Wrong place at wrong time

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bgriff1974
Posts in topic: 8

Wrong place at wrong time

Post by Bgriff1974 »

I have had my chl for several years with no issues. I carry as often as possible (meaning as law allows). I am well a few nights ago my friend called and wanted to go out for some drinks. Apparently he was just dumped and needed to blowoff some steam. I picked him up and we ended up in a top less bar. I was driving so Idid not drink iIjust wwanted to be there to support him. I left my glock 22 in the car and we stayed for a couple of hours. At some point during the night my friend dropped a 5 dollar bill on the floor and went to pick it up. I when he did he was approached by an arrogant individual that said he stole that money from 'his girl'. my friend argued with and said it was his and he had dropped it. It was during this I noticed the arrogant man had 3 other arrogant men with him and they were wearing colors. I got 5.00 out and handed it to the dancer that these men were with and apologized for the confusion and got my friend back to the table. Told him to chill out and we needed to leave. I paid the tab and we walked towards the exit. I watched the men and noticed they were watching us the entire time as we left. I told my friend to walk straight to my car and get in the car as quickly as he can because we are out of here. We started thru the parking lot and I was watching the door the whole time while we left and here they come storming out of the bar about 15 feet behind us and they start yelling at my friend. We get to my car and I open it and he opens his door but he starts letting his ego get involved and smart talks back at the 4 men as they approached. I reach down and grab my firearm at this time while telling my friend Get IN THE CAR!now it's to late and he hits the hood of my car with his fist and says he is going to fight us because we disrespected his woman. Flight is not an option as we have no were to go and they start to surround us. So I close my door and go to my friend by walking around the back of my car telling the guy in charge we just want to leave and don't want any trouble. He says it's too late for that and steps within my 3 ft personal space with his friends circling behind us and all moving in. I bring out my handgun and decide I am going to take the aggressive man down first. As I bring the gun up to fire a round he pushes his friend out of the way and starts to run. Then the other three men start to run . we jump in my car and tear out the back of the parking lot and go down the street to another location were I dial 911 and wait for the police to show. I would be interested in hearing your comments and what you think I did wrong or what you would have done differently.. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wrong place at wrong time

Post by AEA »

First thing you did wrong is go to a topless bar.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Bgriff1974

Post by Bgriff1974 »

Ha. Yes I agree completely.. I never go to those type of places but my friend was all out of sorts and that's what he wanted to do so I went. First time in like 15 years and definitely the last.. lol :banghead:

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ericstac »

Other than the obvious like they pointed out ^^, I think you did pretty good.

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

Bgriff1974 wrote:Ha. Yes I agree completely.. I never go to those type of places but my friend was all out of sorts and that's what he wanted to do so I went. First time in like 15 years and definitely the last.. lol :banghead:
With those kind of friends you sure don't need any enemies.
Interested in what the police had to say.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Bgriff1974

Post by Bgriff1974 »

The cop that came out was pretty cool. He told us that the gangs have been increasing there presence in the area and we were lucky that Iwas armed. AApparently there have been a few incidents that resulted in stolen cars and people being jumped. I am he said too bad I didn't shoot them would have saved the cops some trouble...(he was kidding) I can just remember thinking how this is it. I I am about to have to shoot someone.. I am very thankful they ran.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Im curious when you say " you were going to fire a round" , do you mean shoot one of the guys or fire a warning shot?

I ask as are you saying in your story that deadly force was used against you, so you were justified in shooting the person, or are you saying that you were going to fire a warning shot (which you should never do)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
Bgriff1974

Post by Bgriff1974 »

I would never fire a warning shot. I said I was going to take the aggressive man first. Once I decided the threat level warranted me firing a round wow have hit him several times center mass until the threat was stopped. That includes the
other 3 guys. I absolutely would not have fired a warning shot.. The only warning would have been for the other three guys as I was shooting the leader of the group.

Topic author
Bgriff1974

Post by Bgriff1974 »

I didn't sleep for about a week after this. I ran this through my head time and time.. What would have happened... I almost took a life... Would I have gone to jail... Just everything.. It was very scary but I am thankful I was armed and I am thankful Noone was hurt.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Your second mistake was letting them get 3 feet from you.

An opponent who knows what they are doing can disarm you or slice you up with a knife before you can even react at that distance.

I'd have been ordering them to stop as soon as they cleared the door and then had a gun on them the instant I could reach it.

You were very nearly bitten by the Iron Triangle of Trouble: doing stupid things in stupid places with stupid people.

Glad you weren't hurt.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

Things that don't go over well with juries (more than likely composed mostly of women over 40):
"The defendant shot and killed a man after the defendant and his friend argued with the deceased over a $5 bill in a topless bar."
This may be the only thing the jury actually "hears" the whole trial. Not a position I would ever allow myself to be placed in for any "friend".
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Besides the fact that all of the girls in those places are putting themselves through college :mrgreen: nothing good happens in so called "gentlemens clubs". Men who go there are not gentlemen because gentlemen would not treat a lady the way those women are treated.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

First let me say I'm glad no one was hurt. It could have turned out very differently.

Now, to answer the question you asked, what could you have done differently

1) Not gone to a bar, much less a topless bar.

2) Not let the aggressor get so close. 3' personel space will get you dead in an instant. 21'-25' is the max and in a situation like that, even more if possible.

3) Now that the treat had retreated, I may have sat there and waited on the LEO. They may have had a conversation with the aggressors.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

My question is: Do you think that your 'friend' learned anything from this experience?

I am quite certain that you did.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

You disarmed yourself in accordance with the law. You did a good job of attempting to defuse the situation - more than once. You kept your situational awareness throughout. You armed yourself when the threat was obvious and drew when there was no other option. At the sight of the gun the bad guys rabbited. ISTM you handled it as well as could be expected and complied with the laws on deadly force. I"d give you an A.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Never Again!!”