Neighbors new dog

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Neighbors new dog

Post by ajwakeboarder »

alvins wrote:mace works good on dogs if you dont want to shoot it.
Not always. I used to work for the electric company. We carried mace. One time i shot a doberman right in the mouth with it. He just licked it and kept coming. Finally hitting him with my 2.5 lb. computer persuaded him that I wasn't food.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Back when I was doing rescue we had a few dogs surrendered by folks that were concerned for the dog's safety from a neighbor like that. The dogs were allowed to run loose, were chained, or fenced and managed to escape somehow. The next time the dog escaped they brought the dog to us. We checked them for tattoos and microchips and if they had none we found new, loving, homes for the dogs.

Just an thought before you insert that 2x12.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RottenApple
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RottenApple »

Update: Well, the dog has broken through twice more now, so I've reinforced my side of the fence. Now that mutt has broken through the other side (street side) and gotten out twice more. The last time some girls in the neighborhood brought it to my attention because they thought she was mine. At this point she's so afraid of me she just dropped to the ground, shaking like a leaf. I approached her carefully (not drawn but ready) and let her sniff my hand and she became so eager for attention that it was pathetic. After a few minutes I was able to take her back home and have a chat with her owner. We'll see if things get any better as time goes on.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

How about OC-17? Does a good pepper spray blast repel a large charging dog? It's what my wife carries.

Topic author
RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
How about OC-17? Does a good pepper spray blast repel a large charging dog? It's what my wife carries.
Just like anything, it depends on the dog. Most animals will run when sprayed with mace or OC. But there are some that it'll just tick off even more. TBH, I'd rather shoot (assuming you had to, of course) it and be sure than use a spray and be wrong.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
I've sprayed a LOT of dogs with OC. With that said, I would not trust my life with OC on a dog. Hypothetically I've seen people spray the neighbors dog through the fence with H20, then OC to teach the dogs the fence is a no no. The dog needs to associate the fence with something he doesn't like. After a while the dog learned the boundaries.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

This is pretty sad, it's not the dogs fault...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

sunny beach
Banned

Post by sunny beach »

PBratton wrote:This is pretty sad, it's not the dogs fault...
It's not a rattlesnake's fault but I'm not going to let it bite me.

Topic author
RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

sunny beach wrote:
PBratton wrote:This is pretty sad, it's not the dogs fault...
It's not a rattlesnake's fault but I'm not going to let it bite me.
Exactly. I'm grateful that I didn't have to shoot this dog. But I'd have done it without hesitation if she had continued being aggressive. TBH, it's the owners of aggressive dogs that deserve to be punished.

CEOofEVIL

Post by CEOofEVIL »

I rent what you could call a small 1 bedroom "cottage" (a small stand alone house) and my neighbors have this sad little Chihuahua with a napoleon complex literally tied to it's crate door with a 3 foot leash, right outside their front door. It barks every single time I go outside my door, which makes it challenging to take my own two dogs (a Lab and a Sheppard mix) out to do their business or for walks, because little Napoleon goes nuts! It's become a regular occurrence that their dog will actually pull so hard that it RIPS the door out of the crate and comes chasing after me or my dogs, crate door and all. Now, it's a normal sized Chihuahua, but I'm sure you folks know how aggressive they can become despite their size. Thankfully, it's still pretty much chicken because if you take an authoritative posture with it it will back down, and it also isn't brave enough to mess with my dogs. Still, it's very irritating to have this little beast chasing you down every time you use your own front door. The family that lives there very well knows it gets free from it's "area" on an almost a daily basis but don't do anything about it resolving the issue. If they are outside, or notice that the dog is loose they react pretty quickly in "fixing" the situation (that is, re attaching the flimsy door to the crate).

It's actually really sad. I'm very much a dog lover, and I feel bad for it. It pulls on it's restraints and barks so much that often times when it tries to bark, it literally makes these sad gasping noise instead of barks as it's almost like it's lost it's voice. The people just leave it tied up and it can't move more than a few feet in one direction. It never gets walked or taken inside. I'm contemplating calling Animal Control about the issue. Unfortunately it's difficult to talk to the neighbors due to a language barrier. In general, a pretty large amount of the people in the small town I live in don't really take care of their dogs.They pretty much just let them roam loose wherever they want and don't maintain them. Walking my dogs and encountering what almost amounts to a 'feral' dog is pretty much a consistent thing that happens every day. With that said, I do carry OC spray with me now in addition to my Firearm, just in case. I've never felt threatened by the dog next door or most of the others I've encountered, but you never know. The one next door actually was biting at the heel's of a friend whom walked to my house the other day. :???:

By the by, if you walk your dogs often, practicing how you would draw and present your firearm while doing so is crucial. I'm still not sure how to most efficiently clear my cover garment, and draw while maintaining around 150lbs of dogs' :lol: .

Topic author
RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

CEOofEVIL wrote:I rent what you could call a small 1 bedroom "cottage" (a small stand alone house) and my neighbors have this sad little Chihuahua with a napoleon complex literally tied to it's crate door with a 3 foot leash, right outside their front door. It barks every single time I go outside my door, which makes it challenging to take my own two dogs (a Lab and a Sheppard mix) out to do their business or for walks, because little Napoleon goes nuts! It's become a regular occurrence that their dog will actually pull so hard that it RIPS the door out of the crate and comes chasing after me or my dogs, crate door and all. Now, it's a normal sized Chihuahua, but I'm sure you folks know how aggressive they can become despite their size. Thankfully, it's still pretty much chicken because if you take an authoritative posture with it it will back down, and it also isn't brave enough to mess with my dogs. Still, it's very irritating to have this little beast chasing you down every time you use your own front door. The family that lives there very well knows it gets free from it's "area" on an almost a daily basis but don't do anything about it resolving the issue. If they are outside, or notice that the dog is loose they react pretty quickly in "fixing" the situation (that is, re attaching the flimsy door to the crate).

It's actually really sad. I'm very much a dog lover, and I feel bad for it. It pulls on it's restraints and barks so much that often times when it tries to bark, it literally makes these sad gasping noise instead of barks as it's almost like it's lost it's voice. The people just leave it tied up and it can't move more than a few feet in one direction. It never gets walked or taken inside. I'm contemplating calling Animal Control about the issue. Unfortunately it's difficult to talk to the neighbors due to a language barrier. In general, a pretty large amount of the people in the small town I live in don't really take care of their dogs.They pretty much just let them roam loose wherever they want and don't maintain them. Walking my dogs and encountering what almost amounts to a 'feral' dog is pretty much a consistent thing that happens every day. With that said, I do carry OC spray with me now in addition to my Firearm, just in case. I've never felt threatened by the dog next door or most of the others I've encountered, but you never know. The one next door actually was biting at the heel's of a friend whom walked to my house the other day. :???:

By the by, if you walk your dogs often, practicing how you would draw and present your firearm while doing so is crucial. I'm still not sure how to most efficiently clear my cover garment, and draw while maintaining around 150lbs of dogs' :lol: .
Here's a possible suggestion that might help you situation. You could buy them an inexpensive stake & lead (like this) set from your local pet store and help them set it up in their yard. It would cost you a little money and a few minutes of your time, but might help them and, more importantly, the dog.

BTW, my neighbor saw me putting my dog on her led (just like the one linked above) and asked where I got it. Now he's got one and there's been no further problem from his dog.

DocV

Post by DocV »

Most dogs do not like Citronella oil. You might try spraying some on the areas of your fence that the neighbor's dog is coming through.

Return to “Never Again!!”