Glock maintenance tip

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AV8R

Glock maintenance tip

Post by AV8R »

Glock owners who disassemble their magazines on a regular basis for cleaning and inspection often find that removing the baseplate from the magazine can be the hardest part of the job. Well, for G19 owners, I think I may have found a solution which requires absolutely no mechanical aptitude whatsoever. Simply insert the G19 mag into a G17 pistol and give it a firm tap. This method seems to work fine with loaded magazines (a real time saver) and even works in a moving automobile, a great way to multitask. Please do not ask me how I know.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Like the old "peanut can full of snakes" gag, eh? :grin:

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

KBCraig wrote:Like the old "peanut can full of snakes" gag, eh? :grin:
That just about sums it up!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

How timely this thread is!

I've been doing a poor impression of WWF "Smackdown" on a new "normal capacity" magazine for my G23...

I got fed up and put it aside to cool down...

I would actually be happy getting gagged with a "peanut can of snakes" at this point...

I know there's got to be a Glock tool for this somewhere, just haven't had the time to figure this out...

So if I have a G23, I need to buy a G22 or G27 to make this work???

Cool...New gun purchase... :lol: I know...I'm a goober...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

stevie_d_64 wrote:How timely this thread is!

I've been doing a poor impression of WWF "Smackdown" on a new "normal capacity" magazine for my G23...

I would actually be happy getting gagged with a "peanut can of snakes" at this point...

I know there's got to be a Glock tool for this somewhere, just haven't had the time to figure this out...

I do not quite understand the problem you are having, could you give a bit more detail? Glock issues tend to be straightforward, so don't despair.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

AV8R wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:How timely this thread is!

I do not quite understand the problem you are having, could you give a bit more detail? Glock issues tend to be straightforward, so don't despair.
In the interest of keeping LT from giving me a hard time...(to late)

Can't get the base off very easy, it has always appeared to be a two step process, but do it at the same time trick...

Of course I don't mess with a good thing, but a new normal capacity magazine for my G23 gets a nice little extension (not the +2 round extention) just the pinky finger base...

I've done it once or twice in the past, and it just took a little fan-agle-in' with it...Getting the extention back on was a no brainer...

I feel like such a goob...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

This link has photos which illustrate the typical mag disassembly process. It helps to squeeze the magazine tube slightly at the base to release the lugs which lock the baseplate. I do this by making two aspirin-size discs and taping them to the inside of the jaws of a shop vise. A slight squeeze will allow the baseplate to release easily. It's not easy to break a magazine, so go at it.

http://glockmeister.com/magdis.shtml

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Gotta give it a squeeze on the sides....some of them are tough! I have taken a screw driver to more than one :oops: due to a lack of patience. I now have designated practice mags for all of my Glocks.

People tell you how simple it is.....LOL. The directions just don't always work. If the insert flips while a punch (3/32" is the correct tool) just lay it to the side and take a deep breathe!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

The vise makes all the difference. You really do need both hands for the baseplate. Haven't had to use a screwdriver yet, but a cut-off pocket screwdriver makes a dandy punch.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

[smack on the forehead!]

I could've had a V-8!
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

DrKyle1

Post by DrKyle1 »

Ok, if a picture is worth a 1000 words... how many words is a video worth? http://www.custom-glock.com/vids/mag2.mov
Dr. Kyle

ttorion

Post by ttorion »

Here is another video that's pretty good.

http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/magdis.mpg

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

There's a tool made especially for this task. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... r+GLOCK%7e
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Eddie A.

Post by Eddie A. »

If you use on of those mini screw drivers small enough in diameter you can stick it down through the little hole in the base plate of the mag and use leverage to pop the base plate right off. I'll try to make a video of this to post.
"I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it."

match308

Post by match308 »

Good tip. Thx
T.Bannister

Return to “Never Again!!”