Saw my first one tonight.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

G0C
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Saw my first one tonight.

Post by G0C »

RossA wrote:In my CHL classes, I always warn my students that if I ever catch any of them with one of those badges, I will personally hit them with a baseball bat and take their CHL away!
No wonder why some people dont learn anything from the NVDR part of class. :mrgreen:

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RossA »

LOL! During the NVDR portion, I always teach that some people are just BEGGING for violence! "rlol"
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Purplehood »

LAYGO wrote:
Abraham wrote:Update: Holders of CHLs aren't LEOs.

Nor are they reserve police officers.

Nor are they mandated to step up to the plate (if you will) when things go awry - unless they're personally, immediately threatened or their loved ones or friends are. However , if when they step up and aren't identified as good guys they're subject to being thought of as bad guys - so by all means wear your cape or sash or tiara.

Or, just remember that a CHL isn't more than an O.K. to protect yourself or loved ones. If you go beyond that, good luck...you're not an LEO.
Where are we miscommunicating? Let me reiterate:

I do not mean to infer that the banner (or badge for that matter) grants me any authority. I just want to make sure I'm not targeted by another armed civilian/undercover.

If I'm going to employ my weapon in what I hope would be within my justified use of lethal force, I want to make sure no one mistakes me for a bad guy.

I will agree that CHL carriers are NOT mandated to step up, but if I'm not mistaken, the mall shooter in the northwest was stopped last year by a CHL carrier who did decide to step up.
For me the point is you don't need or desire a badge (or anything else) in order to "step up".
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

Until DPS starts sending a badge with the plastic, I ain't touching a badge with a 10 foot pole.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Purplehood »

jmra wrote:Until DPS starts sending a badge with the plastic, I ain't touching a badge with a 10 foot pole.
Would you start wearing it at that point?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

jmra

Post by jmra »

Purplehood wrote:
jmra wrote:Until DPS starts sending a badge with the plastic, I ain't touching a badge with a 10 foot pole.
Would you start wearing it at that point?
Only if it were some kind of requirement. Otherwise, no.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I'm waiting for the first case where some prosecutor says that wearing one of those badges constitutes impersonation of a peace officer. Will be very interesting to see what happens. :headscratch

jmra

Post by jmra »

RossA wrote:I'm waiting for the first case where some prosecutor says that wearing one of those badges constitutes impersonation of a peace officer. Will be very interesting to see what happens. :headscratch
Won't happen. Wearing a CHL badge (although stupid) under current law does not constitute impersonating an officer. Now, if the guy wearing the badge represents himself as a cop then he's in trouble.
They would have a better shot going after these guys that wear shirts with "Police" and "FBI" on the back of them. These are much more common than CHL badges.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

Sportsmans Guide sells the stupid things too.
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

RossA wrote:I'm waiting for the first case where some prosecutor says that wearing one of those badges constitutes impersonation of a peace officer. Will be very interesting to see what happens. :headscratch
Don't hold your breath. They have a lot better odds prosecuting uniformed security guards.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jmra wrote:
Won't happen. Wearing a CHL badge (although stupid) under current law does not constitute impersonating an officer. Now, if the guy wearing the badge represents himself as a cop then he's in trouble.
They would have a better shot going after these guys that wear shirts with "Police" and "FBI" on the back of them. These are much more common than CHL badges.
IMO the badge and gun implies one is a peace officer. If one can see the badge then they probably can see the gun. If somebody is running around displaying this "chl" wanna be cop badge they have a serious case of "badge envy". If one wants to run around carrying a badge go to the academy and become a leo. If one goes out an intervenes in a crime while displaying said badge he is looking at a case. I've yet to encounter a CHL badge, but I have dealt with people flashing security badges to imply they are cops. Off duty leo's have been murdered during robbery because the suspect sees the badge.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

jmra wrote:

There were once a lot of things that I said would never happen.
After twenty five years of practicing law, I don't make such broad statements anymore.
Never underestimate a prosecutor with an anti-gun bias.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

A couple of years ago I went to the Dallas Gun show and there was a guy selling them. He had several people around and they were buying them. He was explaining to them that the badge was to show LEO they were the good guys so they wouldn't get shot. All I could do is walk by shaking my head and say what a bunch of tools they were.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

RPBrown wrote:A couple of years ago I went to the Dallas Gun show and there was a guy selling them. He had several people around and they were buying them. He was explaining to them that the badge was to show LEO they were the good guys so they wouldn't get shot. All I could do is walk by shaking my head and say what a bunch of tools they were.
I think your both wrong! It's to show the LEOs that they can count on you to help when they are short handed! :smilelol5:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Has anybody posted the Sierra Madre clip yet?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Return to “Never Again!!”