Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

RX8er
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

Post by RX8er »

That just stinks for you. I'm sorry you are going through this!!! When I went to the gym, I used lockers that were in the main part of the workout area for all to see.
fickman wrote:P.S. if you're going to workout at home for sure, consider something like P90X (depending on age and current conditioning level, of course). My wife does it and I've used a few sessions when I couldn't make it to the gym... it's the real deal.
Yep, I am a P90X guy and love it. I lost 45 pounds following the program but now I am putting weight back on, it's just more muscle now. :cheers2:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 22

Post by TexasCajun »

I've got all the locks changed, credit card & debit card canceled, replacement TXDL & CHL are on the way. Tomorrow I'll call the gym & my homeowner's insurance to see if there's anything else that can be done.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

TexasCajun wrote:I've got all the locks changed, credit card & debit card canceled, replacement TXDL & CHL are on the way. Tomorrow I'll call the gym & my homeowner's insurance to see if there's anything else that can be done.
Got enough 12ga. defensive ammo?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

texanjoker wrote:Gyms get slammed with thefts. Never have anything valuable in the gym locker OR in your car. The cars are hit as well.
Great point. I was thinking to myself, maybe I need to leave my gun locked up in the strong box cabled to the underside of my passenger seat -- whenever I get back to the gym next, and it's been way too long. But a criminal could easily be watching the parking lot, knowing that the cars will be unattended for at least thirty minutes to one hour when a patron parks and goes inside to workout. Plenty of time to defeat that type of security.

ETA: Sorry you're having to go through this. Thanks for posting, though, so that the rest of us can think about our own situations and learn from your experience.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I work out at Gold's Gym daily. Like someone else mentioned, I have stored my gun/keys/etc in the lockers before, and used a personal lock. I've never had anyone mess with it before, but after a few weeks I decided to just carry around my man purse (Maxpedition Sitka) with me while i'm there.
No More Signature

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

snatchel wrote:I work out at Gold's Gym daily. Like someone else mentioned, I have stored my gun/keys/etc in the lockers before, and used a personal lock. I've never had anyone mess with it before, but after a few weeks I decided to just carry around my man purse (Maxpedition Sitka) with me while i'm there.
When I'm at the gym working on my flabdominals it never twigged, before I got my CHL, why some patrons kept their bag with them at all times...I guess now I know

I'd wonder if they target those who use the private booths because they are perceved have something to hide

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

If you have not already, make sure you have a fraud alert activated with the credit bureaus:

http://www.equifax.com/answers/set-fraud-alerts/en_cp
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

I feel for you! The exact same thing happened to me in November of 2010. It stinks. In my case, a young drug addict spotted me getting out of a Mercedes. Followed me in and broke into only my locker. Fortunately, the Police were great and arrested him and his girlfriend accomplice two weeks later and retrieved most of my items. They spent about $4,000 on my credit cards within 30 minutes.

The aftermath is miserable, getting new DL, CC, etc.

Sorry you had to experience this!

EDIT: [I was fortunate that I did not have a firearm at the time. This incident and a face to-face-robbery attempt caused me to buy my first handgun and get training.]
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

C-dub wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:I've got all the locks changed, credit card & debit card canceled, replacement TXDL & CHL are on the way. Tomorrow I'll call the gym & my homeowner's insurance to see if there's anything else that can be done.
Got enough 12ga. defensive ammo?
2 12ga filled with 00 Buck. I've also got a Beretta Nano with 2 six round mags + 1 8 round mag and seveal boxes of range 9mm. Not the most ideal set-up for sure. But once life gets back to normal, I'll start a real home defense reconfigure.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

v-rog wrote:If you have not already, make sure you have a fraud alert activated with the credit bureaus:

http://www.equifax.com/answers/set-fraud-alerts/en_cp
Done. Thanks!

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

And just heard back from the insurance company. This would be covered under my homeowner's policy, but my deductible is $1000. So far, my losses only total $900. So looks like my EDC replacement will have to be out of pocket. :grumble

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

One of the benefits of being an NRA member is insurance coverage (paid for by being a member, but you have to sign up for it) for situations like your gun theft.

Up to a max of $2500.00

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Abraham wrote:One of the benefits of being an NRA member is insurance coverage (paid for by being a member, but you have to sign up for it) for situations like your gun theft.

Up to a max of $2500.00
I thought about that. I can't remember if I've already activated it or not, though. Unfortunately, I can't remember my login/password, and they need my membership number in order to do a reset. So I'm waiting to hear back from them about it.

Take my advice, guys. Don't ever lose your wallet!!!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

TexasCajun wrote:
Abraham wrote:One of the benefits of being an NRA member is insurance coverage (paid for by being a member, but you have to sign up for it) for situations like your gun theft.

Up to a max of $2500.00
I thought about that. I can't remember if I've already activated it or not, though. Unfortunately, I can't remember my login/password, and they need my membership number in order to do a reset. So I'm waiting to hear back from them about it.

Your NRA membership # is on your magazine label.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Jumping Frog wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

Up to a max of $2500.00

Your NRA membership # is on your magazine label.
I get the e-edition...

Return to “Never Again!!”