Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 22

Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

Post by TexasCajun »

Well it's after 3:30am & I'm on here because I can't sleep. Tonight, I went to the gym. And as usual I stored my street clothes, boots that my wife got me for Christmas, wallet, keys, and my handgun in one of the lockers while I worked out. My heart sank to the floor when I went back to the locker room after I was done to find everything gone. I thought I was being careful by going into one of the private changing rooms to disarm/change & putting everything in my gym bag before storing my stuff in the locker & locking it with a padlock. Wrong! I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the lockers near mine that still had locks on them were there when I first went in. Needless to say, I'm not the least bit happy about the possibility of some thug walking around with my house & car keys, my address AND my handgun. I've already filed the police report, canceled my cards, & requested a replacement CHL. I'll spend tomorrow having all the locks re-keyed and getting my new DL & bank cards. Until then, it's just me and my 2 12ga shotguns, Beretta Nano, & every single little sound that has me doing rounds & checks around the house...

So hindsight being 20/20, I should have gone to the gym in workout clothes carrying my Nano, wallet, & keys in a gym bag small enough to keep with me on the workout floor. Or possibly getting a belly-band or sticky holster to keep the Nano on me. Going forward, I'm going to cancel my gym membership since I've been a bit wary of some of the 'clientele' that they seem to attract.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

Post by gigag04 »

Did you have the SN?

Might get it back.

Also - the gym should have video and a record of who comes in.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I gave the serial number to the police. No video. I wouldn't count on being sure who was there. During the late evenings, the staff tend to wander off & leave the check-in scanner in self-serve mode (sitting unattended on the counter).

A-R

Post by A-R »

TexasCajun wrote:I gave the serial number to the police. No video. I wouldn't count on being sure who was there. During the late evenings, the staff tend to wander off & leave the check-in scanner in self-serve mode (sitting unattended on the counter).
In addition to all your other troubles, sounds like you need a new gym too. And old gym's owner needs to know why you're leaving.

Sorry that happened to you.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

That is extremely unfortunate. I'm very sorry for your loss.

My gym, it's been way too long since I've been, has lockers inside the locker room and outside near the weight area where everyone could see. I always put my things in there in, but I never went late at night. I hope you get your stuff back.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Thanks everybody. I'm not too concerned about losing the stuff. It all can be replaced. But it does gall me to know that some thug low life criminal is out there with my gun. I pray that somehow the police can come across it before an innocent gets hurt.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

So, how did they get past the lock? Cut it? Jimmy the door?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I have locked my pistol in a gym locker before...but no more after this. Yikes! Also, I've got a passive alarm on my car and am always hesitant to even lock it in my trunk, as the release is just inside the driver door.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Most likely, they cut the lock. I'm not sure because nothing was left behind & the door looked OK.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

TexasCajun wrote:Most likely, they cut the lock. I'm not sure because nothing was left behind & the door looked OK.
I am assuming this was your personal lock, not one maybe the gym gives out where an emplyee might have a master key?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

Consider working out at home.

It'll save you time, money and inconvenience.

A set of free weights, a bench and you're set to go.

Prefer all the high tech gadgets over free weights?

For the cost of a few years membership you can probably buy those for use at home too.

I wouldn't accept FREE membership at any gym.

Way too much bother...

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Keith B wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Most likely, they cut the lock. I'm not sure because nothing was left behind & the door looked OK.
I am assuming this was your personal lock, not one maybe the gym gives out where an emplyee might have a master key?
It was my personal combination lock.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Abraham wrote:Consider working out at home.

It'll save you time, money and inconvenience.

A set of free weights, a bench and you're set to go.

Prefer all the high tech gadgets over free weights?

For the cost of a few years membership you can probably buy those for use at home too.

I wouldn't accept FREE membership at any gym.

Way too much bother...
I'm leaning in that direction. Although I don't have the room for equipment. So I'll probably just stick with the running track at the city park for a while.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Gyms get slammed with thefts. Never have anything valuable in the gym locker OR in your car. The cars are hit as well.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Sorry to hear a lowlife helped himself to the things you worked hard for.

I analyzed the security camera coverage at my gym and park in the most illuminated spot that has a full crisp picture on the monitors. In my favorite spot, you can also see 2 spots on either side. The break ins I know about have typically involved the perp backing into the site next to their target.

When I plan to shower at home, I pack light and keep the bag with me or use the lockers on the workout floor that I can see the whole time.

When I play basketball, I put my bag on the sideline across the gym from where everybody congregated and store their bag. Even during a competitive game, if somebody crosses the court to be near my bag, it imeditately gets (and keeps) my attention. Sometimes I'll use the floor lockers just outside the court, but I can't see them while playing.
If I take my big bag and it's late (9pm-2am), I'll keep my bag with me. If it's busier, I'll use the public locker room. The problem with the private changing rooms is that a thief will get unlimited time alone to work in there... it's loud enough that he could potentially do whatever he wants, take all the time he needs, never fear somebody walking in on him, and out all the loot in a bigger bag without suspision.

If mine ever gets stolen, I imagine the police report will cost me my membership with no refund as the contract has a non-30.06 "no guns" clause.

Nothing is perfect.

P.S. if you're going to workout at home for sure, consider something like P90X (depending on age and current conditioning level, of course). My wife does it and I've used a few sessions when I couldn't make it to the gym... it's the real deal.
Native Texian

Return to “Never Again!!”