Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

Post by Abraham »

So, some of the other reasons to go to a gym are for more and technical equipment.

Fair enough.

Me, I prefer simplicity, convenience, and very low cost.

No one's mentioned if any of the gyms are co-ed.

My guess: If the gym is inexpensive, it's not co-ed...if it's pricey, there are women all over the place.

But, as always, I could be wrong...

dawgfishboy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dawgfishboy »

Mine's cheap and co-ed but mainly women...I wear noise canceling ear buds with loud music to keep from going :crazy:.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

Abraham wrote:So, some of the other reasons to go to a gym are for more and technical equipment.

Fair enough.

Me, I prefer simplicity, convenience, and very low cost.

No one's mentioned if any of the gyms are co-ed.

My guess: If the gym is inexpensive, it's not co-ed...if it's pricey, there are women all over the place.

But, as always, I could be wrong...
Lots of women at mine. However, they are not the eye-candy you might see at a high priced 'fu-fu' gym that are there becuase it's 'the thing to do.'. Most of these women (and men, like me) all are there because they need to be.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 22

Post by TexasCajun »

TexasCajun wrote:Well it's after 3:30am & I'm on here because I can't sleep. Tonight, I went to the gym. And as usual I stored my street clothes, boots that my wife got me for Christmas, wallet, keys, and my handgun in one of the lockers while I worked out. My heart sank to the floor when I went back to the locker room after I was done to find everything gone. I thought I was being careful by going into one of the private changing rooms to disarm/change & putting everything in my gym bag before storing my stuff in the locker & locking it with a padlock. Wrong! I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the lockers near mine that still had locks on them were there when I first went in. Needless to say, I'm not the least bit happy about the possibility of some thug walking around with my house & car keys, my address AND my handgun. I've already filed the police report, canceled my cards, & requested a replacement CHL. I'll spend tomorrow having all the locks re-keyed and getting my new DL & bank cards. Until then, it's just me and my 2 12ga shotguns, Beretta Nano, & every single little sound that has me doing rounds & checks around the house...

So hindsight being 20/20, I should have gone to the gym in workout clothes carrying my Nano, wallet, & keys in a gym bag small enough to keep with me on the workout floor. Or possibly getting a belly-band or sticky holster to keep the Nano on me. Going forward, I'm going to cancel my gym membership since I've been a bit wary of some of the 'clientele' that they seem to attract.
So the unthinkable happened yesterday. I got a call from the gym with a police officer on a second line. While doing repairs in the gym locker room, they found my bag with most of my belongings - including my Glock!!!! The officer thinks the thief probably cut my lock, emptied the locker & tossed the bag on top of the lockers to come back & get it later but over shot his mark.

I had pretty much written off my pistol so yesterday was a great surprise. Can't wait to give it a good one over & take it out to the range!

On a side note, there may be a new entry on texas3006.com in the coming months. The gym manager was apparently freaked out that ordinary citizens can walk around in public with loaded handguns and then got mad when he found out that the police weren't going to arrest me for having a gun at the gym. He was so upset, the cop decided to meet me in the parking lot rather than have me go inside to claim my property.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

LabRat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LabRat »

TexasCajun wrote: So the unthinkable happened yesterday. I got a call from the gym with a police officer on a second line. While doing repairs in the gym locker room, they found my bag with most of my belongings - including my Glock!!!! The officer thinks the thief probably cut my lock, emptied the locker & tossed the bag on top of the lockers to come back & get it later but over shot his mark.

I had pretty much written off my pistol so yesterday was a great surprise. Can't wait to give it a good one over & take it out to the range!

On a side note, there may be a new entry on texas3006.com in the coming months. The gym manager was apparently freaked out that ordinary citizens can walk around in public with loaded handguns and then got mad when he found out that the police weren't going to arrest me for having a gun at the gym. He was so upset, the cop decided to meet me in the parking lot rather than have me go inside to claim my property.
Wow! Got your pistol and dirty laundry back all at the same time. Good to hear.
Even better hearing the Glock wasn't used in a crime.

Guess you'll have to find a new gym. If you stay, that manager will be eyeballin' you all the time now that he knows.

Again, glad it worked out for you.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

Good news though it's almost been a year. Glad you recovered your stuff- and please give my extra special regards to the gym manager....if you get my drift! :reddevil Merry Christmas.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

That is pretty sweet :thumbs2:

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I haven't been back to that gym since my stuff was stolen. I actually haven't been back to any gym since then.

jmra

Post by jmra »

TexasCajun wrote:I haven't been back to that gym since my stuff was stolen. I actually haven't been back to any gym since then.
I am slowly building my own gym at home. Not at all interested in the public gym setting and everything that goes with it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

jmra wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:I haven't been back to that gym since my stuff was stolen. I actually haven't been back to any gym since then.
I am slowly building my own gym at home. Not at all interested in the public gym setting and everything that goes with it.
Same here, if by "slowly building" you mean that you haven't thrown away some heavyish pieces of scrap wood. :mrgreen:

The house I'm in now is already overcrowded, but when I eventually get my own place I think a bowflex or something similar will go in my workshop area. Maybe. Depends on how well I do with push-ups and other exercises that don't need much in the way of equipment.

Oh, and congratulations on getting your stuff back, TexasCajun! What all did the thief actually end up stealing?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Looks like the only things that weren't retuned to me were the boots that my wife got me last Christmas and my NHRA cap. I've since replaced the boots & wasn't really worried about the cap.

dhyde79

Post by dhyde79 »

I'll chime in here....my gym is owned by the same people that own the company I work for, it's attached to my building that I work in, and, I dart up during lunch for 30-40 minutes. My locker room isn't "secure" so to speak, but, given that the typical membership there is $50/month (not for me, it's an employee benefit for me), the clientele is all older people, lawyers, doctors, etc, or, they're employees at the company I work at, and, they've yet to have any thefts in the gym.

It's especially handy for me because as of current, there's a difference in opinion between the head of HR and the written copy of the employee handbook. She is advising everyone that carrying concealed with a license is against the rules and is a terminable offense, the book however, say quite specifically "unlicensed possession" thus meaning that if you're licensed to carry, you're allowed to. When I come in to work, my coat, and minivault with combo lock goes into the locker. Once this issue is resolved, and we're allowed to carry, it won't matter, as the minivault and my sidearm will be stored in a drawer at my desk unless I'm leaving my desk. (this stemming from the fact that I'm really not worried about having my firearm at work, I just don't want to leave it in the truck) after all, I work in a one way hallway, with two factor access control...when I'm leaving my happy little hall I can easily unlock the drawer, and slip my sidearm into its holster that I'll still have on my person.
Last edited by dhyde79 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I wouldn't care. A gym where thieves are walking around nonchalantly cutting locks is not a place I'd ever ever ever go back to. If they're ok wandering around with bolt cutters, there's nothing them from trying to mug you.

Return to “Never Again!!”