I hope never again.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 6

I hope never again.

Post by longtooth »

Went to the gun show today in Passidena. Got a new holster. Out to the truck & returned. The officers at the door wanted to see it again. I showed & they passed me on. I started to reholster & MISSED MY HOLSTER. Kimber compac hit the floor barrel down. :oops: Next trip to the truck I checked everything I could. Nothing visible. Slide locked open w/ empty mag. All left to do is check it at the range. Got home went straight there & all is well. :roll: Never do that again I sure hope.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

That sounds embarassing. Glad all turned out well and the only thing damaged is your ego.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Ouch, Longtooth!

Even though I have girth issues, I can still see my holster to make sure I'm doing it right. When reholstering my duty weapon (in a duty holster) for qualification, I holster by feel while keeping my eye on the target, then take a glance before releasing my grip.

When practicing with my off-duty rig, I always have to glance down first, mostly because I have to clear my cover garment out of the way. Then I re-holster by feel, using my weak hand to guide. Then, because it's not a retention holster, I take a glance down to make sure it's really seated.

Kevin

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Oh man, my heart would have skipped a couple beats on that one. Especially if it was on concrete. :shock:

That's one advantage of a Kydex holster. The gun "snaps" into place. Of course I like leather better myself but you get my point.

Topic author
longtooth

Confession time

Post by longtooth »

Yes ego damage a little but it grows back. Probably the worse real damage was from the possible thoughts of the 3 LEO's at the table, even though they did not say anything. (2 Pasadena PD & one Deputy Sheriff). "CHL holder cant even get it in the holster. :roll: Yep, we are the only 3 in the room quallified to have a weapon." The lesson that MUST be learned is that any mistake from a CHL holder that is "PUBLIC" does more damage to our cause than 10,000 that are not public. My son & son-in-law both know my safety record & my focus on any task at hand. That will heal. Depending on the attitude of the officers, that may last forever. Sure am glad an anti did not see it. :oops: :oops: :oops: Major.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baytown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Baytown »

Don't worry about what the LEO's thought. I have seen some do the same and worse.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Baytown wrote:Don't worry about what the LEO's thought. I have seen some do the same and worse.

Glenn
I wonder just how many mirrors and lockers have been shot in squad rooms, during "quick draw" practice of course!

Chas.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Or A/C units when they kick on next to the officer when he is responding to an alarm call, or bathroom stall doors from someone dropping their pants to dump and the hammer of their BUG gun hits the floor and sets off the rimfire round it is sitting on, or tables at the cleaning tables at the range, or through the restroom wall at the range, need I continue?

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Baytown wrote:need I continue?
Haha yeah - please do. I could use the laughs.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
longtooth

Thanks guys

Post by longtooth »

Yes I kow that LE has some embarrasing & neglegant moments also. I have shot it several times since the drop. The slide has locked open twice in the middle of a magazine. Some of you Kimber Compac 1911 experts talk to me. I am ready to have it looked at. This is like the difference between major & minor surgery. Minor surgery is on you & major is on me. The neglegent discharges in the locker room that injure no one are funny if it is them. Nothing went boom but this is serious because it is me. Any ideas on the premature lock open. The magazine was not in the gun when dropped. Can't be a problem there. I did replace the recoil spring w/ a new Wilson Combat purchased at the show.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I would start by putting the old spring back in it and trying it in its original condition.
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
longtooth

Old spring.

Post by longtooth »

Will try that in the morning. I am starting to watch for a pattern. I think it may lock open w/ only one in the mag. I am going to notice tomorrow how many & if it is the same # every time. :?: :?:

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

also try several magazines if this is all happening with the same mag. thats another " first thing to check "
Tom
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
longtooth

Mags too

Post by longtooth »

I will & I have. I don't see it in just one. Tomorrow I will take paper & pen. I will document which mag & which round. Old spring & new spring. If there is a pattern I will know it by 8:00. I will start at day light. I am real fortunate to live only 7 miles from the range where I am a member. :lol: Lots of days I am the 1st there or the last to leave. Some days both. :wink:

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

OK guys, thanks for all the info, incouragement, & help w/ the problem. (A few chuckles along the line too.) Here is the morning drill report & I think it is all good. Had one premature slide lock w/ the 1st mag tried. after that not a failure. Shot over 200 rounds. Shot slow fire, rapid fire, doubles, & triples. It seemed like the spring just needed a little using. Do recoil springs need breaking in? My other replacements have not. In reading all the fine print on the Wilson Spring package, 2 Q's came to mind. It said these were "heave duty springs" I compared them w/ my other Kimber spring. The spring wire was just noticably larger, looking real close. :?: :?: Also it said recoil springs should be replaced every 400 orunds. I read it twice. Was this a misprint or a marketing ploy? :roll: If 400 is the recomended change time there is no way most of us could keep enough springs in a wheel barrow to keep a gun loading. Looks good right now. I will still keep an eye on it for a little while. If I need more help you can be sure I will holler. Thanks, Thanks a bunch. Longtooth.

Return to “Never Again!!”