Tale about a notched grip Ruger SA

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Tale about a notched grip Ruger SA

Post by puma guy »

I recently posted about buying a Ruger Old Model Super Single Six pistol to replace one stolen in 1994 and mentioned the one I lost had a notch on the grip. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I had a request to tell the story and decided in the interest of sharing learning experiences I would relay the tale.

I originally purchased the pistol that came to have a notch on the grip in 1965. Actually I had my 21 year old brother put it on layaway at Kmart. It was the original Ruger SA .22 design based on Colt’s with a few modern additions. It’s now referred to as the Old Model or Three Screw. One design that wasn’t changed from Colt’s was the trigger and hammer design. Safety cock, half cock for lowering the indexing lock to allow the rotation of the cylinder for loading/unloading and of course full cock which indexed and aligned the chamber and barrel for firing.

The safety cock was really a misnomer because the sear would not keep the hammer from striking and firing a round if the hammer was bumped or struck hard enough. The amount was pressure required is amazingly light. I read and was aware of the admonition in the Ruger manual to leave an empty chamber under the hammer of my six shooter as did many learned cowboys of yesteryear. Being an indestructible teenager I ignored that advice.

In 1966 I was with a friend on his grandparent’s property near Johnson City, Texas which was adjacent to LBJ’s Ranch. While it has no relationship to the incident it produced some interesting results afterward.
I answered the call of nature, which, required that I loosen my belt to which my holstered pistol was attached. The holstered and gun slipped off the belt and I tried to grab it, but only slowed it a little. As it fell I had many thoughts going through my mind. Of course the admonition about carrying an empty chamber under the hammer was foremost, but as that thought flashed by I considered the very short distance it would fall couldn’t be sufficient to drive the hammer into the firing pin. I was wrong.
I heard the discharge and felt the bullet strike me and still couldn’t believe I was shot. The blood I saw on my hand as I felt the wound convinced me otherwise.

I was down on a creek bank, out of sight from my friends and I guess because I was so stunned that the one foot fall had caused me to be shot I didn’t really yell out. They said they barely heard me without knowing what I said, but since they heard the shot they came to investigate.

My friend raced his 1966 Dodge Dart across the rocky terrain with me in the back seat thinking the undercarriage would surely come off as we bottomed out with every bounce . We made it to the highway and he had the little slant six whining in protest driving at top speed to the Johnson City Hospital, which today no longer exist.
I was evaluated by the only doctor at the 9 room hospital and then rushed into surgery, where he repaired all the holes in my organs produced by the .22 LR HP slug bouncing around my abdomen. I survived and was in the hospital a week and a half.

The day I got shot LBJ was at the ranch, in fact we had a lot of helicopters fly over while we were on my friend’s GP’s ranch. That evidently was the cause of a lot of speculation about the patient with a gunshot wound. I had a lot of faces peer around the slowly opened door to my room. I’d see them looking and then turn to say something to someone behind the door and then the door would slowly close. The nurses told me stories were circulating that I was an assassin wounded in an attempt on LBJ as well as one that I was Secret Service agent wounded in the attempt. :lol:

I thought that even though I survived I would put a notch on the grip to remind me how fortunate I was and to never again take gun safety for granted.

So there is the story behind my Old Ruger Single Six with the notched grip. Somewhere some scumbag has my little pistol and I sometimes wonder if they are at all curious about that notch.

The moral of the story is probably obvious, but I’ll mention it anyway. NEVER keep a live round under the hammer of an old style single action Ruger or Colt style pistol. It takes just a slight bump to fire the round as my story indicates, much less than you would think. A reply in my original post about the new gun informed me of the recall Ruger has on the old models and I realized there may be folks out there that could acquire an old unconverted model who may not know of the admonition about having a round under the hammer.
I apologize for being so long winded. To make this fit the Never Again category he’s my warning: Take heed if you have an old style cowboy pistol and don’t be a notch on the grip!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

eureka40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tale about a notched grip Ruger SA

Post by eureka40 »

Great story. Thanks for sharing that. I can imagine the old rumor mill cranking up in Johnson City because of your ordeal.

:txflag:
TSRA Life Memeber

nyj

Post by nyj »

Cool story :shock:

flechero

Post by flechero »

Wow! That's a story to remember, thanks for sharing! Glad you are ok- but I suspect that you still feel the effects of that day...

Glad I asked about it.

I actually sold my old Ruger "3 screw" (although mine was in .45 Colt) for the very reason that I felt the converted gun would be worth much less. And the buyer bought it because he was specifically looking for one that wasn't converted. At the time, there was a premium being paid for unconverted guns at the gun shows.

...thank the Lord that I never got to "notch" the grip!!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You're a lucky man. I saw more people shot dead by .22 LR than any other caliber, and the wounds sometimes would have been survivable and not always immediately fatal if they had just gotten some help in time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I'm not sure, but I think Ruger still offers a free upgrade kit to the old single six's to prevent/reduce firing when dropped. I believe they return the original parts after the fix, to maintain the originality of the weapon.

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

lonewolf wrote:I'm not sure, but I think Ruger still offers a free upgrade kit to the old single six's to prevent/reduce firing when dropped. I believe they return the original parts after the fix, to maintain the originality of the weapon.
You are correct. Ruger still offers the conversions and will send a shipping box. The original parts are returned to you as said. I actually sent off for the boxes for all three of my Rugers .22, .357, and .44 mag, but they were stolen, except for the .44 Mag, before I got around to shipping them. I am keeping the one I just purchased as original and will follow the rule of no round under the hammer.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

Ruger 22/22 mag Single Six was my first pistol; I still have it and will keep it til I die! Yep, had the Transfer Bar conversion done for free. Great new shooters gun; all my nephews & nieces have shot it. :txflag:

packa45

Post by packa45 »

I learned to shoot on a single six that my dad bought new a loooong time ago... Wonder if his is a preconversion "three screw"? Time to do some investigation. Great story
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You're a lucky man. I saw more people shot dead by .22 LR than any other caliber, and the wounds sometimes would have been survivable and not always immediately fatal if they had just gotten some help in time.
Affirmed. I have treated numerous people perforated by multiple 9 mm rounds to see them on the street in a couple of weeks. I have had several single shots from .22s, some self inflicted, that were DRT. The most remarkable one was a guy shot in the left cheek (aft facing below the belt cheek) and laid dead in the street. An exam showed massive dependent lividity (discoloration due to blood pooling) in the abdomen. We surmised and were later proven right by post mortem that the bullet had "ricocheted" off of the pelvis and piffed his innards.

Added in Edit: I have my dad's old single Six, absolutely love it. He bought it around '71-'72 IIRC, it has the hammer block...and no notches :mrgreen:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “Never Again!!”