AK 47 ND kills woman as she hands it to husband

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

AK 47 ND kills woman as she hands it to husband

Post by philip964 »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fr ... er-in-head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colorado. 22 years old. Went to get new gun bought at gun show to show friends. Had a light trigger. Drinking involved. Fired a second time.

This kind of stuff really makes me mad.

gthaustex

Re: AK 47 ND kills woman as she hands it to husband

Post by gthaustex »

As always with these incidents, so tragic. Once again, proof that every gun is always loaded and should be treated as such. Also, proof that firearms and alcohol do not mix. The article said she was a new gun enthusiast, so I can only assume it was a deadly mix of the two....

What a shame....

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

Yes it's a tragedy, but this irritates me to no end.
Witnesses tell police a Federal Heights woman was killed when the new assault rifle she was showing to friends accidentally fired on Tuesday night
The rifle "accidentally fired"? Give me a break. Imagine rifles in your safe accidentally firing. PEOPLE fire guns. They don't fire themselves. Journalists. :banghead:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

baldeagle wrote:Yes it's a tragedy, but this irritates me to no end.
Witnesses tell police a Federal Heights woman was killed when the new assault rifle she was showing to friends accidentally fired on Tuesday night
The rifle "accidentally fired"? Give me a break. Imagine rifles in your safe accidentally firing. PEOPLE fire guns. They don't fire themselves. Journalists. :banghead:
Here, here!

Three of the four rules were violated - 1, all guns are loaded. 2, keep your booger hook off the bang button. 3, never point a gun and something you don't what a hole in.

Alcohol and firearms don't mix because it makes people forget the rules. Stupid and sad. :banghead:

ETA: had two number 1 points, and no number 2. :oops:
Last edited by Jaguar on Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Jaguar wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Yes it's a tragedy, but this irritates me to no end.
The rifle "accidentally fired"? Give me a break. Imagine rifles in your safe accidentally firing. PEOPLE fire guns. They don't fire themselves. Journalists.
Here, here!

Three of the four rules were violated - 1, all guns are loaded. 1, keep your booger hook off the bang button. 3, never point a gun and something you don't what a hole in.

Alcohol and firearms don't mix because it makes people forget the rules. Stupid and sad. :banghead:
Completely agree. They should have gotten some training about safely handling firearms, and specifically, an AK style rifle. I think AndyC's signature phrase applies here: "Amateurs skip safety checks, pros don't". This was a preventable deadly incident.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The more I think about this, the more it irritates me. Think about an AK-47 (or AR-15 for that matter.) In order for the barrel to be pointing at her head (which had to be the case, she was handing the rifle to her husband butt first. Instead of grabbing the butt, he grabs the pistol grip, puts his finger through the trigger guard and depresses the trigger? I'd be questioning that husband very closely and investigating his relationship with his wife. This smells to high heaven to me. Even if both of them were ignorant enough about guns to not know you should never point a weapon at something unless you intend to shoot, the way he handled the rifle doesn't make sense. If someone hands you a rifle butt first, you grab the butt. Then with your other hand you grab the barrel or the pistol grip. But there is no reason to put your finger through the trigger guard, and anyone who has shot a rifle knows that's what fires them. And the gun was loaded? And the safety was off? Sorry, I'm not buying it without investigating thoroughly.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Doesn't sound right to me either. AK-47 does not have a bolt hold open feature. Safety in my opinion is not that great, So who walks around with a loaded mag and a loaded chamber, safety off and hand off a rifle like that? AK-47 is a pretty potent rifle. I prefer my AK over my AR any day.
I use the following as a safety device, a yellow faucet washer and a plastic tie. Since I can't lock the chamber open at the range this stops some of the complaints by the safety officer. Commercial safety devices don't seem to be very good. My AR-15 came with a nice red plastic one that works well. AK-47 I haven't seen one I like.
Attachments
photo109.JPG
photo108.JPG

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Shane Adair told police he's not sure if he touched the gun as his wife reached out to hand it to him,
Not sure???? :banghead: My prayers are with them. So tragic and preventable.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

jmra

Post by jmra »

baldeagle wrote:The more I think about this, the more it irritates me. Think about an AK-47 (or AR-15 for that matter.) In order for the barrel to be pointing at her head (which had to be the case, she was handing the rifle to her husband butt first. Instead of grabbing the butt, he grabs the pistol grip, puts his finger through the trigger guard and depresses the trigger? I'd be questioning that husband very closely and investigating his relationship with his wife. This smells to high heaven to me. Even if both of them were ignorant enough about guns to not know you should never point a weapon at something unless you intend to shoot, the way he handled the rifle doesn't make sense. If someone hands you a rifle butt first, you grab the butt. Then with your other hand you grab the barrel or the pistol grip. But there is no reason to put your finger through the trigger guard, and anyone who has shot a rifle knows that's what fires them. And the gun was loaded? And the safety was off? Sorry, I'm not buying it without investigating thoroughly.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jotus

Post by jotus »

More bad news for responsible firearm owners

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Songbird wrote:
Shane Adair told police he's not sure if he touched the gun as his wife reached out to hand it to him,
Not sure???? :banghead: My prayers are with them. So tragic and preventable.
I suppose I should be praying for them, but my struggle after reading this is that can't bring myself to do it. I with those who are suspicious of the husband. The story was first posted on the news website on 5/17. When do Colorado's bans go into effect?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

riiano

Post by riiano »

the headline should have read WOMAN SHOOTS HERSELF WHEN HANDLING A AK-47 UNSAFTLY.
something that makes me wonder, story reads gun went off a second time when woman fell foward down stairs. shouldn't the woman fall backward after being hit with the shot. gun might have went off again when hit floor, or husband pulled trigger again when tried to drop it to catch wife

jmra

Post by jmra »

riiano wrote:the headline should have read WOMAN SHOOTS HERSELF WHEN HANDLING A AK-47 UNSAFTLY.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not sure it has been determined that she did shoot herself. We may never know what actually happened.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

shame.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

riiano wrote:the headline should have read WOMAN SHOOTS HERSELF WHEN HANDLING A AK-47 UNSAFTLY.[/qoute]
Agreed.
riiano wrote:something that makes me wonder, story reads gun went off a second time when woman fell foward down stairs. shouldn't the woman fall backward after being hit with the shot.
Only in the movies :tiphat:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Never Again!!”