Saw my first one tonight.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Zoo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Saw my first one tonight.

Post by Zoo »

Russell wrote:I might have called the police and reported someone impersonating a police officer.
That sounds like a good plan if someone wearing a police uniform tells you a public street is 51% and you can't carry.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I was thinking about this. They need to make displaying those chl badges illegal if they approve open carry. The public is going to think those clowns are officers, when in fact they are not.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

texanjoker wrote:I was thinking about this. They need to make displaying those chl badges illegal if they approve open carry. The public is going to think those clowns are officers, when in fact they are not.
Here's a better idea: Let's just enforce the laws regarding impersonating a peace officer (TPC 37.11). No need for new laws at all.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

RottenApple wrote:
texanjoker wrote:I was thinking about this. They need to make displaying those chl badges illegal if they approve open carry. The public is going to think those clowns are officers, when in fact they are not.
Here's a better idea: Let's just enforce the laws regarding impersonating a peace officer (TPC 37.11). No need for new laws at all.
Nope that won't work. Just wearing the badge with the gun is not impersonating, however it is clearly done to make one look like a wanna be LEO. IMO they need to stipulate one cannot do that with open carry. My opinion, but hey my vote counts as well.

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Post by C-dub »

texanjoker wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
Nope that won't work. Just wearing the badge with the gun is not impersonating, however it is clearly done to make one look like a wanna be LEO. IMO they need to stipulate one cannot do that with open carry. My opinion, but hey my vote counts as well.
It's okay. They never check with me first either.

I'm not sure I'm on board with the banning of these badges. Sure, they are ridiculous, but as TexanJoker says, just wearing one is not impersonating an officer. I work out (some) and am in decent shape and I get my hair cut the way I do because I like it. It's low maintenance and hides the grey. Some people mistake me for a LEO or Marine. Ha, at my age? Well, that's kinda cool, but if they ask I do say, No. Am I impersonating a LEO? I don't want to be a LEO. I like my indoor job where no one is trying to kill me. Should people not be allowed to look like a LEO too? Besides, if they are banned, we won't be able to make fun of them any more.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

C-dub wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
RottenApple wrote:
It's okay. They never check with me first either.

I'm not sure I'm on board with the banning of these badges. Sure, they are ridiculous, but as TexanJoker says, just wearing one is not impersonating an officer. I work out (some) and am in decent shape and I get my hair cut the way I do because I like it. It's low maintenance and hides the grey. Some people mistake me for a LEO or Marine. Ha, at my age? Well, that's kinda cool, but if they ask I do say, No. Am I impersonating a LEO? I don't want to be a LEO. I like my indoor job where no one is trying to kill me. Should people not be allowed to look like a LEO too? Besides, if they are banned, we won't be able to make fun of them any more.
True dat :iagree:

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LAYGO »

All this still makes me wonder what's your plan to NOT get shot by say another CHL or off duty/undercover?

Sure the badges & saches are silly, but when IT hits the fan, would it help or hurt?
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Abraham »

There's a reason CHL badges are ridiculed...

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

LAYGO wrote:All this still makes me wonder what's your plan to NOT get shot by say another CHL or off duty/undercover?

Sure the badges & saches are silly, but when IT hits the fan, would it help or hurt?
I dont see how it will help. Having worked plain clothes all the crooks i took down at gunpoint always said they never saw my badge, just saw the gun.

apostate

Post by apostate »

LAYGO wrote:All this still makes me wonder what's your plan to NOT get shot by say another CHL or off duty/undercover?
I have a plan but won't discuss the details in a public forum. It doesn't involve a badge (or sash or tiara) but if you want to know more than that, you'll have to ask me in person.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

texanjoker wrote:

I dont see how it will help. Having worked plain clothes all the crooks i took down at gunpoint always said they never saw my badge, just saw the gun.
That's true and the phenomenon happens with LEO's too. It's a major challenge when uniformed officers come upon a scene where a LEO in plain clothes has his gun out. Research by the Force Science Institute showed that the badge is often missed, even when conspicuously displayed on the belt or a neck chain. The focus is on he gun.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LAYGO »

Excaliber wrote:
texanjoker wrote:

That's true and the phenomenon happens with LEO's too. It's a major challenge when uniformed officers come upon a scene where a LEO in plain clothes has his gun out. Research by the Force Science Institute showed that the badge is often missed, even when conspicuously displayed on the belt or a neck chain. The focus is on he gun.
Ok, silly as it sounds, it seems then the sash would be ideal! Easily visible, can be spotted in low light, no one will be wearing anything like it, so unmistakable (unless you're leading a platoon around base or at a school crossing or picking up garbage). The concept is silly, but the logic behind it sound. So, where's the harm? It isn't a badge that might give the bearer a false sense of authority and keeps you safe(r). Seems like it's win win to me.

So like the discussion of "do you carry one in the pipe?", how many actually DO have the sash, but say they don't? ;)

Devil's advocate here.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Abraham »

LAYGO

You're laying down a bit of the old tongue in cheek, right?

If not, perhaps the laughter created by someone wearing a CHL sash could deescalate a lethal situation as both bad guys and good guys would drop their weapons to roll around on the ground holding their sides from incapacitating laughter.

An improvement on the sash idea would be to add a 10' whip antenna like device with an attached CHL badge banner. No one could miss it and it's good intention.

Hey, couldn't hurt...

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

I would opt for the High Visibility Vest in Neon Green the has "Texas CHL Holder" in reflective letters on the front and back instead of the sash. They are a tad more manly.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Never Again!!”