Neighbors new dog

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RottenApple
Posts in topic: 6

Neighbors new dog

Post by RottenApple »

For the third time in a week, the neighbor's new dog has broken through the fence to visit my own mutt. The first 2 times were no big deal; she ran back home as soon as i opened the door. But this time she had my dog cornered and started growling aggressively (teeth bared, hackles raised, etc) at me when I approached. I had her lined up in my sights so fast that I don't even remember drawing. Two things have me worried though and I'd like some advice.

1) She (the neighbor's dog) cowered and crawled back to the hole in the fence as soon as she saw the gun. Does this indicate possible gun-related abuse or just because I turned aggressive so quickly?

2) After securing my dog inside, I went to have a chat with the neighbor. He was polite and apologetic (he has already replaced the slats she's busted twice before) and said he would take care of it and "beat that stupid mutt". I'm not big on inappropriately aggressive animals, but I don't want to see one abused either. I don't know my neighbor well enough to know if he was joking (in poor taste, obviously) or serious. Should I call animal control about possible animal abuse?

On the (slightly) lighter side, it's nice to know that my drawing practice is paying off. ;-)

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Neighbors new dog

Post by RPBrown »

By cowering, the dog is showing submission to you. It could be that it has been beaten and the closer you came the more it cowered. Did you raise your voice? If so that could have caused it.

As for calling animal control, you really have no proof unless you hear or see it happening. There is not much that they can do without some proof of some kind.

Hopefully your neighbor was just spouting off and will not harm the dog. However, I suspect that he has in the past but again, only a guess.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

There's just something about guns that scare some dogs and I have no idea why. Both of our Miniature Schnauzers live a life of royalty and neither have ever heard a gun fired. But when I pull out any gun, other than my daily carry 1911, the female ducks her head and walks away. I guess she's become used to seeing me wearing my 1911 or laying on the coffee table. The male couldn't care less.

Chas.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

My dog is ok seeing guns inside the house until I don hearing protection --then he runs and hides because he knows that shortly there will be shooting. If he sees me with a gun in my hands outside, he runs back to the house, because he apparently knows that I sometimes shoot at things like snakes when I'm not wearing hearing protection.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Tass

Post by Tass »

Dogs (and all animals) have a 'bubble' that relates to fight/flight, condition 'green', etc. Some people have a very large bubble and can influence a dog from a great distance, others have no effect whatsoever. My herding trainer has a very large bubble. She can be up to 15-20' away from a new dog who has never seen/heard her and they will react. My very soft older dog would not work with her in the arena because her presence put too much pressure on him. You likely came out of the door with much more presence and determination. Kinda like the "Hand of God" was coming through that door.

Suggest to neighbor that he double up the fence, ie pickets on both sides. A friend who runs a rescue had to do this when a foster dog kept trying to go through. Running a bit of chicken wire (sorry, poultry netting) between the pickets can also discourage this behavior. The only way to be 100% is to never leave the dog unattended in the backyard (also goes for poop eating).

Tass
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

snakeyez78

Post by snakeyez78 »

I have two dogs and one is just gun shy regardless of what it is or how its presented (have had him since he was weeks old), the other goes gunning with me and the only time he get weird is when I practice draws that are too close to him.

To add response to the OP's questions, the action of you drawing itself might not of triggered it, but the drawing might have changed your posture and body language just enough that the dog was able read your body and know you are challenging back. Think of it as if you puffed up your chest or showed your teeth, the body language can tell the animal so much.

I many cases having a gun, or drawing a gun makes most wielders stand firmer or more confident whether or not its a motcho thing about us or just natural sense of security.
~B

“This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.” “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts.”

“I'm not a lawyer and I did not stay at a holiday Inn last night...”

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

I had this issue with the pup next door, derned hard headed thing kept busting slats to get into my yard.

After replacing a few, I decided to back the slats on my side with a 2x6. I placed it between the 4x4 posts at the bottom and screwed it in place.

Haven't lost a slat since.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

MolonLabe

Post by MolonLabe »

I wouldn't get animal control involved, a cowering dog doesn't necessarily mean abuse. Sounds like you were able to have a civilized discussion with your neighbor, if you get authorities involved on a mere hunch, I doubt that will continue. I would personally get a picture of the damaged fence, have a camera ready in case the dog does get back into your yard and log your discussion with neighbor. If you do have to take care of another serious incident in the future, I would think(speculation on my part) it would help with the messy aftermath.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MolonLabe wrote:I wouldn't get animal control involved, a cowering dog doesn't necessarily mean abuse. Sounds like you were able to have a civilized discussion with your neighbor, if you get authorities involved on a mere hunch, I doubt that will continue. I would personally get a picture of the damaged fence, have a camera ready in case the dog does get back into your yard and log your discussion with neighbor. If you do have to take care of another serious incident in the future, I would think(speculation on my part) it would help with the messy aftermath.
Game camera.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RottenApple
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RottenApple »

I was yelling at the dog to "get back", "go home", and the like. So what y'all are saying is that, combined with my own aggressive behavior (and possibly the dog being gun-shy for whatever reason), caused the dog to cower and crawl back to the hole in the fence. Ok. I'm good with that.

Charles, you have Miniature Schnauzers? For some reason I pictured you as more of a Mastiff man. Personally, that's my favorite breed. But my wife nixed it. :grumble

PBratton, that 2x6 is a pretty good idea. I'll probably go 2x12 though, just to get enough height on it. This dog is pretty big.

MolonLabe, it wasn't just the dog cowering that concerned me. It was that plus the owner's comment ("I'm gonna beat that stupid mutt"). Perhaps calling animal control is a bit premature at this point. I'll just keep an eye on things and do what I can to prevent any problems.

TAM, great idea on the game cam. Now if I could only afford one. LOL.

That's all of you for the information and advice. It is very much appreciated. :tiphat:

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

suggest to the people to go buy a low out put hot wire fence ment for dogs. they work rather well. ive had 0 escapes from my yard in 5 years or so. it also paid for itself in not replacing fence slats

QMCS

Post by QMCS »

cheezit wrote:suggest to the people to go buy a low out put hot wire fence ment for dogs. they work rather well. ive had 0 escapes from my yard in 5 years or so. it also paid for itself in not replacing fence slats
Works for me. Neighbor's dog hasn't been over for several months now.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

Guns and dogs... that is the craziest thing. When any of the neighbors dogs see my Daisy 990 they go home. Must be dinner time 'cuz they are usually in a hurry... :mrgreen:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

If the dog is new to the area, it may become more or less aggressive as it gets used to it's new surroundings and becomes territorial of what it consider's it's domain. It may have initially growled at you just because it was surprised by your presence when it was seeing if your own dog was going to fight with it. If it has shown you aggression and then cowered, it does not mean it will not bite you. Some dogs have unstable temperaments and may shift back and forth between acting aggressive and submissive. Reinforcing the fence from your side is a good idea for every one's sake. If it does bite you or some one else, don't assume it's had it's vaccines and don't just take the neighbor's word for it.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

alvins

Post by alvins »

mace works good on dogs if you dont want to shoot it.

Return to “Never Again!!”