Close call in parking lot

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Close call in parking lot

Post by mrvmax »

So I took a trip to Missouri to visit family and on the way back went through Tulsa. Due to construction I ended up going through town and being early in the morning I decided to go into McDonald's and use the restroom and get coffee and breakfast. It was still dark but the neigborhood did not "look" bad so I did not see anything wrong with stopping and leaving my wife and daughter in the car.
So, I had my Ruger LCR on me (with 15 rounds of spare ammo) and left the HKP2000 in the car with my wife. Before I left the car I handed it to her and walked in. My wife always locks the doors and usually watches what is going on around her.
So after I use the bathroom I place my order, they have no coffee so I end up waiting for about 10 minutes. As I am checking out the place I realize from the customers that this isnot the best area to be in. My coffee is ready so I head to the car.
My wife tells me that a lady walks up the the window, knocks and says she has something for her to read. My wife said no thanks and did not roll the window down as requested. The lady got into her SUV and drove off. Apparently she drove up, saw our vehicle and decided to bring us some "reading" material.
I asked my wife if she grabbed the HK when the lady came to the window and she said no. I got onto here for that telling her that if things went bad she may not have time to grab it.
All in all nothing bad happened but I think it could have gone wrong in a hurry. Next time I will stick with the drive through where I can be with my family.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Close call in parking lot

Post by seamusTX »

I can't say what might have been going on.

Having a newer, expensive vehicle, or out-of-state plates, or the wrong complexion for the prevailing demographic can draw attention.

Lone women are very unlikely to commit violent crimes. They may act as a stalking horse for a male criminal—who may be lying down in the back seat of a vehicle, BTW.

There was a woman who hung around the Bob Lyons post office on Broadway in Galveston for a long time. It seemed like she was there every time I went, for maybe a year. She was proselytizing for a religion that I won't mention at the risk of offending Michael Jackson fans. ;-)

She was harmless, aside from wasting the time of people who didn't feel the need to be "saved" by that particular faith.

- Jim

azwe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by azwe »

Have an address for this McDonald's? North Tulsa isn't very safe and hearing about this doesn't surprise me.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

seamusTX wrote: Lone women are very unlikely to commit violent crimes. They may act as a stalking horse for a male criminal—who may be lying down in the back seat of a vehicle, BTW.

- Jim
Or the distraction so someone can approach from the other direction.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ExpatBen

Post by ExpatBen »

No one goes to a parking lot to hand out a flier to only one person and one car. Something was up, or your wife missed something else happening.

Your wife did a nice job of not rolling down the window and nothing happened. We all like those outcomes.
http://www.ModernSelfProtection.com

Edmund Burke said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

mrvmax wrote:So I took a trip to Missouri to visit family and on the way back went through Tulsa. Due to construction I ended up going through town and being early in the morning I decided to go into McDonald's and use the restroom and get coffee and breakfast. It was still dark but the neigborhood did not "look" bad so I did not see anything wrong with stopping and leaving my wife and daughter in the car.
So, I had my Ruger LCR on me (with 15 rounds of spare ammo) and left the HKP2000 in the car with my wife. Before I left the car I handed it to her and walked in. My wife always locks the doors and usually watches what is going on around her.
So after I use the bathroom I place my order, they have no coffee so I end up waiting for about 10 minutes. As I am checking out the place I realize from the customers that this isnot the best area to be in. My coffee is ready so I head to the car.
My wife tells me that a lady walks up the the window, knocks and says she has something for her to read. My wife said no thanks and did not roll the window down as requested. The lady got into her SUV and drove off. Apparently she drove up, saw our vehicle and decided to bring us some "reading" material.
I asked my wife if she grabbed the HK when the lady came to the window and she said no. I got onto here for that telling her that if things went bad she may not have time to grab it.
All in all nothing bad happened but I think it could have gone wrong in a hurry. Next time I will stick with the drive through where I can be with my family.

Having lived in Tulsa for several years I think it highly likely the woman wanted to share religious reading material.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

DJM

Post by DJM »

I had a gig up there almost a year ago, sadly didn't have my plastic back then... Not my kind of crowd and wanted to get out of there asap.
With all this "gun control" talk,
I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take gun from criminals,
just law abiding citizens.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Tulsa has unfortunately become a very bad place for random murders. North Tulsa is no place you want to be at anytime, and near southeast isn't a whole lot better.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Nothing in your posts indicates any threat. Certainly good your wife didn't roll the window down, but I wouldn't get too alarmed by it.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

texanjoker wrote:Nothing in your posts indicates any threat. Certainly good your wife didn't roll the window down, but I wouldn't get too alarmed by it.
:iagree:

In many troubled neighborhoods there are lots of folks with mental issues of many varieties. They often say and do things that seem pretty strange to folks who aren't used to being around them because what they're doing makes sense only in their minds, but most aren't threats.

Experience (often of the type one doesn't enjoy) eventually allows one to distinguish these folks from the real bad actors.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

azwe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by azwe »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Tulsa has unfortunately become a very bad place for random murders. North Tulsa is no place you want to be at anytime, and near southeast isn't a whole lot better.
Everyone says North Tulsa is dangerous but South Tulsa is leading in number of murders not to mention the quadruple homicide in January.

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I do not recall the address of where it was located. I thought maybe religious material but due to being early morning and dark this did not seem too likely. I think the vehicle, out of state plates, two female's in car and being the minorities made them a target. I may be slightly paranoid but my wife has been a victim twice already. I think they might have been trying to do something before the driver (me) came back to the vehicle. I do not trust anyone anymore.

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

texanjoker wrote:Nothing in your posts indicates any threat. Certainly good your wife didn't roll the window down, but I wouldn't get too alarmed by it.
I guess you had to be there, what occurred is not normal. There was no outright threat but I think the situation could have escalated in a heartbeat. I would much rather be safe than a victim.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mrvmax wrote:
I guess you had to be there, what occurred is not normal. There was no outright threat but I think the situation could have escalated in a heartbeat. I would much rather be safe than a victim.
May not have been an overt threat, but could still have been an "interview".
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Perhaps just a JW passing out more copies of The Watchtower?

:lol::

Return to “Never Again!!”