uh, the kid opened his car door!!!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: uh, the kid opened his car door!!!

Post by RPBrown »

Yesterday we did our annual run to the DFW Memorial Cemetary for the Memorial Day festivities. We had 28 bikes going south on loop 12. As a road captain, I was the last bike in the group. We were in the right lane doing the speed limit.

Had a guy come flying up on my six and slowed down just before he got to me, maybe 25-30 feet away (still too close for my comfort as fast as he was going). He stayed behind us for about a mile then whipped over to the next lane and floored it (sped up very fast for you younger folk). Then he gets at about the halfway point of our group and decides he wants the right lane, NOW, and proceeds to quickly move over. We had 2 guys move to the shoulder to keep from getting hit. Then the guy starts blowing his horn for the group to speed up. When we wouldn't, he decided to pass on the shoulder which was throwing rocks and trash onto the riders behind him. The guy then makes a quick exit and pulls into a gas station.

We continued on but I cant help but imagine what would have happened if we would have had some new riders with us as we normally put them in the center of the pack so everyone can keep an eye on them.

BTW, we did tell one of the officers directing traffic ath the entrance what happened and he asked if we got the plate # which I did. Don'' know if he was going to call it in or what.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

RPBrown wrote:Yesterday we did our annual run to the DFW Memorial Cemetary for the Memorial Day festivities. We had 28 bikes going south on loop 12. As a road captain, I was the last bike in the group. We were in the right lane doing the speed limit.

Had a guy come flying up on my six and slowed down just before he got to me, maybe 25-30 feet away (still too close for my comfort as fast as he was going). He stayed behind us for about a mile then whipped over to the next lane and floored it (sped up very fast for you younger folk). Then he gets at about the halfway point of our group and decides he wants the right lane, NOW, and proceeds to quickly move over. We had 2 guys move to the shoulder to keep from getting hit. Then the guy starts blowing his horn for the group to speed up. When we wouldn't, he decided to pass on the shoulder which was throwing rocks and trash onto the riders behind him. The guy then makes a quick exit and pulls into a gas station.

We continued on but I cant help but imagine what would have happened if we would have had some new riders with us as we normally put them in the center of the pack so everyone can keep an eye on them.

BTW, we did tell one of the officers directing traffic ath the entrance what happened and he asked if we got the plate # which I did. Don'' know if he was going to call it in or what.
You obviously didn't have your SoA colors on or I am sure that the whole group would have stopped for 'gas' at the same station he did. :evil2:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Purplehood wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Yesterday we did our annual run to the DFW Memorial Cemetary for the Memorial Day festivities. We had 28 bikes going south on loop 12. As a road captain, I was the last bike in the group. We were in the right lane doing the speed limit.

You obviously didn't have your SoA colors on or I am sure that the whole group would have stopped for 'gas' at the same station he did. :evil2:
Nah, traded the SoA colors for Fellowship Riders or Mason colors a few years back. We did think about it though. He needed a serious sermon. :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

Keith B wrote:
TREKFAN wrote:So question. If im stopped and someone gets out if their car after some sort of incident of being cut off or horn being honked, or like this situation the OP was in, would yall have drawn? I think I would have. I don't know who thus person is, walking to me, got out if his car after a road rage type incident. I think I would have drawn to protect my self and car.
I would be on the ready, but a person just getting out of their car and coming back to talk to you does not constitute pulling a gun on them. If they walk back, they may be coming to ask for help because they have a medical emergency and no phone, coming to apologize for cutting you off, etc. Be prepared, but don't be paranoid to the point of doing something way overboard.
True, thanks for correcting me. :cheers2:
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

E10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E10 »

knotquiteawake wrote:At this point my gun was out of its holster and in my lap.
I understand you wanted to be ready, but this is probably not a good idea. If you have an accident, or even just have to stop quickly, your handgun could end up on the floorboard, under the seat or brake pedal, or somewhere even more inaccessible. Better to keep it in your normal carry place, so you know exactly where it is and can get to it.

Look up the 1986 FBI Miami firefight, in which agents attempted to apprehend two bank robbers. The first agents on the scene (in three cars) had placed their service weapons on the car seat in anticipation of a gunfight. However, they had to ram the suspects' vehicle to force it off the road, and at least two handguns went flying upon impact. Those agents had to use their backup snubnose .38s, when they normally carried .357s. The bad guys were armed with at least one .357 revolver, a shotgun, and a Mini-14; the FBI entered the fight with two .38 Specials, three .357s, three 9mm autos, and a shotgun. The rifle turned out to be an enormous combat multiplier. It's unclear whether the lack of firepower contributed to the heavy casualties among the FBI, but early loss of two powerful service weapons surely disrupted their efforts. Interestingly, it was an FBI agent who finally ended the fight with his S&W .357 revolver.

Wikipedia isn't always a reliable source, but I think it'll serve in this case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

E10 wrote:
I understand you wanted to be ready, but this is probably not a good idea. If you have an accident, or even just have to stop quickly, your handgun could end up on the floorboard, under the seat or brake pedal, or somewhere even more inaccessible. Better to keep it in your normal carry place, so you know exactly where it is and can get to it.

