30.06 Fail x 2!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DLBConductor
Posts in topic: 3

30.06 Fail x 2!

Post by DLBConductor »

On December 11, I was involved in an attempted carjacking that, fortunately, turned out in my favor. However, in the adrenaline fueled aftermath, I went on to the local post office to mail Christmas packages for my wife. Standing in the long line, I suddenly realized that I still had my firearm in my pocket carry holster. Sweating bullets, I finished my business and got out in a hurry. I thought to myself, "THIS HAS GOT TO BE A 'NEVER AGAIN' MOMENT!

I DIDN'T LEARN MY LESSON!!! :banghead:

After being advised yesterday by my physician that my arthritis condition warranted it, I headed over today to the County Tax Assessor's Office (which happens to be in the county courthouse annex) to get my first "handicapped" placard. Standing in a long line of people, I realized that once again, I HAD A CONCEALED GUN IN MY POCKET!
:shock:

I also became aware that there was a police officer standing in the line right next next to me waiting to renew his car registration. It didn't help that I was wearing a Carhartt jacket boldly embroidered with the "Ruger Eagle" and the word "Ruger." I broke out in an actual sweat on my forehead and upper lip. I am sure I looked like a guilty felon. I kept thinking, "This would be a really stupid way to lose my gun and my CHL!!!

Ultimately, I decided "Concealed Means Concealed!" so I stayed in the line, prayed a frantic prayer of negotiation with God, and quietly finished my business. Of course, I got a new, inexperienced clerk who had to go to his supervisor several times to get the placards done. Every time the supervisor looked out of her office window to scrutinize me, I could feel a bit of crimson blush creeping up my neck. After what seemed to be an eternity, I finally had the two placards in my hand and got out of there. Sure enough, as I left the building, I saw the prominently displayed 30.06 sign posted RIGHT ON THE DOOR where I had entered the courthouse annex.
:leaving :rules:

In keeping with my frantic negotiations with God earlier today, "I PROMISE TO NEVER AGAIN IGNORE A 30.06 SIGN!"
:roll:
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

carlson1

Re: 30.06 Fail x 2!

Post by carlson1 »

After what seemed to be an eternity, I finally had the two placards in my hand and got out of there. Sure enough, as I left the building, I saw the prominently displayed 30.06 sign posted RIGHT ON THE DOOR where I had entered the courthouse annex.
If there was no "Court" or "Jails" in the Annex the 30.06 means absolutely nothing.

Post Office different story, but I have heard so much about the Post Office I do not know where to begin.

Topic author
DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

carlson1 wrote:
After what seemed to be an eternity, I finally had the two placards in my hand and got out of there. Sure enough, as I left the building, I saw the prominently displayed 30.06 sign posted RIGHT ON THE DOOR where I had entered the courthouse annex.
If there was no "Court" or "Jails" in the Annex the 30.06 means absolutely nothing.

Post Office different story, but I have heard so much about the Post Office I do not know where to begin.
Unfortunately, there are courts in the annex. It is a valid 30.06.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

DLBConductor wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Yea that would have been a bad LEO contact.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

DLBConductor wrote:
30.06 sign posted RIGHT ON THE DOOR where I had entered the courthouse annex.
1) If there's a Court in the Courthouse annex, no 30.06 sign is necessary, it is off limits whether there's a sign or not
2) Cities, Counties really shouldn't post 30.06 signs except when a governmental meeting is in progress, if they desire to at that time, ( but imho, should post a sign " Court inside" or something)

Ok

Burnet County Courthouse annex (with metal detector inside the front entrance) has the County County Tax placards/license plate, and the DPS office (Places we could normally carry.) but we can't because there's a Court in there and metal detectors at front entrance (County Deputy Sheriff got upset at my metal on my empty holster setting off his alarm once "THAT'S WHY WE SAY LEAVE EVERYTHING IN THE CAR" Of course I corrected him and said the sign said no knives, guns, weapons,not "everything" because I've been able to read since I was 3 years old ... and he grunted and went back to reading his paperback book and talking on his cell to his girlfriend before leaving his post going to a nearby room so he could talk more privately...

Anyway

The County Tax placards/license plate office has a drive through window like a bank where all business can be conducted, (handy for handicapped and armed persons not wanting to remove belts with their buckles and holsters with metal screws etc)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

trentwhite778

Post by trentwhite778 »

Am I the only one that wants to hear more about the attempted carjacking? :lol:

Rangel

Post by Rangel »

trentwhite778 wrote:Am I the only one that wants to hear more about the attempted carjacking? :lol:
THIS^^^

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Rangel wrote:
trentwhite778 wrote:Am I the only one that wants to hear more about the attempted carjacking? :lol:
THIS^^^
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 06#p739459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

carlson1 wrote:
DLBConductor wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Yea that would have been a bad LEO contact.
Depends on the LEO and contact. Some of us do warn people vs. throwing the book at them.

Topic author
DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

After reading some of your comments, I was motivated to return to the scene of my crime and now have an interesting follow-up to my original post.

I went back by the McLennan County Courthouse Complex today and discovered that there is (1) "The Courthouse Building" that houses judges and courtrooms (30.06 with metal screeners), (2) "The Annex Building" that houses county holding cells with direct physical access to the courtrooms (30.06 with metal screeners), and (3) "The County Hall of Records," a separate building across the street that houses the County Tax Assessor, County Records, Car Title Registration, the County Clerk, and the County Commissioner's Court. The Hall of Records is where I obtained my handicapped placard. Although "The Hall of Records" is marked with a 30.06 sign, there are no metal screeners at the door.

Unless the County Commissioner's Court is considered a "court," I can see no reason why the building should be marked as a 30.06 building. It will be interesting to discover the truth of the situation. At the time, I had no desire to be a test case as to the validity of the sign. However, I know the new County Tax Assessor very well since he and his dad are my CPAs. I plan to call and ask him directly about the legality of posting the "Hall of Records" with a 30.06 sign.

I will let you know what I discover.
Last edited by DLBConductor on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

If there's a Court in the Courthouse annex and a jail then there is no need for 30.06 sign because it is off limits rather it is posted or not.

I am not for sure about the "County Commissioner's Court." I know they operate the same as a City Counsel. It will be interested to see what the experts say.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

The cities and counties do consider the county commissioners court as a court, and consider the entire building for such.

thorkyl

Post by thorkyl »

Annex buildings create an interesting situation.

As the statute says
(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court

Our Annex has on the first floor small claims court and the court clerk
On the ceiling they painted a blue line
one side is "Court" the other is not
This way people can come in and go upstairs to the DMV and public health office
---
http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beyond Bitter, now I am just plain MAD
I know how many I own, not enough...

Return to “Never Again!!”