IN: Man shoots self accidentally after leaving gun show

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

IN: Man shoots self accidentally after leaving gun show

Post by seamusTX »

In Indianapolis today, a 54-year-old man accidentally shot himself while reloading a .45-caliber pistol after leaving a gun show. Police said the shooting was accidental and no charges would be filed.

http://www.14news.com/story/20631665/in ... e-gun-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:banghead:

Is it something in the beef jerky?

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

carlson1

Re: IN: Man shoots self accidentally after leaving gun show

Post by carlson1 »

UPDATED: 5 People Shot At 3 Different Gun Shows On Gun Appreciation Day

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... ?mobile=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the gun advocates behind this year’s inaugural Gun Appreciation Day had hoped to use the day’s festivities to build support for their anti-regulation platform, they are going to have to wait another year.

Emergency personnel had to be called to the scene of the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, North Carolina after a gun accidentally discharged and shot two people at the show’s safety check-in booth just after 1 pm. Both victims were transported to an area hospital, and the Raleigh Fire Department announced that the show would be closed for the rest of the day.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

So removing from the holster and clearing a concealed firearm to comply with gun show rules is NOT a good idea?
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

txjim42

Post by txjim42 »

Given the increase number of inexperienced folks moving firearms around I wouldn't be surprised if there is an increase in ND's. The "panic" has incited many folks without basic firearm safety discipline to purchase and/or otherwise handle firearms, often in unsafe ways. From those panic buying, often their first guns to those trying to get rid of grandpa's old army gun to take advantage of panic prices.

After being flagged no less than 3 times at Academy last weekend by folks at the gun-counter I really wondered what resources new gun-owners would find, if any, to prepare them for the responsibility of safely owning a firearm... One gentleman was very indignant to discover that the revolver he just jammed in is pocket and snagged upon retrieval didn't have a safety, so he bought a SA .40 pistol and one box of SD ammo instead... First-time gun-owner. I wonder how much practicing he'll do with those 20 rounds, or if he'll pursue any training or safety material at all?

I'm thinking that this would be a good time to really step up firearm safety education to help out folks who might not have been quite ready to purchase and did so in haste. Before they have a possibly tragic accident. The new (panic) owner, dealing with their (panic) selection and paperwork very likely didn't even hear the basic safety drill most firearms dealers run through as part of the sale.

Many may will look to the NRA after they get home and perhaps consider safety, but the NRA Gun Safety rules are a bit confusing. http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx... For example:
When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules:
Know your target and what is beyond.
Good rule, but generally speaking, when I'm storing my gun, it's already unloaded/safe and not being directed at a target... I think this website could be better, providing basic safety rules, clearly and I would think some brief videos covering the safety basics and perhaps operation basics for common weapons wouldn't be such a stretch for the NRA. Did Bing steer me to the wrong NRA website for gun safety? A strong safety and education site might save lives, be good PR and also provide channel to boost membership and a marketing mechanism/lead-in for additional NRA/partner training classes. I sure wish the NRA would do better here... Start with simple safety priorities like the 4/5 basic rules then continue to educate.

Seems like a opportunity to usher more folks into -safe- firearm ownership to the benefit of all...

So how do you get the new gun owners attention and make them realize the importance of basic gun safety? I really like Clint Smith's Guntalk.tv safety video and rules. I'm thinking about printing these on business cards entitled "The Rules" and handing them to folks as necessary...:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7LIJm5gI#!
  • All guns are always loaded.
  • Don't point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your willing to shoot.
  • Be sure of target and back-stop.
Many of the safety lists I'm seeing cover some of that, but also throw in a number of other items such as know how to operate your gun, use the right ammunition, don't drink and shoot, ear/eyes, have your gun serviced regularly(?)and so forth. Maybe a timely "So I just bought a gun. Now what?" type safety article somewhere. Something else? Or would it just be lost in the noise, such as my TLDR post here? (sorry about that, getting this off my chest)

Anyhow, my trip to Academy reaffirmed my drive to pay attention to the folks around me at public ranges as they may not be as safe as they need to be. And that maybe body armor isn't that expensive...
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace.
Thomas Paine

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

txjim42 wrote:Good rule, but generally speaking, when I'm storing my gun, it's already unloaded/safe and not being directed at a target...
Many people store their guns loaded.
NRA Endowment Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

The anti-s have already been using these gun show incidents in their blogs.

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

More reason that I am looking into what it takes to teach basic safety courses. Too many people out there who are in panic mode and not protect mode.
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

The irony here is that these people probably would not have even been at the gun show much less carrying around weapons they are not familiar with if not for the actions of the President.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jmra wrote:The irony here is that these people probably would not have even been at the gun show much less carrying around weapons they are not familiar with if not for the actions of the President.
You have put me in the spot of defending the president :smash: , and I never thought that day would come. While he may have created a gun buying frenzy, it is not his fault that these people didn't know how to use, unload or holster their weapons. That is on them.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

texanjoker wrote:
jmra wrote:The irony here is that these people probably would not have even been at the gun show much less carrying around weapons they are not familiar with if not for the actions of the President.
You have put me in the spot of defending the president :smash: , and I never thought that day would come. While he may have created a gun buying frenzy, it is not his fault that these people didn't know how to use, unload or holster their weapons. That is on them.
Didn't suggest that they weren't at fault, just that they probably wouldn't have been handling them to begin with if the Prez wasn't screwing around with the 2A.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Never Again!!”