Look up the 1986 FBI Miami firefight, in which agents attempted to apprehend two bank robbers. The first agents on the scene (in three cars) had placed their service weapons on the car seat in anticipation of a gunfight. However, they had to ram the suspects' vehicle to force it off the road, and at least two handguns went flying upon impact. Those agents had to use their backup snubnose .38s, when they normally carried .357s. The bad guys were armed with at least one .357 revolver, a shotgun, and a Mini-14; the FBI entered the fight with two .38 Specials, three .357s, three 9mm autos, and a shotgun. The rifle turned out to be an enormous combat multiplier. It's unclear whether the lack of firepower contributed to the heavy casualties among the FBI, but early loss of two powerful service weapons surely disrupted their efforts. Interestingly, it was an FBI agent who finally ended the fight with his S&W .357 revolver.

Wikipedia isn't always a reliable source, but I think it'll serve in this case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout
I see what you mean. Its was nerves. I shoulda kept both hands on the wheel anyways. Having someone flip out like that gave me a lot of stuff to think about as far as how to handle things, where to go, where to pull off, and so on for next time.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

I would say, "to draw or not to draw," would depend largely upon the body language of the person getting out of their car.

Watch their body language. Watch their expression. Watch their hands. Listen to their tone of voice.

Tomorrow, I may get cut-off while in uniform and a marked vehicle, by some panicked person who had a problem and sought out the first law enforcement officer they could find. Tomorrow, I may get cut-off by someone who has a chip on their shoulder and means me harm. It's no different for anyone else, either. Be ready for either possibility.

I won't second-guess the Opening Poster on this one. I don't know where OP carries, to judge how quickly he could have gotten to it; having the gun in his lap might (or might not) have been more time-practical than waiting to draw it until he knew he'd need it. I didn't see the driving patterns of OP's Irate Driver, only read the description. I didn't see the body language, expressions, and tones of voice of the Irate Driver.

But this thread provides some good "food for thought." When you go for a drive, where do you keep your pistol? Is it secure, in event of a crash? Is it accessible, in case of an assault? Where is your phone? Will THAT go flying if you hit something or are hit? But can you get to that too, in case you need to call police or EMS? Good things to keep in mind.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go. I've learned not to get in my wife's way, either. :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

We have stuff happening like this at least once or twice a year here in DFW.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

A couple of years ago I was Christmas shopping and I pulled out of a parking space with my headlights off (forgot) and almost got run over. The young man gets out of his car and walks back to mine, he was pretty fair sized as well. I said, "My bad, sorry." And he starts railing, I stop him and said, in my best dad voice, "Now son, I've already said I'm sorry. You best get on back to your vehicle before we both do something we'll regret." He stood there, swallowed, then nodded and returned to his van.

Yes I had my carry handy, no I did not present it or do the Paul Blart hand on hip thing. When I told my wife about it I speculated that it may have been because I look like LEO. She said, "No. I know the look you get when you get like that. He just decided he wanted to live."
"rlol"
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Dragonfighter wrote:... "Now son, I've already said I'm sorry. You best get on back to your vehicle before we both do something we'll regret." ...
Great line. :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Dragonfighter wrote:A couple of years ago I was Christmas shopping and I pulled out of a parking space with my headlights off (forgot) and almost got run over. The young man gets out of his car and walks back to mine, he was pretty fair sized as well. I said, "My bad, sorry." And he starts railing, I stop him and said, in my best dad voice, "Now son, I've already said I'm sorry. You best get on back to your vehicle before we both do something we'll regret." He stood there, swallowed, then nodded and returned to his van.

Yes I had my carry handy, no I did not present it or do the Paul Blart hand on hip thing. When I told my wife about it I speculated that it may have been because I look like LEO. She said, "No. I know the look you get when you get like that. He just decided he wanted to live."
"rlol"
I did that years ago, but in a different manner. I was a young man of 21. I pulled into a manual car wash just as someone was pulling out and took the stall. There had been an older man (guessing in his 60's) sitting off to the side of the lot with the car door open and putting on rubber boots. I got out, started putting money in the wash and he came in telling me he had been waiting on this stall. I advised I had no way of knowing he was waiting on a particular stall as he was off the the side of the lot and not in line for any one particular. He the said I should have known and he was going to teach me a lesson. I looked him square in the eye, turned the sprayer in his direction and said 'I don't think you want to start anything we'll both regret in the end.' He kind of got a sheepish look on his face and just turned and left. What he didn't see was the snub nosed .38 I carried off duty in an SOB holster was under my vest in back. He really didn't know how lucky he was, cause if he had started something he would have gotten a spray-down and then arrested for assault. I am sure his mug shot would have looked great all wet. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

E10 wrote:

One of them also lost his glasses.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Dragonfighter wrote:Yes I had my carry handy, no I did not present it or do the Paul Blart hand on hip thing. When I told my wife about it I speculated that it may have been because I look like LEO. She said, "No. I know the look you get when you get like that. He just decided he wanted to live."
"rlol"

I have been told I get a similar look on my face under certain circumstances. I have also been told it is a smile you really do not want to see.

I don't know for sure. I have never seen it.
:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Never Again!!”