see my red sash against my red shirt.

Rule one- always carry a sash.

Rule two- make sure it contrasts with your shirt.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

3dfxMM wrote:I realize all of that. I was just asking what would make anyone think that anything they could do or wear is going to make someone believe that they are one of the good guys so it is ok to ignore the gun in their hand?
We really don't read about CHL holders having issues after a shooting. I am sure they obey the responding leo's commands to the T :thumbs2: ..Zimmerman was a perfect example of that. I also believe somebody just waving a badge is going to have issues as to the public, and in this OP, IMO gives the impression one is trying to be a wanna be leo.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

steveincowtown wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Sadly enough the sash is a real thing....

http://www.dsmsafety.com/ccw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Originally designed for law enforcement officers, the designers of the DSM Safety Banner thought, that the American citizens also deserved a way to immediately identify themselves if they became involved in a critical situation where uniformed officers response was imminent. No one had ever considered a safe way for legally armed citizens to identify themselves with 360 degree efficiency to responding law enforcement officers.
Laygo, ignore these guys. I currently have 4 of the sashes. I only had a red one at first but then it occurred to me what if I am involved in a shoot out while I am busting up a drug ring or armed robbery and I have a red shirt on....the arriving LEOs won't be able to see my red sash against my red shirt.

Rule one- always carry a sash.

Rule two- make sure it contrasts with your shirt.
Can't stop "rlol". My side hurts.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Don't wear a red shirt. They get killed first.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Maybe he didn't have a Texas CHL....eh?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Do you have to step into a phone booth to put on your CHL sash?

If so, there are so few now with the preeminence of cell phones.

What's a body to do...?

Or, one could obtain a white baseball cap and with a magic marker write CHL on it in capital letters in a continuous circle yeah, yeah, that's it.

Or, have some magnetized signs with CHL printed on them and slap them on each side of your car.

Or, have CHL tattooed on your forehead, again, in large capital letters.

You're welcome.

Return to “Never Again!!”